M109 Rider Forums banner

Question; Higher Watt Bulb in Headlight?(had close call)

1K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  rasputin 
#1 ·
I found some 90/130 watt bulbs for $25, of course these are for off road use only, which is the only thing I use my nine for :D . Would it be safe to put these in my nine? Has anyone done it? I don't have the cash for the HID kit as of now and I need more light. Had a close call the other night, some cager decided I was invisible and started to turn left right in front of me, I locked the back brake up, slid sideways, but luckily they saw me at the last second and stopped. If they had not I would of had no choice but to hit them, probably at around 20 miles per hour or so, scared the :edit: out of me. Anyway I want a brighter light without spending the hundred plus for HID. Here are the lamps.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2012446/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2012446/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/Ns-p_MIN_PRICE|0/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=h4+bulb

#2 ·
BadBill19 said:
I found some 90/130 watt bulbs for $25, of course these are for off road use only, which is the only thing I use my nine for :D . Would it be safe to put these in my nine? Has anyone done it? I don't have the cash for the HID kit as of now and I need more light. Had a close call the other night, some cager decided I was invisible and started to turn left right in front of me, I locked the back brake up, slid sideways, but luckily they saw me at the last second and stopped. If they had not I would of had no choice but to hit them, probably at around 20 miles per hour or so, scared the :edit: out of me. Anyway I want a brighter light without spending the hundred plus for HID. Here are the lamps.
Bill..what about that unit that makes yer headlight blink/flash...sorry can't remeber what it's called....but I'm
sure somdbody will chime in :bigthumbsup:

#4 ·
Will i have the headlight modulator from kisan technologies called a pathblazer.... however it does nothing at night (it only flashes your headlight during the day, with normal operation at night..) I used a silver star headlight in my bike and am very happy with its performance...

#5 ·
walker said:
i would think it would be fine. i've been thinking about doing the same thing recently. was thinking about the xenon blue. let me know how it works out.
I was thinking about that one too, but it is only 55/65 watts and I read some bad reviews that said it was no brighter than stock. :( Thats when I found these off road lights, but I am worried about heat and burnin up wires and such so I don't know if I am going to try them yet. After all;

65 watts equals 5.42 amps at 12volts
130 watts is twice as much current *I probably won't go that high, too scary :eek:

#7 ·
Higher wattage will not make you more visible...just make the stuff in front of you more visible..I would not go with the Higher wattage you will blow the Hi beam fuse and if you 'up' the fuse rating you will cook the Hi beam relay. Fuses are both 10A..10a x 12v =120 W.... Heat could be a problem too!
Go HID..more light with LOWER current draw!
Cagers at intersections..I'm afraid you just have to expect that they will do that and drive defensively! Their minds get tuned to looking for cars and we are unfortunately too small an object to register.

#8 ·
Suggest a Stebel air horn if they havent noticed your headlight you need to wake them up plenty of decibels.Otherwise more lights are better that one light, brightness does not make you more visible to a car driver who is probably playing with the audio entertainment system. Answer loud horn more lights.
Cheers
Phil

#9 ·
DON'T DO IT!!!!

The wire to the headlight is 16ga, it will make you more visible alright, when your harness goes up in flames, everyone will see that.

#10 ·
I was actually wondering this myself.....but was doing searches for the answer. Couldn't find any. I'm coming from quads and sleds....don't actually have the bike yet, will be ordering it next month. I always changed out my stockers for PIAA lights. No problems with the wattage, but then agian we aren't talking about a bike. But talk about bright! You'll get noticed, alot more than with a stock bulb. Just not sure about application. If anyone can find the answer about going brighter, I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

http://www.piaa.com/

#12 ·
JustBman posted just the picture I was thinking about.. That freaking HID is the brightest headlight I've ever seen on the 109. I run the Silver Stars and mine is nowhere as bright. The picture is a perfect example of the brightness compared to the other stock bikes.

I was riding in front of him for a while and let me tell you, the damn light was blinding the crap out of me... Therefore, I WANT ONE!!! :bigthumbsup:

If cagers don't see you coming with that light, they don't need to be driving..... :eek:

G
#14 ·
Man that HID kit from A&R is the $#!+ !!

I have the air horn ready to install soon.

And I went with the PIAA Driving lights for good measure.

Any one do a laser guided machine gun mod? I need one for the next guy that doesn't see me, so I can blow out their tire.

I was originally thinking about a catapult of some kind that I could load with nails or something and throw them infront of the car. :evil: Then I realized it wouldn't be such a good idea since I would probably be right behind them. :redfaced:

I'll figure it out.

#16 ·
hi ,to my pal w/headlit problems please check out ebay for a cheap but good set of 2 hids cost of 97 buks .Now with a little bit of time you can modify the 109 head placing the ballast on the inside top of headlight cover, remove the stock bulb place a 1/4''sleave to resest the hid bulb fm:base then fab a u shape clamp to hold blub in place and you will have a bright ,low heat,low wattage headlit for your 109 like i did .what i got is 9007 8000k auto conversion kit item #130111869700 . you will have 2 ballasts and 2 bulbs for $97.00 +free shipping , also electrical connection is very easy yes you will lost your hi beam which you don't need with a hid .Yes i was @ OBI some weeks back w/black 109 KRIS

#17 ·
Delmustator said:
JustBman posted just the picture I was thinking about.. That freaking HID is the brightest headlight I've ever seen on the 109. I run the Silver Stars and mine is nowhere as bright. The picture is a perfect example of the brightness compared to the other stock bikes.
What is the part # for a head light replacement using Sylvania Silver Stars? Thanks.

#22 ·
justbman said:
Guess which 9 has the HID light? (image)
I always ride with my brights during the day!!! heres an eBay auction I just found http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006...temQQhashZitem160140588216QQitemZ160140588216
It bothers me that on a car you get two ballast and two cables for less than that ($130), now I'm not against anyone making a profit but this, to me, seems a little extreme, especially since all they are really doing is building a new cable. But thats just me.

#24 ·
BadBill19 said:
I was thinking about that one too, but it is only 55/65 watts and I read some bad reviews that said it was no brighter than stock. :( Thats when I found these off road lights, but I am worried about heat and burnin up wires and such so I don't know if I am going to try them yet. After all;

65 watts equals 5.42 amps at 12volts
130 watts is twice as much current *I probably won't go that high, too scary :eek:
You beat me to it...but you could always you the passing light to flash high beams at drivers at night...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.