The Tangarines are gone! [Archive] - M109Riders.com

: The Tangarines are gone!

sjnoble2
04-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Did some shopping in the sport bike part of the local bike shop...

Before

* ** * * * http://image2.frappr.com/pix2/i/20060430/c/8/4/c843a74fcae5ce9878594d0449e491960

After

** * * * * http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20060430/9/4/a/94a18ab3316b51417da8c0d4ef8251fb0

toneout
04-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Nicely done.

Twin00
04-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Looks good bro!

Lamonster
04-30-2006, 03:59 PM
:bigthumbsup:

Aussie109
04-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Is that your other ride in the background? (like the white tyres ;)
Looks cool withe the indicator mods
Cheers

ditch
04-30-2006, 07:15 PM
So could you give us a little more info as to what the parts are from, what it cost, and how hard it was to put on? I think I would like to try it but would be nice to make it as easy as possible with the most amount of info on it. Thanks, looks great :bigthumbsup:

sjnoble2
05-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Is that your other ride in the background? (like the white tyres ;)
Looks cool withe the indicator mods
Cheers

Yeah, you caught me. I have to split seat time with my 4 year old daughter, but she won't let me ring the bell. :)

bob109
05-01-2006, 08:08 AM
Visiting a Victory dealer on Saturday to check on a tire fit I noticed the tear drop rear lights on a Victory Vegas.....for a stock light they are really sharp. They have a black body which matches the stock 109 license plate bracket.......most if not all of the items on the Vegas were designed by Arlen and Corey Ness. Just a thought for those wanting to change the stock 109 roundies.

sjnoble2
05-01-2006, 12:07 PM
So could you give us a little more info as to what the parts are from, what it cost, and how hard it was to put on?* I think I would like to try it but would be nice to make it as easy as possible with the most amount of info on it. Thanks, looks great :bigthumbsup:

For difficulty level, I'll put it like this, I tap on a keyboard for a living (system analyst) and can pick out the correct end of a screw driver 3 outta 4 times. It took some patients to figure out which screw needed to come out to take the backend down to subframe, but I got there. As for parts; from what I saw for license plate holders, almost any sportbike kind will do since you are going to have to do some cutting and drilling anyway. It came with bent tabs which made mounting the turn signals a no brainer. Of course, a couple of small 'L' bracket coming off the top holes on the license plate would do the same job. As other have stated, LaMonster included, you will have to take a cutoff wheel to that ugly piece of plastic in the back. Just take your time and look carefully where to cut and drill. I also mounted a 5-LED clear light strip for plate illumination at night. (Used strong 2-sided foam tape for that)

License plate bracket - $50.00
Turn signals - $20.00
Clear LED's for plate illumination - $25.00

Could probably have done it cheaper, but WTF, it was all right there when I was at the shop.

Black Ram
05-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Much better!!

ditch
05-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks

Joshua_109
05-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Looks good all cleaned up. I'm thinking I'll do something like this on mine if I get the courage to start cutting on it. I'm trying to decide between this look or the thin led bars.
:confused:

sjnoble2
05-01-2006, 06:42 PM
I thought for a while before I decided this route over a side mount. Both options really make that back tire jump out and seem even larger. I just thought from the side, with a side mount plate, the rear fender started to look a little too motocross style for my taste and that was one of the few things that drove me nvts (reference to "History of the World, Part I") about my VTX 1300c.

Either way, I think almost everybody agrees that SOMETHING has to be done to that rear end.

Joshua_109
05-01-2006, 06:44 PM
We could still mount the plate on back if we did the led bar signals right? I'm not a fan of the side plate mounts. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

zebber
05-01-2006, 09:29 PM
sjnoble2 ,, how did you mount the plate holder ? and what kind or brand did you get ? i like that look and would like to do it to mine .

sjnoble2
05-01-2006, 10:21 PM
sjnoble2 ,, how did you mount the plate holder ?* and what kind or brand did you get ?* i like that look and would like to do it to mine .

The plate holder is a generic one. On the package it says, "Sidetrack Fender Removal Kits, Universal Mount". I did a search on-line, but came up empty. Probably Chinese. I know it's hard to tell in the photo, but the new license plate holder is actually at a 45 degree angle to the bottom of the rear fender and set under it by a few inches. It came with that bend and it has tabs already there for mounting the new turn signals. Anyway, Under the tail of the bike is part of the subframe that is actually parallel to the ground and has a couple of holes already there. Once you get all the plastic out of the way and old lights disconnected, it pretty well jumps out at you where and how to mount it. I lined up some holes after I centered plate, enlarged the holes I needed to and bolted it on. Some of the mounting bracket was invading the area where the rear tire lives, and even though it would have been unlikely to have ever touched rubber, I trimmed up a good portion of the mounting bracket that had no bearing on where and how it was mounted...Just to be safe.

BTW, the lights are "Lockhart Phillips". They are conventional filament type lights, so no load balancer was needed. They also make a connection kit that goes for about $5.00 that will plug into the stock Suzuki wiring harness...no splicing needed. :D