Metric Cruiser Question [Archive] - M109Riders.com

: Metric Cruiser Question

bollert
04-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Being new to metric cruisers one question is burning in my mind. What kind of performance increases can be achieved through pipe/FI mods? On sportbikes you pretty much know that a quality pipe will get you 7-10 hp with proper mapping. With the 109, it seems the engineers spent a lot of time on the exhaust to get sound and performance and put a lot of chrome on them - I assume because they don't think the average customer will yank it off like a sportbike guy. Which brands of cruiser pipes typically deliver good HP increases AND maintain drivability (torque), and can we expect good things for the 109?

300CREW
04-28-2006, 02:19 PM
You would be surprised at how many people ditch the stock pipes on cruisers. From what I understand, Vance&Hines and Jardine do very well performance wise.

phaed
04-28-2006, 05:38 PM
i think we stand to gain a lot after seeing how small our air cleaner is.

Lamonster
04-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Personaly I think we should be able to get an extra 20hp pretty easy. Anything more than that is going to take some work. ::)

ridehard
04-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Vance & Hines does the best, but any thing to open this monster up will help

toneout
04-28-2006, 10:54 PM
It's not just air out (pipes). It has to include air in (intakes) and fuel. There are three variables there and we don't know the combination yet. There's not just alot available yet.

BigBoreBiker
04-29-2006, 02:26 AM
Whats up with the term "metric cruiser"?

bob109
04-29-2006, 04:09 AM
Whats up with the term "metric cruiser"?
Japanese made motorcycle........

bob109
04-29-2006, 04:17 AM
i think we stand to gain a lot after seeing how small our air cleaner is.
You might be surprised to know that the 109 has two air cleaners.....the left one has been mentioned on numerous occasions because that is where the oil breather line dumps excess oil when the infamous crank case overfill occurs. I recall reading that the 109 has a rather large "total air box area". I'm sure K&N will have something rather quickly which will improve air flow :D :D :D

forceofnature
04-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Japanese made motorcycle........

Actually Victory Cycles are considered metric as well. Metric I think has more to do with the tools needed now.

bollert
05-01-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm just parroting the term metric cruiser as I've heard it several times. I suppose it came from the fact that it is japanese and therefore has metric fasteners. But the other reason I use the term is to delineate the difference between our bike and a HD. Harley's top of the line engine makes 63 HP, and ours makes 100+ rwhp. My point is that it seems it would be more difficult to squeeze more power out of something that has so much more engineering on the the front end. Sportbikes are getting more difficult to increase peak HP. You can make them run better and smoother, but not necessarily a lot faster. I'd be real interested to see that 20 HP Lamonster mentioned.