M109 Rider Forums banner

gas mileage

10K views 70 replies 44 participants last post by  eire1965 
#1 ·
I know gas mileage shouldn't be a concern when riding a bike like this but I am just curious to know if anyone has checked on their bike. I average 32 to 33 mpg and have 400 miles on it now. Let me know what you're getting and if it changed with the miles you put on.

#15 ·
Hey guys if anyone is asking...quote the mpg in Canadian (english) gallons....it will impress them even more. I haven't check mileage, but it usually takes me 3 times longer to fill up...lots of people with questions about the bike. My first fill took 15 minutes for $10.00 worth...had at least 10 people standing around the bike after I paid.

rideher

#16 ·
i was really curious about this as well. my gauge read full when i left the dealer. i got only 84 miles before the gas light came on. i did the math...5 gallons, 84 miles...something's wrong. i refilled it, and am at 46 miles since the fill up, and the gas gauge reads full still. not sure if the EFI had to adjust, or the tank wasn't really full the first time. lookin forward to burning the rest of that tank tomorrow (only had the bike 2 days).

#17 ·
phaed said:
i was really curious about this as well. my gauge read full when i left the dealer. i got only 84 miles before the gas light came on. i did the math...5 gallons, 84 miles...something's wrong. i refilled it, and am at 46 miles since the fill up, and the gas gauge reads full still. not sure if the EFI had to adjust, or the tank wasn't really full the first time. lookin forward to burning the rest of that tank tomorrow (only had the bike 2 days).
It wasn't full to begin with. I rode 70 miles, and my guage showed full. At 100miles, it only dropped 1 notch, but took over 2 1/2 gallons. The notches come off quicker, once the first one goes.

#18 ·
VZR1800 said:
It wasn't full to begin with. I rode 70 miles, and my guage showed full. At 100miles, it only dropped 1 notch, but took over 2 1/2 gallons. The notches come off quicker, once the first one goes.
I just noticed that as well. It dropped one bar at 105 miles. And my fuel light seems to come on with 4.2 gallons used. That would mean that there is still a gallon left, 5.2 gallon tank,right?

G
#19 ·
The only thing I've figured out about the fuel gauge is that, unless you're way out in the boonies, you can run down to 1 bar with the little fuel pump flashing before you have to start looking for fuel. Every time I've done that I've had a gallon or just a little less than a gallon left in the tank.

BTW I just logged over 1000 miles and on the last fuel fill I got 44.2 MPG :eek:.

I know, I know......I'm not having enough fun. But I ride with my wife, She has an ST1300, and unless I wanna sleep in the garage I have to behave :redfaced:.

#20 ·
alright. good to know i'm not the only one that was confused with the fueld guage. i mean, ya figure 5 bars, 5 gallons...should work out perfectly. guess not.

p.s. just curious, do you guys bother sitting on your bike when filling up to keep it centered, and get it completely full, or do you just keep it on the kickstand?

#21 ·
I sit on mine and keep it level. Seems you can't get an acurate fill unless its straight up. I fill it till the gas just touches the bottom of the circle and completely seals the tank. Gives you an acurate fill to check mileage. I now have 775 miles and its getting warmer here. only getting 33 with mine. Some highway and some city to work. Hope it gets better with more miles and warmer weather. Gas keeps going up.

#22 ·
gradona said:
The only thing I've figured out about the fuel gauge is that, unless you're way out in the boonies, you can run down to 1 bar with the little fuel pump flashing before you have to start looking for fuel. Every time I've done that I've had a gallon or just a little less than a gallon left in the tank.

BTW I just logged over 1000 miles and on the last fuel fill I got 44.2 MPG :eek:.

I know, I know......I'm not having enough fun. But I ride with my wife, She has an ST1300, and unless I wanna sleep in the garage I have to behave :redfaced:.
Well I would not run it to low. By looking in the manual, it looks like to pump is in the fuel tank. So that means that the gas does two things. First is to provide fuel for the bike and the second is to keep the fuel pump cool. When that light starts blinking, I go to the closest gas station and fill up.

#23 ·
rynosback said:
I just noticed that as well. It dropped one bar at 105 miles. And my fuel light seems to come on with 4.2 gallons used. That would mean that there is still a gallon left, 5.2 gallon tank,right?
Still figuring it out myself. When i'm down to 1 notch, there's still a gallon or so in there. I've never waited for the last notch to start blinking though.
One thing i will say is once the first notch goes, the rest follow suit, at like twice the rate.

#25 ·
ditch said:
I sit on mine and keep it level. Seems you can't get an acurate fill unless its straight up.
The only problem with that is, if by chance, you overfill, you may get a gas bath. You've probably done it this way so long, it's not an issue, but for others not used to filling it that way.............whooops ! :eek:

I just fill it on the stand, and let it go to the top. The proper head space will be there automatically, since it was filled while leaning.

#26 ·
Here's a thought. You pull up to the gas station and you just want to top it off. Maybe a gallon or two. Some one that used the pump before you used a low octane and its still in the hose. you hit the 91 octane and until the hose empties out, your getting 89 octane. Ever think of that? If the tank is not really low your adding alot of 89 to the tank. One more thing to think about. I guess I'll try to find stations where each octane has its own hose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.