M109 Rider Forums banner

2nd Gear Slipping

5K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  blubyubusa 
#1 ·
Hi ALLL... I have only one complain about my M109, i have a very unpleasant shift from 1st gear to 2nd Gear.. Is this a normal problem everyone is facing or do i need to contact the dealer to get it rectified..

#2 ·
sounds like it's BECOMING pretty normal, suxs every which way.. Dealer may replace if under warranty but if not it may cost you a pretty penny..

Use the search to find similar post on the matter, they wont be hard to find unfortunately =/

#7 ·
1) Is it slipping out of 2nd gear when you put it into 2nd?

2) or are you just having a little trouble changing into 2nd??

If it's the 2nd problem, you just have to change gear like you mean it,
trying to be gentle from 1st to 2nd you will struggle to get it in.

#10 ·
1) Is it slipping out of 2nd gear when you put it into 2nd?

2) or are you just having a little trouble changing into 2nd??

If it's the 2nd problem, you just have to change gear like you mean it,
trying to be gentle from 1st to 2nd you will struggle to get it in.
I have the problem only when i shift to the 2nd gear from 1st upward.. Rest all gears are perfectly normal. Even it is very smooth when you are lowering the gear.

#15 ·
#16 ·
Switching to the smaller after market shift star in combination with synthetic oil has eliminated shifting issues for me and pre-loading the shift lever does help immensely. I wonder if the "shift it like you mean it" technique is how shift forks are getting bent?

#17 · (Edited)
Nope... Please see first post in thread linked above.:bigthumbsup:

or this video

#22 ·
I guess I've lucked out then too because my '07 is closing in on 20K and shifts like butta!

#24 ·
Must be the number 1 issue with this bike. Right now there are 4 or 5 threads on tranny prob.s on the first page of the general board!

#26 ·
shifting issues

Last September I purchased my nine from a Harley dealer. It was a trade in on one of their touring bikes. The machine had about 1800 miles on it and an incredible amount of aftermarket chrome, I thought I was getting a deal. I knew about the shifter problem just not the seriousness. It is an 08, I have installed the smaller shifter star and am using amzoil, the one two shift is still a problem and frankly I really like the bike but I am afraid to ride it like I have always ridden bikes, that is an occasional trip to the track. Additionally a friend that runs a suzuki dealership has told me to sell the bike's as the transmission is "junk." Good luck to the rest of you. I am still contemplating whether to keep it or sell it. I will say that of the bike forums I frequent this is by far the very BEST and I do enjoy it more that any other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.