M109 Rider Forums banner

2nd Bike Busa or ZX-14?

12K views 105 replies 54 participants last post by  BIGDOG43 
#1 ·
Title says it all. I am considering getting another bike. I have narrowed it down to the ones I listed.
ZX-14

Busa

And please give reasons why you would go with one or the other. Any help would be appreciated. :bigthumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
IMHO I would go with the BUSA they both have more power than you will ever use on the street, but the busa has been out a lot longer and has every aftermarcket thing you could think of. On a personal note no matter how fast the 14 is the ugly always catches up to it when it slows down or stops. :barf: :barf: :barf: Can you say Top Gun.

#4 ·
Liner80 said:
IMHO I would go with the BUSA they both have more power than you will ever use on the street, but the busa has been out a lot longer and has every aftermarcket thing you could think of. On a personal note no matter how fast the 14 is the ugly always catches up to it when it slows down or stops. :barf: :barf: :barf: Can you say Top Gun.
I like the Busa also. I think it's one of the baddest looking bikes on the planet.

#5 ·
Busa to the bone!

#6 ·
I was a Kawasaki man, started with a brand new H2 750 triple when I was 16, but I picked up a Hayabusa in 1999 (after I tired of waiting for Kawasaki to drop the ZX-13), presently I am on my second Hayabusa and I can say its a great bike, take a look at the fit and finish between the two and you will see that the Hayabusa reigns supreme.

The Hayabusa has a cult following with huge aftermarket support, the 2008 Hayabusa is a awesome bike and I plan to add one to my arsenal.

The ZX-14 looks to be a nice ride but this is Kawasaki's second try at besting the 'Busa (the ZX-12R was a failed attempt).

I do like the Matrix Sentinel looking face of the ZX-14!, both bikes are capable of 9 second 1/4 mile blasts if you can ride it, I just think the Hayabusa is a better built/better riding bike all the way around.

#7 ·
Here are a few things to compare.
Power delivery- busa has a little more hit down low than the 14 in bone stock form, but the 14 is a lot easier to ride fast.

Clutch- The 14 has the best clutch ever put in a bike. It is rock solid and can take a lot of abuse. The busa's clutch is less than steller

Brakes- 14 hands down. the Busa can't hold a light to the 14's brakes. They're a lot better than the 1st generation of busa's wooden brakes, but still lacking.

Handling - the busa has a lot more agressive riding position and stiffer front forks, so if you'r planning on taking it to a track it's definitely more suited for the job.

Ergonomics- The 14 is way more comfortable partly due to the fact that it has softer suspension and a more relaxed riding position. The other reason is that it isn't buzzy like the zuk is. The Kawi is silky smooth (which will get you in trouble because it wants to cruise at about 95 on the highway).

Headlights - The 14 has the brightest headlights ever put on a bike. This can also be a bad thing when riding at the back of a group at night. low beams are 2 projectors... Highbeams are 4 projectors.

Looks. It's all up to what you like here. Some people love the look of the busa but personally i think that it looks like a whale penis.

Aftermarket - The busa has tons of aftermarket support because of the fact that the base engine is the same as the gen 1, but remember that this year was an all new year model so it's still under development. The 14 has a great selection of parts as well, and a lot of very helpful group of followers.

***Disclaimer*** The following is my opinion and if someone else has their own which i am sure that they do, they are more than welcome to post thiers as well.

I went with the kawasaki, because i got a good deal on it and it is perfect for my type of riding. I commute on it daily, and take it to the drag strip on the weekend. I have raced Gen 1 and Gen 2 busas on mine and neither has posed any sort of problem for me unless they were spraying. I have not been able to ride an 08 14 yet, but Kawasaki changed when the secondary flies open to around 3,000 rpm rather than 6,000 like on my bike. Either way that you go, you can't go wrong. They're both very fast bikes and are both a lot more comfortable than a litre bike. I give the nod to the 14. It's more comfortable, Just as fast if not faster, and Is put together way better. To me the busa just feels cheap. Suzuki is known for cutting corners to get a bike out though. I say ride both of them, sleep on it, make your choice and enjoy. Welcome to the world of Hyperbikes. :bigthumbsup:

#8 ·
Oh yeah, there's absolutely no comparrison between the gen1 busa and the 14... it's like comparing a busa to a GSXR 1100 lmfao

#12 ·
Bawls said:
Oh yeah, there's absolutely no comparrison between the gen1 busa and the 14... it's like comparing a busa to a GSXR 1100 lmfao
Thank you for the great information Bawls. :bigthumbsup: I was wondering though have you heard much about the 2008 Busa? It seems they have changed a few things with it. For example the engine is 1340 I think, instead of the 1299 and they added a few other things aswell not sure though.

#15 ·
Converted said:
Used to be part of team green......

Go with the Busa!

Why... Build, handling, power, etc...

Just look at the market for these bikes, and see whom has actually cares about advancing the performance from a race perspective. JMO, and like I said I used to bleed green.
Have to disagree there on build. Everybody I've talked to says the ZX-14 is the best built, best engineered bike they've ever owned. Even people that can afford to buy anything they want say you can't touch the quality of the Kawi. We ALL know what Suzuki's quality is like

#16 ·
Both are great bikes. If you are looking for comfort and great brakes go with the Kawi. If you are looking for better performance and handling go with the Busa.

The Busa is nothing like the old one. They went from 1299 to 1340 cc, 11:1 to 12.5:1 compresion and new double barrel fuel injection. Along with a stiffer frame.

The ZX is mostly the same eccept the loss of some top end power to give it some mid range.

Here is my choice.

But I could have been happy with the other as well.

#17 ·
I am looking at the 'Busa as well. There are a lot out there for sale at good prices but buyer beware! Haven't heard of any frame failure recalls on the busa- can't say that for the 14.

#19 ·
i have not ridden on a 2008 zx-14, but i have tst driven a 2008 busa. i have to tell you that i would pick the busa on looks alone. that orange, is obviously the same orange as the new 9's, really pops out and the black adds to the effect. micon also makes a new exhaust that flows with the rear lines of the bike, so that sold me as well.

hate to bash another bike, especially since i have not been on it. but because it is all a matter of personal preference anyway, my choice would be the busa. in the black and orange of course. :D

#20 ·
I just can't get past the RF900 wannabe look of the ZX14. What idiot decided to put those stupid fins on the side of a sweet azz bike. I have owned a ZX10 and a ZX11 in the 90's and they couldn't even touch my 96' Suzuki 750 SRAD. Both bike are head of the pack in all aspects, you may want to check on insurance premiums first. The Busa is the #1 most stolen motorcycle in the country, the insurance is outrageous, that's why I got the M109.

#21 ·
Yes those blinkers are backwards... at the dragstrip, every little bit of reduced drag helps. If it helps any, my insurance for some reason is 40 a month for full coverage with a 250 dollar deductable through state farm.

#24 ·
Orange and black Busa for me thanks. When will you be delivering this to my house? I would choose the Busa based on looks and comfort, just from sitting on them of course. The Busa just fits my body size and style better. The ZX14 seems to built for a taller person and that's not me.

#25 ·
i've logged quite a few miles on both and the 14 is way more comfortable. I'm 5'9" tall and 165 lbs. You can also get helibars 3/4" risers and put buell 1" lowered pegs on if you decide to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.