Hi all, this wasn't going to be a "how to" but by the time I uploaded all the photos to explain what I had done it kinda ended up that way.
I have always liked the Holley mod because I thought it gave the best bang for your buck and I liked the clean look. But I see many had problems with fitting the clips on and I liked the use of perspex (I think plexiglass to you guys) used in early mods to keep some heat away.
So I went a step further and used 2 layers of perspex to allow room for the clips and this tidied things up while spacing the Holley units further out.
But this is a lot of work and took quite some time.
All the cutting was done with a jigsaw and then filed and sanded.
Anyone that has had the stock cleaners apart will know that the lip the stock filter sits against is raised
So the first layer is cut oversized around the old air filter area
The shaped hole in the second layer is cut closer to the shape of the plastic.
Notice all the raised lumps around the screw holes are all different heights and I had to drill all the holes to suit.
I tried to make them all have a small amount of clearance when assembled and I used a spade drill the same as you would use on wood so the bottom of the holes are sort of flat.
Of the larger holes the two lower and the centre top are drilled about 2mm into the second layer.
This is both layers ready to glue (just 1 side) I used Araldite and sanded the surface to be glued.
Notice the second layer with the extra cut off the top and bottom for the clips, and the odd shaped hole at the bottom is serves no purpose.
I got the back plates blank so I could cut them as I wanted.
I Used Silicon to make a seal surface and left it flat with the perspex so it will compress like rubber when dry.
I also used silicon to seal the holley back plate to the perspex and silicon on bolts and screws on assembly.
This is the adaptor on the bike ready to have the filter element installed.
I used the original screws thru the holes that once held the original elements in place and 5mm stainless bolts for the rest.
This is off the bike with the holley attached, I painted the edge matt black to suit the plastic.
This is the end result
As I said before this is a lot of work but I think the result is good and tidy
I have a few more mods on the go so I will keep you posted.