M109 Rider Forums banner

FactoryPro shift kit for M109R

25K views 70 replies 28 participants last post by  BigpapaM109 
#1 ·
Some of you may have seen my posts about my 2007 LE that's currently in the shop with tranny issues at 2k miles (jumping out of 2nd gear into neutral). So in the spirit of the 6 Million Dollar Man, I am going to make it better, I am going to make it stronger...

Years ago I installed a FactoryPro kit in my VFR and immediately noticed smoother, more positive shifts. They did not have one listed on their web site but gave them a few calls and spent some time with Leigh there cross-referencing M109R part numbers with him and it turns out that the Shift Kit for the SV-1000 will fit the M109R... now I have not installed mine yet (still battling with Suzuki to get them to warranty cover it failing) but I have a kit on order. He said they will be listing the kit for the M109R in the future.

http://www.factorypro.com/products/Factory_Pro_shift.html

Before I put it in I am sending my gears out to have them undercut.

http://www.aperaceparts.com/transmissions.html (the Hayabusa cut)

I am going build this :edit: transmission the way Suzuki should have designed it in the beginning.

more to come...
UPDATE ON MY BATTLE WITH SUZUKI (5/16/08):
http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php/topic,25775.0.html

UPDATE ON TRANSMISSION IMPROVEMENTS (2/29/08):
http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php/topic,25603.0.html

still more to come...

See less See more
#4 ·
That is good to hear. Had been thinking about that all day. Can they do a clutch fix for us? :joke:

#6 ·
My shift kit arrived today.

The M109R already has a roller bearing detent arm (a small :bigthumbsup: for Suzuki) so the kit consists of the EVO Shift Star and a beefier detent spring. Like it says on their web site: "...at last count, we'd eliminated over 7,223,243 missed shifts and saved about 32,711 2nd gears and shift forks. Transmission gears and forks get damaged when you miss a shift." Guess what, it's my 2nd gear and shifter fork that ended up being the culprit.

I am no rookie driver mind you, been riding for 32 years, taken the Reg Pridmore riding school at both Laguna Seca and Sears Point (http://www.classrides.com/). I KNOW how to shift a bike and I did certainly nothing to thrash mine. It's just a fragile design for such a bike. Everytime you miss a shift to 2nd think about that...

Now I just need to send the gears out to be undercut and, oh yea, for Suzuki to honor the warranty repair.::) C'mon guys - do the right thing!

The saga continues...

Scott

#8 ·
I like what it said about another bike they were using on thier site. " the bike missed 2nd several times". I think we could say that about the 9. I see one of thier kits in Silvers future...

#10 ·
CaliMan said:
My shift kit arrived today.

The M109R already has a roller bearing detent arm (a small :bigthumbsup: for Suzuki) so the kit consists of the EVO Shift Star and a beefier detent spring.
That's good to know. I'll probably get to mine before yours is back together, I'll take some photos. From what I remember doing my 1500, it's not very hard to do, it's all on the left side of the bike. Drain oil, remove chrome cover, remove hydraulic pusher cover 2 or 3 bolts (just tie off to the side), remove shifter cover, 4-5 bolts, remove ratchet mechanism 5 mm allen, and you're looking at the star and detent arm. For my fix (adding to the spring straight arm) remove spring, arm, 1 bolt, add to spring a spacer with red loctite, reassemble and add oil, test ride. It should feel more solid on the first shift.

#15 ·
Zoom said:
I've got strong feet (no, not that kind of strong) and a stronger spring isn't going to bother me a bit. Can't wait to see how this goes. :bigthumbsup:
The slight extra effort to shift won't be a problem I believe, my 1500 seemed about the same effort , just more precise feel as it went into gear, it felt like it snaps into place rather than oozing. I don't think those without a heel shifter need worry. I'm anxious to see how this works too, I'd kind of forgotten about it since it's been 5 years since I did it.
My wife just got home from her surgery late yesterday, so I'm tied up helping her,(not that I mind in the least) otherwise I'd have it done by now. It's been nice weather too. Oh well, I've got the whole spring and summer to look forward to.

#16 ·
hey bro sorry to hear about ur trans.. I dont have any prob with mine yet... but just wondering if i get this pro shift kit.. u mentioned that we already have a Microbearing Detent Arm soo is it safe to say for this mod out of the kit all we meed is the detent spring ....cuz it comes with the gasket spring and Microbearing Detent maybe we can save money and just get the spring....also is it an easy install for a 1st timer.... and if we have no trans probs do we have to undercut our gears?? thanks

#17 ·
sorry for no update on the heated grips ... i have had some personal issues im working on at the moment and im slowly working on everything. at the time i 1st posted the heated grips they where not complete i wanted to post to see if it was worth persuing i know the warm weather will be here soon but i am working on it and when i have answers everyone will get them... thank you all for your patients.. sooo can i please have a reply to the above post....thanks again

#20 ·
Alien,

Thanks for saving a potential hijack of the thread (emails work great for side conversations Crayzj ;) )

So yea Soprano, the EVO shift star is cut in such a way where, in combination with the stiffer detent spring, makes sure it solidly engages in gear. When I put the kit in my 1999 VFR I really did not notice any additional force required; keep in mind the VFR back then did not have a micro bearing to begin with so that smoothed things too. I never have missed a shift since.

My feeling is if you are going to go the the effort of installing the spring (really not a huge undertaking) defiantly put in the EVO Star too. It's your baby - no need to scrimp right?

As an extra added measure I am sending my gears out to have them undercut but hey, my engine is out of the bike and the transmission parts are in a box... ::) I will be posting photos i took today of the defective gears and shifter fork on my other thread on 'Denied Warranty Coverage of 2nd Gear Going Out?' post on the Main Message board .

#21 ·
crayzj said:
Since it looks like your in NY you should come down to Clifton Nj to hang at my restaurant...
crayzj said:
I run the Applebees where the Barnes and Noble,Chevys is.
He seems to be a little confused to. He says that he owns it then that he runs it. :dontknow:

Sorry that's all I have to say about that. :jacked:

Now back to the featured topic. :bigthumbsup:

#22 ·
CaliMan said:
WTF? :dontknow:

Did my thread really just get jacked by a manager of an Applebees in a strip mall in Jersey?

:jacked:

It's like something straight out of Office Space...

C'mon man - take this convo off line. We are talking about shift kits for a M109R not popcorn shrimp...
[/quo :agree:This is a good thread that I;m very interested it. Thanks caliman I really want to know how this turns out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.