M109 Rider Forums banner

Oil change

3K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  brianbigboy1000 
#1 ·
I thought this might shed some light as to the exact amount of oil needed to do an oil change. I let the oil drain out with the bike on the side stand, but I didn't stop there, and got on the bike and leaned it over to the right as far as I could, and low and behold, when you put it back on the stand you get even more oil out. Do this a few times and you find yourself needing the full 3600ml, that the book calls for, if not more.
Hoerider

#4 ·
:agree: I've talked to some "veteran" 109 owners and they reccomended for me to get on and rock it back and forth to get more oil out. When I did my first oil change, I thought all the oil was out but when I rocked it like they said, even more came out.

#5 ·
I got over well over 4 quarts out of mine when I did that, but it only took the recommended amount to fill it back up. It didn't show over full to begin with, so I'm not sure where the extra oil came from or why it didn't need as much to fill it back up. I probably spent 20 minutes leaning the bike over, sitting it back up, etc.

#21 ·
I got over well over 4 quarts out of mine when I did that, but it only took the recommended amount to fill it back up. It didn't show over full to begin with, so I'm not sure where the extra oil came from or why it didn't need as much to fill it back up. I probably spent 20 minutes leaning the bike over, sitting it back up, etc.
I made me a rocking machine...so far I figure I got 28 quarts out of her
:joke:

#9 ·
OIL CHANGE INSTRUCTIONS !

1) Get up, get dressed. Beg wife to go riding with you (so you can use her sadlebags because your 1300C model is too cool for them)
2) Got to Advanced Auto parts (AAP #1), find filter but not oil.
3) Don't buy filter here because you want to get everything at once.
4) Notice oil filter strap wrench... don't buy that either
5) Drive 25 miles to WalMart...
6) Note for future reference that WalMart doesn't have the oil you need.
7) Note also that they don't have the filter you need...
Cool Or the strap wrench
9) Drive 35 miles to Autozone...
10) Find 3 quarts of the oil you need.
11) Realize that you need 3.9 quarts
12) Ask the dropout at the counter for 4 quarts of oil...
13) Argue that you need four and there's only 3 on the shelf so could he please get you four from the back?
14) Stare blankly at him when he returns with 1 quart and tells you to get the other 3 from the shelf...
15) When he gets back from fetching the other 3 quarts ask him for the filter you need.
16) Discuss the briefly the relative value of carrying motorcycle oil but not motorcycle filters with the dropout.
17) Buy the oil. Dump in wifes saddle bags.
1Cool Leave the autozone, go to the Advanced Auto Part store across the street (Note: this is not the first AAP#1, this is AAP #2 30 miles away)
19) Stare dumbly at a wall full of filters until you're certain that they don't have it.
20) Ask clerk if they have one... just for fun.
21) Follow smug clerk to the other side of the store where the motorcycle filters are kept away from that wall full of mean old car filters.
22) Buy filter. Dump in wifes saddle bags.
23) Go to Sonic. Have lunch... you're going to need it.
24) Go home.
25) Read VTXOA while the bike cools a bit.
26) Try to find a flat spot.
27) Realize that on 3.9 Acres you don't have a single flat spot so find a "mostly" flat spot. (Technical note: it helps if there's gravel in this spot. The pain of laying on gravel really helps you keep awake)
2Cool Lie down next to the right side of the bike (pipe side)
29) Don't touch the pipes.. they're still hot.
30) Really hot.
31) Reach under the bike and turn the filter counter-clockwise.
32) It's hot too by the way.
33) Realize that the last person to change the oil was nicknamed Hercules and that the filter aint coming off.
34) Look around for a substitute for the filter wrench that you didn't buy.
35) Consider using a pipe wrench.
36) Realize that you've been looking for the damned pipe wrench for about 45 minutes and it's no longer on your property.
37) Consider driving a screwdriver through the filter like you did with that old 73 Ford truck.
3Cool Come to your senses and just go buy the damned filter wrench.
39) Lay out a couple of 2X4's for you to drive the rear wheel up on when you get back. (This is called thinking ahead!)
39) Hop on your mostly cool bike and drive to AAP #1.
40) Find the appropriate size strap wrench for your filter
41) Don't buy it. Buy the little cap over filter wrench next to it that's $3 cheaper
42) Go out to the parking lot. Try the cap wrench on your filter. Realize that it's too big.
43) Go inside, get the proper wrench and attempt to exchange it for the right one.
44) Argue with the dropout that you were only gone like 3 minutes so you couldn't have "used it and brought it back".
45) Give the drop out another $3. Leave.
46) Drive home.
47) Drive up on the 2X4's that you laid out earlier.
4Cool Retrieve 2X4's from across the driveway (Technical Note: A quick buff will cover the scratches where 2X4's that have been shot across the driveway have bounced off of your wifes bike. )
49) Reposition 2X4's in front of rear wheel.
50) Drive up on them SLOWLY
51) Get socket set.
52) Lay down beside bike on the right side (pipe side).
53) Don't touch they pipes they're now hot again.
54) Damned Hot!
55) Try 18mm socket on oil drain plug. Now try 16MM socket.
56) Get up from ground and go look for the damned 17MM socket.
57) Give up looking for the 17MM socket and ask your wife where it is.
5Cool Ignore her when she asks why you were buffing her bike.
59) Find old rusty deep-well 17MM socket in the back of the shed.
60) Lay down beside the bike on the right side (pipe side)
61) Don't touch the pipes, they're hot... seriously.
62) Check fit of rusty 17MM deepwell socket. Realize that it will work.
63) Get up... again. Go find something to drain the oil into.
64) After a while, give up and ask wife.
65) get 2 empty 1.5 Gal GAIN! containers from laundry room as recommended by wife.
66) Cut top off of GAIN jugs with a sharp knife.
67) Don't bother bandaging the cuts, the hot oil will stop the bleeding.
6Cool Lay down on the right side of the bike (pipe side)
69) Loosen forward Drain bolt until hot oils pours out on your hand. (Technical note: Dropping the drain bolt in the oil catch pan keep it warm until you're ready to reuse it).
70) Use brand new filter wrench to loosen filter. (Isn't it fun working with new tools?!)
71) Once loose, unscrew filter with hand until hot oil pours out on your hand.
72) Scream and drop filter into the oil catch pan
73) Get up and grasp around blindly until you find something suitable for wiping hot, used motor oil from your face and eyes.
74) Hide Summer Fresh bed sheets from the clothes line with motor oil and blood on them under the shop.
75) Forget they ever existed.
76) Note that hand is no longer bleeding. Hot motor oil does wonders.
77) Go back to bike, Lay down on pipe side (remember the gravel? It's still there.) You can touch the pipes now.. they're not hot any longer.
7Cool Contentedly watch remaining oil drain from the bike.
79) Observe beautiful dark brown color of the oil as the setting sun refracts throug it.
80) Realize that no way in hell is there 3.9 quarts of oil in that pan.
81) Get up. Go find the Motorcyle Owners Manual.
82) Give up. Ask wife where the MoM is.
83) Locate location of the OTHER damned drain plug in the MoM
84) Lay down on right side of bike (pipe side (still cold).
85) Carefully remove second drain plug until hot oil pours out on your hand. Drop drain plug and washer in catch pan.
86) Watch as more dark brown oil pours out and refracts the still setting sun.
87) and keeps pouring
8Cool and begins to get really really close to the top of the pan
89) Franticly drag pan 1 out of the way and replace with Pan 2
90) Observe large amounts of dark brown motor oil slowly soaking the gravel where you've been laying.
91) Find second container that will hold ALL of the oil.
92) give up, dump water out of the dogs water bucket and take it. Hell, I paid for it... he don't got a job. Glare at the dog when it growls at you.
93) Dump oil from first contianer into dogs water bucket until you can retrieve the drain bolts and washers (Still Warm!!!)
94) Wait for all oil to drain from bike. Check oil for gasoline smell. Enjoy Summer Fresh smell of GAIN. Chuckle quietly to yourself about oil with detergent in it... decide not to share the joke.
95) Lay down on right side of bike (pretty much everything is cold by now).
96) Replace oil filter until finger tight. Replace both drain bolts and washers until finger then tighten drain bolts to (estimated) proper torque.
97) Consider not tightening filter then get filter wrench and torque the SH*T out of it so the next S.O.B can suffer too.
9Cool Curse engineer that decided that 3.9 quarts of oil was better than 4.0 quarts of oil. Attempt to figure out where the .9 is on a quart bottle and then decide that you dont' give a damn anymore and pour 4 quarts in the thing. What it don't need it can leak out.
100) Run bike 2-3 minutes. Wait 2-3 minutes. Check oil
101) Ride Baby Ride!

So... there you have it. How to change the oil in 10 minutes (over the course of 8 hours or so). I suffered through it, I thought you should too.

P.S.
102) When wife asks about missing sheets fromt he clothes line stare blankly at her for 1 minute and then blame the neighbors kid... again.

#16 ·
Before I get a whole bunch of these " :eek:ldpost:" I must say that this has to be one of the funniest post I have read since finding this forum. I found this while doing a search of all "Oil" related topics that I could find, since I am about to do my 4,000 mile service myself and was trying to get as much information about different alternatives (regular dyno vs synthetic). After all the reading, I have come to the conclusion that I am still not sold on paying extra for synthetic when most folks still change it at the same recommended period intervals :dontknow:. Anyhow, I hope you enjoy reading thru these 102 line story, it is quite interesting and funny:bigthumbsup:.

1) Get up, get dressed. Beg wife to go riding with you (so you can use her sadlebags because your 1300C model is too cool for them)
Cool Or the strap wrench
13) Argue that you need four and there's only 3 on the shelf so could he please get you four from the back?
14) Stare blankly at him when he returns with 1 quart and tells you to get the other 3 from the shelf...
15) When he gets back from fetching the other 3 quarts ask him for the filter you need.
16) Discuss the briefly the relative value of carrying motorcycle oil but not motorcycle filters with the dropout.
1Cool Leave the autozone, go to the Advanced Auto Part store across the street (Note: this is not the first AAP#1, this is AAP #2 30 miles away)
19) Stare dumbly at a wall full of filters until you're certain that they don't have it.
21) Follow smug clerk to the other side of the store where the motorcycle filters are kept away from that wall full of mean old car filters.
24) Go home.
25) Read VTXOA while the bike cools a bit.
26) Try to find a flat spot.
27) Realize that on 3.9 Acres you don't have a single flat spot so find a "mostly" flat spot. (Technical note: it helps if there's gravel in this spot. The pain of laying on gravel really helps you keep awake)
2Cool Lie down next to the right side of the bike (pipe side)
29) Don't touch the pipes.. they're still hot.
30) Really hot.
31) Reach under the bike and turn the filter counter-clockwise.
32) It's hot too by the way.
33) Realize that the last person to change the oil was nicknamed Hercules and that the filter aint coming off.
34) Look around for a substitute for the filter wrench that you didn't buy.
35) Consider using a pipe wrench.
36) Realize that you've been looking for the damned pipe wrench for about 45 minutes and it's no longer on your property.
37) Consider driving a screwdriver through the filter like you did with that old 73 Ford truck.
3Cool Come to your senses and just go buy the damned filter wrench.
39) Lay out a couple of 2X4's for you to drive the rear wheel up on when you get back. (This is called thinking ahead!)
41) Don't buy it. Buy the little cap over filter wrench next to it that's $3 cheaper
42) Go out to the parking lot. Try the cap wrench on your filter. Realize that it's too big.
43) Go inside, get the proper wrench and attempt to exchange it for the right one.
44) Argue with the dropout that you were only gone like 3 minutes so you couldn't have "used it and brought it back".
46) Drive home.
47) Drive up on the 2X4's that you laid out earlier.
4Cool Retrieve 2X4's from across the driveway (Technical Note: A quick buff will cover the scratches where 2X4's that have been shot across the driveway have bounced off of your wifes bike. )
49) Reposition 2X4's in front of rear wheel.
50) Drive up on them SLOWLY
51) Get socket set.
52) Lay down beside bike on the right side (pipe side).
53) Don't touch they pipes they're now hot again.
54) Damned Hot!
55) Try 18mm socket on oil drain plug. Now try 16MM socket.
56) Get up from ground and go look for the damned 17MM socket.
57) Give up looking for the 17MM socket and ask your wife where it is.
5Cool Ignore her when she asks why you were buffing her bike.
59) Find old rusty deep-well 17MM socket in the back of the shed.
60) Lay down beside the bike on the right side (pipe side)
61) Don't touch the pipes, they're hot... seriously.
62) Check fit of rusty 17MM deepwell socket. Realize that it will work.
63) Get up... again. Go find something to drain the oil into.
64) After a while, give up and ask wife.
65) get 2 empty 1.5 Gal GAIN! containers from laundry room as recommended by wife.
66) Cut top off of GAIN jugs with a sharp knife.
67) Don't bother bandaging the cuts, the hot oil will stop the bleeding.
6Cool Lay down on the right side of the bike (pipe side)
69) Loosen forward Drain bolt until hot oils pours out on your hand. (Technical note: Dropping the drain bolt in the oil catch pan keep it warm until you're ready to reuse it).
70) Use brand new filter wrench to loosen filter. (Isn't it fun working with new tools?!)
71) Once loose, unscrew filter with hand until hot oil pours out on your hand.
72) Scream and drop filter into the oil catch pan
73) Get up and grasp around blindly until you find something suitable for wiping hot, used motor oil from your face and eyes.
74) Hide Summer Fresh bed sheets from the clothes line with motor oil and blood on them under the shop.
75) Forget they ever existed.
76) Note that hand is no longer bleeding. Hot motor oil does wonders.
77) Go back to bike, Lay down on pipe side (remember the gravel? It's still there.) You can touch the pipes now.. they're not hot any longer.
7Cool Contentedly watch remaining oil drain from the bike.
79) Observe beautiful dark brown color of the oil as the setting sun refracts throug it.
80) Realize that no way in hell is there 3.9 quarts of oil in that pan.
81) Get up. Go find the Motorcyle Owners Manual.
82) Give up. Ask wife where the MoM is.
83) Locate location of the OTHER damned drain plug in the MoM
84) Lay down on right side of bike (pipe side (still cold).
85) Carefully remove second drain plug until hot oil pours out on your hand. Drop drain plug and washer in catch pan.
86) Watch as more dark brown oil pours out and refracts the still setting sun.
87) and keeps pouring
8Cool and begins to get really really close to the top of the pan
89) Franticly drag pan 1 out of the way and replace with Pan 2
90) Observe large amounts of dark brown motor oil slowly soaking the gravel where you've been laying.
91) Find second container that will hold ALL of the oil.
92) give up, dump water out of the dogs water bucket and take it. Hell, I paid for it... he don't got a job. Glare at the dog when it growls at you.
93) Dump oil from first contianer into dogs water bucket until you can retrieve the drain bolts and washers (Still Warm!!!)
94) Wait for all oil to drain from bike. Check oil for gasoline smell. Enjoy Summer Fresh smell of GAIN. Chuckle quietly to yourself about oil with detergent in it... decide not to share the joke.
95) Lay down on right side of bike (pretty much everything is cold by now).
96) Replace oil filter until finger tight. Replace both drain bolts and washers until finger then tighten drain bolts to (estimated) proper torque.
97) Consider not tightening filter then get filter wrench and torque the SH*T out of it so the next S.O.B can suffer too.
9Cool Curse engineer that decided that 3.9 quarts of oil was better than 4.0 quarts of oil. Attempt to figure out where the .9 is on a quart bottle and then decide that you dont' give a damn anymore and pour 4 quarts in the thing. What it don't need it can leak out.
100) Run bike 2-3 minutes. Wait 2-3 minutes. Check oil
101) Ride Baby Ride!

So... there you have it. How to change the oil in 10 minutes (over the course of 8 hours or so). I suffered through it, I thought you should too.

P.S.
102) When wife asks about missing sheets fromt he clothes line stare blankly at her for 1 minute and then blame the neighbors kid... again.

#10 ·
Re: OIL CHANGE INSTRUCTIONS !

Gneo said:
Cool Or the strap wrench
24) Go home.

70) Use brand new filter wrench to loosen filter. (Isn't it fun working with new tools)

Doc

#13 ·
Best oil change step-by-step I have seen!! Thanks!

Oh, and stare silently for a minute technique can be adopted to a lot of other things lol

#15 ·
Re: OIL CHANGE INSTRUCTIONS !

Gneo said:

101) Ride Baby Ride!

P.S.
Gneo ! I love you How to very much. I was laughing to tears about your description. I should translate it for my friends in the M1800R Forum as well. You know you guys are miles away, but the probs and fun keeps the same. Welcome to the real world.

#17 ·
I've done that for years, but I have my 14 year old lay down and watch as I rock it, and hold in at different points. And he lets me know when it stops driping. He's closer to the ground than I am:bigthumbsup:

#19 ·
One of my 109's I bought from the dealer I was blowing out oil out of the air cleaner. So when I change it I leaned the bike over and over again. When it was all done I had 4 1/2 qt of oil in the bike. No wonder I was blowing oil out. I think the dealer just pulls the plugs drains it and adds oil. So there not getting all the oil out.

#20 ·
:bdh:

#23 ·
It never hurts to repost the "Big Papa way"
of changing oil , even if he was banned ...:dontknow:
Run the bike until it is completely warm.
Leave it on the side stand, TAKE OUT the dipstick
and undo both drain plugs. Once it stops draining,
stand it up and shake it side to side and then leave
it upright for like 5 minutes to get the rest of
the oil. Put the drain plugs back in and undo the
oil filter. Fill the new oil filter all the way up
with oil, one time, and let it absorb the oil.
Rub some oil on the filter o-ring and put it back
on until you feel it start to snug up.
Then turn it 2 full times. Wipe everything down.
Add 3.6 quarts,( 3,41 litres) fire the bike up for 5 minutes to
make sure there are no drips. Don't even bother
checking your dipstick.

1 US gallon = 4.0 US quarts = 3.785 411 784 litres
3.6 Quarts = 3,4068706056 litres
That's the way I've been doing it ,
no problems .....:bigthumbsup:to Big Papa whereevr you are !

#24 ·
tHATS A GOOD IDEA, BUT I GOT ONE BETTER!

:agree:with rocking it back and forth:bigthumbsup: But I even get more of the old oil out, by lifting my bike up and shaking the hell out of it! I seem to get another cup and a half, out by doing that! But thats just me, OLD SCHOOL I GUESS:dontknow:

#25 ·
ENGINE OIL AND OIL FILTER
Oil should be changed while the engine is warm. Oil filter
replacement at the above intervals, should be done together
with the engine oil change.
ENGINE OIL REPLACEMENT
• Keep the motorcycle upright.
• Place an oil pan below the engine, and drain oil by removing
the oil drain plugs and filler cap
Motorcycle on the upright position Tighten the drain plugs to the specified torque, and pour fresh oil through the oil filler. The engine will hold about 3.4 L(3.6/3.0 US/Imp qt) of oil. Use of API SF/SG or SH/SJ with JASO MA.
Tighten the filler cap
#Oil drain plug: 23 N·m (2.3 kgf-m, 16.5 lb-ft)
NOTE:
Keep the motorcycle upright while pouring engine oil.
Motorcycle on the side-stand position Tighten the drain plugs
• Pour fresh oil 3.0 L.
• Tighten the filler cap
• Start up the engine and allow it to run few minutes at idling
speed.
• Remove the filler cap
• Pour fresh oil 0.4 L.
• Tighten the filler cap
Oil level inspection
• Start up the engine and allow it to run about 15 minutes at
idling speed.
• Keep the motorcycle upright.
• Turn off the engine and wait about three minutes, then check
the oil level by removing the filler cap If the level is below
mark “L”, add oil to “F” level. (do not screw the filler cap.)
If the level is above mark “F”, drain oil to “F” level.
(ENGINE OIL)
Replace initially at 1 000 km (600 miles, 2 months) and
every 6 000 km (4 000 miles, 12 months) thereafter.
(OIL FILTER)
Replace initially at 1 000 km (600 miles, 2 months) and
every 18 000 km (11 000 miles, 36 months) thereafter.
% NECESSARY AMOUNT OF ENGINE OIL:
Oil change : 3.4 L (3.6/3.0 US/Imp qt)
Oil and filter change : 3.6 L (3.8/3.2 US/Imp qt)
Engine overhaul : 4.7 L (5.0/4.1 US/Imp qt)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.