Suzuki's "special tool" for FI codes - free for all to enjoy.

Thread: Suzuki's "special tool" for FI codes - free for all to enjoy.

Very Active Member

Default Suzuki's "special tool" for FI codes - free for all to enjoy.

Ok, Suzuki talks about a "special tool" to reveal the FI codes in the manual. The "special tool" is $15.99 from Suzuki. In reality it is a single toggle switch with two wire leads and probably a pin insert at each end.

The "special tool" works by using the two leads to connect two jumpers on a wire header with the 109.

I'm cheap and spoke to a local bike shop, P**** T***, and John told me all about the "special tool" when I asked him. I won't put the shop name in because I'm not sure if Suzuki police exist.

Ok, I have a "special tool", only $15.99, see pic below:

Here is the plug which uses the "special tool". Pull the left side cover off by the ECU, and there will be two unused plugs with black boots on them. One of the plugs inside the rubber boot is black and the other is white. Remove the boot from the white plug.

To keep perspective, rotate the white plug so that the plug 'lock' pin is on top. See the highlight in the picture below:

Then on the right side of the plug, you will insert your "special tool" into the top right pin connector hole and the bottom right pin connector hole.

Turn the bike ignition on - there is no need to start the bike. The FI code will display in the odometer box. C##. Look up our FI error code in the manual, or call Suzuki with the number, and then you'll know what's up with the FI.

Now, another tip about the FI code in the odometer box using the "special tool". When you look into the odometer box and see the code, e.g. C46 (EXCVA - exhaust control valve), just to the left of the code will be a hash mark. That represents the position of the throttle open percentage/position. If you then open up your throttle, the hash mark will move up screen to represent the increasing open position of the throttle. If it is moving appropriately, that is supposed to mean that your throttle is working ok.

That's it. That's all I know about this. Enjoy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Suzuki's "special tool" for FI codes - free for all to enjoy.

thanks for that info. i just hope i can remember this when i need too.

Very Active Member

good job!

Chuck

Very Active Member

Looks similar to the automotive OBDI of years past. A paper clip always worked good. Good info!
    06 Blurple 9 delivered 3-28-07

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Isjustus
    Looks similar to the automotive OBDI of years past. A paper clip always worked good. Good info!
    Pre 1996 GM auto/trucks used the special paper clip Down loading the trouble codes was a breeze Code 12 three times and then any codes in sequence flashing three times each

Very Active Member

This is the same as my SV650 was....

ON the SV we had a TPS mod. You put the bike into dealer service mode and start the motor. At a certain RPM as you slowly rev the motor up the hash mark moves up signaling the ECU to dump more fuel into the motor. On our SVs from the factory the hash mark moved between 4-5,000 rpms, which is way to high. With the motor running we would try to get the hash mark to move to the upper fueling trim right at 1700rpms by adjusting the TPS sensor. This smoothed out low speed/throttle cruising. It was a simple mod for people that didn't have the PCIII. Wonder if it works on the 109?
    2007 M109R
    *Holley Air kit *PCIII *JSD *V&H exhaust /w Modified Baffles *Custom Fender Eliminator
    *OE Gel Seat *Cobra backrest *1.5" lowering 11.75 @ 112mph 119hp/110tq

Thanks for the info Jeff. This is one of those things you hope you never need, but it's bookmarked in my "M109 Tips and Tricks" folder.

Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself.

Great post.

Reminds me of the tool to check codes in old GM cars. But you had to count how many time the check engine light blinked.
    I used a cotterpin though.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE

Very Active Member

Your the man Jeff Ken
    Mods----Self made big air cannons-JSD3-debeaver w/modified rivco bracket and arrow led turn signals-2.25 lowering bones-PCIIIUSB-Supertrapp V-5 2-1 morpher pipe- Arrow frnt turn signals ,speaker and amp set-up,backrest and rack for two up(sometime).<br />&quot;WE&#39;RE ALL A LITTLE SICK AND CRAZY&#39;<br /><br />K&amp;R Cycle Works LLC&nbsp; kandrcycleworks@netzero.com<br />Taylors,S.C.--(864)444-3494

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in Costa Rica
    Ok, Suzuki talks about a "special tool" to reveal the FI codes in the manual. The "special tool" is $15.99 from Suzuki. In reality it is a single toggle switch with two wire leads and probably a pin insert at each end.

The "special tool" works by using the two leads to connect two jumpers on a wire header with the 109.

I'm cheap and spoke to a local bike shop, P**** T***, and John told me all about the "special tool" when I asked him. I won't put the shop name in because I'm not sure if Suzuki police exist.

Here is the plug which uses the "special tool". Pull the left side cover off by the ECU, and there will be two unused plugs with black boots on them. One of the plugs inside the rubber boot is black and the other is white. Remove the boot from the white plug.

To keep perspective, rotate the white plug so that the plug 'lock' pin is on top. See the highlight in the picture below:

Then on the right side of the plug, you will insert your "special tool" into the top right pin connector hole and the bottom right pin connector hole.

Turn the bike ignition on - there is no need to start the bike. The FI code will display in the odometer box. C##. Look up our FI error code in the manual, or call Suzuki with the number, and then you'll know what's up with the FI.

Now, another tip about the FI code in the odometer box using the "special tool". When you look into the odometer box and see the code, e.g. C46 (EXCVA - exhaust control valve), just to the left of the code will be a hash mark. That represents the position of the throttle open percentage/position. If you then open up your throttle, the hash mark will move up screen to represent the increasing open position of the throttle. If it is moving appropriately, that is supposed to mean that your throttle is working ok.

That's it. That's all I know about this. Enjoy.
    Yep, I made one of those for my SV1000S so I could adjust the idle throttle micro switch, reading the code off the speedo read out. Very similar.
    Thanks for posting this, it's great info.
    Cheers
    John.
    A day spent riding is not deducted from man&#39;s lifespan.&nbsp; <br />Red 07, Debeavered, DLP licence plate with LED surround, Kuryakyn ISO grips, national cycle vstream shield, Kuryakyn flamin switchblade pegs, radiator stone guard mod.

I think it is great when somebody out-thinks the engineers.....
    Ride On!

Thank you Jeff!!
    Red 2007 M109R, 53,000 miles, 1st issue prevented, clutch tubular nut. 1st issue, Rear brake rotor loose, incedent report completed, owner replaced. Drive line inspection complete, no grease on front splines. Corbin seats, Corbin back rest, Rivco Passenger boards, KewlMetal Risers, Tach Housing, K&N Air filters, 3" Barnett clutch cable, Barnett clutch springs, Metzler 880's, 4th set.

Very Active Member

Yes, simplicity at its finest!

Chuck

steelwrkr

the k.i.s.s. principal properly demonstrated. I'm sure you saved some of us some $$$$$ thanks!

Very good post. Thanks for the info. That is a very high tech "special tool"

HD ETR

Cool

JEFF: THANKS!!!
    Letsgetready2rumble!

Its amazing how people sleep at night for charging $16 for literaly a simple wire jumper. Thanks Jeff, nothing like having honest people here trying to help everyone out instead of trying to make a dime off them. Maybe now I can go back to drinking the good stuff instead of Keystone with the money I will save with this info....

Very Active Member michiganm109r's Avatar

for those who have any electrical training at all its a "jumper wire"

Default Waiting coming to an end

Dud my stealer said it will cost me about $50 for a special box to kill the F1 light and another $70 for labour, been waiting 3 months. Thanks dud

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post

Great "How To" JC... Not sure why it hasn't been moved to the "How To" forum...

Anyway... Thought the following might come in handy...

FI FAULT CODE LIST...

C00: None - No defective part
    C12: Crankshaft position sensor (CKPS) - Pick-up coil signal, Generator
    C13: Intake air pressure sensor #2 (IAPS #2) - For Front cylinder
    C14: Throttle position sensor (TPS) - (Note *1)
    C15: Engine coolant temp. sensor (ECTS)
    C17: Intake air pressure sensor #1 (IAPS #1) - For Rear cylinder
    C21: Intake air temp. sensor (IATS)
    C23: Tip-over sensor (TOS)
    C24: Ignition signal #1 (IG coil #1.1) - For Rear cylinder
    C25: Ignition signal #2 (IG coil #2.1) - For Front cylinder
    C26: Ignition signal #1 (IG coil #1.2) - For Rear cylinder
    C27: Ignition signal #2 (IG coil #2.2) - For Front cylinder
    C28: Secondary throttle valve actuator (STVA)
    C29: Secondary throttle position sensor (STPS) - (Note *2)
    C31: Gear position signal (GP switch)
    C32: Injector signal #1 (FI #1) - For Rear Cylinder
    C33: Injector signal #2 (FI #2) - For Front Cylinder
    C40: Idle speed control valve (ISC valve)
    C41: Fuel pump control system (FP control system) - Fuel Pump, Fuel Pump Relay
    C42: Ignition switch signal (IG switch signal) - Anti-theft
    C44: Heated oxygen sensor #2 (HO2S #2) - For E-02, 19, 24
    C46: Exhaust control valve actuator (EXCVA)
    C49: PAIR control solenoid valve #2 (PAIR valve #2) - Except for E-03, 28, 33
    C60: Cooling fan control system - Cooling fan relay
    C61: PAIR control solenoid valve #1 (PAIR #1)
    C64: Heated oxygen sensor #1 (HO2S #1) - For E-02, 19, 24

NOTES:
    *1: To get the proper signal from the throttle position sensor, the sensor basic position is indicated in the LCD (DISPLAY) panel. The malfunction code is indicated in three digits. In front of the three digits, a line appears in any of the three positions, upper, middle or lower line. If the indication is upper or lower line when engine rpm is 900 r/min, slightly turn the throttle position sensor and bring the line to the middle. In the normal condition, the throttle valve stop screw pushes throttle valves slightly, and middle line will be indicated.

*2: When the secondary throttle valve actuator and secondary throttle position sensor signals are not sent to ECM. In this case, C28 and C29 are indicated alternately.

Well, armed with that info, if your bike throws an FI light, you might be able to seek out and find the problem... Often it is not a faulty part but a dirty or bad connection in one of the many plugs... or a pin has popped out of a plug... So before heading off to have the problem fixed by a mechanic... It pays to check all the plugs (and pins in the plugs) are all connected by pulling each one off... checking the pins are in place, clean and reconnecting them...

Who knows... Ya just might save a few $$$

BBB

BBB, it is in the How-To, you just have to go to page 4 to find it.

How To: Suzuki Fi code check with the Suzuki "special tool"

Great of you to post the various codes too, I'm sure a bunch of folks will find that helpful. Might as well add them to the How-To thread too.

JC

have you any idea where the Dealer mod's are on the C109?

I looked behind the left cover but it just appears to be the tool box
    or am I being daft and should remove the box to get to them??

thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    JC

have you any idea where the Dealer mod's are on the C109?

I looked behind the left cover but it just appears to be the tool box
    or am I being daft and should remove the box to get to them??

thanks
    Mike
    rainman, JC hasn't been on since last summer. You might want to ask on the C109 board where the connector is. I have no idea myself.

Thanks Zoom

Its early morning here now and during the night I was so determined to find it that I went looking so found it hiding below the ecm behind the tool box.

It was in at the dealer the other week for a service so think that it must have got pushed in anyway they could .

thanks for the advice and info

best regards
    Mike

Default FI light coming on itermittenltly

Thanks for the "tool"

My FI light comes on sometimes and does not produce a code. When i shut the bike off and start it up again no FI light. I did the #7 pin mod two years ago and had not had a problem until recently.

Any thoughts?

thank you

Personally. A loose connection.

Quote Originally Posted by fishrocks17 View Post
    Thanks for the "tool"

My FI light comes on sometimes and does not produce a code. When i shut the bike off and start it up again no FI light. I did the #7 pin mod two years ago and had not had a problem until recently.

Any thoughts?

thank you
    Are you running a pc3? If so, check your connections to the throttle position sensor. Also, when you fire the bike up you need to make sure you let the gauges sweep before doing it. If you do it early you can get an fi light.

2015 Mid Atlantic Meet - Click Here

Very Active Member

I see this was great info back in 07. Is it still current into today's models? Codes still the same, plug in same area, et cetera?

-Anthony
    109 coming in approx 9 months due to cancelled bike licence. Current bike 1982 Ducati bought new here in Australia. '73 Ducati single cyl in pieces! New Suzuki Tu 250 retro, Yamaha V-Star Custom, black...in garage!

Default Big Papa

I do not have any fuel management. I do wait for the full sweep before starting. So not sure whats up.

Default Wow

Cheap alternative.
    "Life's is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, leaking oil with your engine smoking, shouting GERONIMO!" - Life is tough, it's tougher when you're stupid.- Speeding is ONLY a crime IF you get caught.

"The Devil Inside" TBAR = That Boy Ain't Right