M109 Rider Forums banner

WHat do you use to clean the Chrome plastic ?

8K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  jwebb 
#1 ·
Do you just use regular chrome cleaner or will it have an effect on the plastic underneath ?

#2 ·
Felix T Cat said:
Do you just use regular chrome cleaner or will it have an effect on the plastic underneath ?
Felix:
I was using Pro Honda Spray Detailer. Unfortunately they discontinued it. Check with your local cycle dealer or even a HD dealer for a good spray detailer. I doubt the 109 will melt should you use a HD specific product on it. :) :) :) :) :) :)

P.S. Do a search on this sight on waxes and polishes.....the subject has been covered in detail!

G
#4 ·
I was at my local dealer today and we were discussing the situtation with the honda polish and he said that it will still be made just not sold in several states - not sure if that is true. I asked him what he thought people were going to do and he said that Lemon Pledge still does a great job. Never tried it, but on the Gold wing boards, guys are always raving about what a great job it does on plastic and lexan shields. Just a thought.....if you like lemon scent.

#8 ·
Believe it or not, Rubbing alcohol works great on chrome. It immediately eliminates waterspots and then evaporates just as quickly. Believe it or not, I learned this trick when I was 16 working as a bag boy at the grocery store. When it was slow, they made us grab a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a rag and wipe down the railings.

#10 ·
Hey, a GREAT all-around cleaner that I love to use is McGuire's (or however it is spelled) Quick Detail. It is a spray bottle. I have used in on my black and red (gets dirty quick) volusia for 3+ years now. It is perfect for in between washing to take off dust, water spots, hand prints, etc, etc, and really shines. It also works on plastic chrome and windshields. To top that off, it has a nice smell to it, too. I have used it to rub down the bike a couple of times a week.

For deeper cleanup jobs, like greasy stuff, really dirty wheels, cleaning up your workbench, etc, I love Tuff Stuff cleaner in the aerosol can (not the spray bottle). This stuff really foams up and soaks up any grease, dirt, grime, etc. I found this years ago when working at Checker Auto. We used it to clean EVERYTHING each night after countless people bringing in their greasy old engine parts. I have also used this to clean up spots in carpets, clean wheels, etc, etc, etc. I love the stuff.

#13 ·
plain old cheap lemon pledge, works on your painted parts too. same stuff as Honda cleaner but way cheaper. cleans/waxes, just make sure to use a micro fiber cloth and swith fron the side you apply with to the other to buff it out. works wonders on plexiglass windshields too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.