Decals vs paint

Thread: Decals vs paint

Default Decals vs paint

I've had my 9 for some months now and just realized that the "Boulevard" on the side was actually a decal rather than painted on. Its a really good decal as its hard to tell the difference until you get up close and inspect carefully.

So I'm thinking I want to customize my 9 a bit and what would seem easiest is to get some quality decals and afix them to the tank and tails (I've got some styles in mind) rather than pay someone for a custom paint job that may or may not come out the way I want it and would have to be redone if I want to switch up the style later.

Anyone have any experience with decal-ling rather than painting? Got any good suppliers?

lb

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Seems like hydro dipping is the way to go. I have not seen many with decals. I have see on google images some really neat reflective pin striping but on other bikes and cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Planing a British Columbia Meet, PM if you are interested? June 21-25, 2018 some place in southern part of the Kootneys.
    Planing a British Columbia Meet, PM if you are interested? June 21-25, 2018 some place in southern part of the Kootneys.

With today materials and tech many people go the decal and other like methods to create some really nice looking rides but you must be picky with what you use so that it doesnt look like a cheap afterthought if you know what i mean! One problem that tends to arise when you try to remove the decals to "return" to pre decal condition is paint fade that sorta leaves faint outlines but that can usually be polished out unless the base coat color has faded then no amount of polishing in a base/clear system will remedy that situation. I really like the things that can be done with that Plasti-Dip product. You can complete change the color and then add whatever decals you want plus the added benefit of a "protective" layer that will keep the underlying paint in whatever condition it was in when covered. When you want to change you peel it all off and do something different. Just make sure you do a few coat so that its not too thin or else its a PITA to peel off so thicker is better but of course not too thick.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I would look into doing a full wrap. You can customize the design you want, leave it on indefinitely, and peel it off any time you want to go back to stock or switch to a different wrap.

Best of all, your bike won't get any tan lines like it would with decals.

Thanks for the advice. Here's what I'm looking to do specifically and yall can give me some more specific recommendations.

I actually still like the stock Matte Gray that my bike come in (its in my photo album) and want to keep the stock paint/color. I was thinking of peeling back the stock "Boulevard" decal and in its stead, place some custom lettering like my bike's name "Bully" or "B.O.S.S." (since its a blacked out bike). Since I don't really want to touch the base color, I was thinking that a full wrap or plastic dip would be overkill. I was also going to add a couple of Japanese Kanji letters to the rear cowl like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metaldragon01_custom.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	352305

And a red toxic waste symbol to the airbox like below
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toxic Waste.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	352297
    And maybe one more something to the front headlight cowl... I haven't decided

So since all these are just isolated symbols instead of the traditional flames and skulls and such (not my style) I was thinking decals would do the trick and a full dip or wrap be too much since I still like the base stock color. Think it would work? Problem is mainly finding quality decals. I'm not so worried about faded paint. The bike is keep exclusively in a shaded garaged and I wash it often (after every other ride). If it does fade too much when I peel the decals off, then I'll probably just opt for a totally different color at that time.

Crazy. I'm planning the exact same thing for the exact same reasons... freaky.

Not the same decals but ya - heat-off the stock ones and add my own so they are removable.

Meet you back here when we get them done! I have only just started Googling my options to see who can cut me some quality custom vinyl or whatever they use.

Sort of reassuring someone else thought of it, makes me feel like it might actually work out.