Best Fender Extenders
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Fender Extenders

Default Best Fender Extenders

Got a 160 front tire on order and was going to order a front fender extender for safe keeping. Any one better than another. The one on meancycles looks decent, but it has a customer review with a warning (something about the screw now not fitting down completely). Any others out there?

http://www.meancycles.com/store/part...?partID=226174

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

The parts on the link you show don't look that good ... not sure how they work. Here is specs for spacers I used. I can't remember who I got them from thru this website, but these work great and can't be seen when installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front fender spacers specs.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	352185  
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

Wow $50 for a few 2-3" long pieces of aluminum flat bar stock with a couple holes drilled and tapped is about $40 too much for something that you can do yourself with a few bucks and a half hours work!
    Last edited by Latinrascal; 1 Week Ago at 12:35 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Latinrascal View Post
    Wow $50 for a few 2-3" long pieces of aluminum flat bar stock with a couple holes drilled and tapped is about $40 too much for something that you can do yourself with a few bucks and a half hours work!
    I don't have any experience with metalwork. When you count buying all the stuff to be able to do it, just buying the extender pre-made is still actually cheaper.

Actually, $60 unless you have the low and mean stealth fender. I nearly bought them, but balked at the $8.99 shipping. Made a set for about $10 and 30 minutes work instead.

LAND OF THE LONG WHITE SMOKE CLOUD,.NEW ZEALAND

I would always support Meancycles in a heartbeat, but if you really want the stepped ones like in the picture above, you need to PM RUBZERK here, he has some for sale i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by LoBlo View Post
    I don't have any experience with metalwork. When you count buying all the stuff to be able to do it, just buying the extender pre-made is still actually cheaper.
    If you don't have access to a drill then yeah its cheaper to buy but if you have a drill then the tap/drill bit set should be less then $10 and a foot long aluminum flatbar less then $5 and a $1 hacksaw blade. Heck you don't even need aluminum, you could repurpose an old plastic cutting board making all steps easier and have the same effect as long as you didn't need "shiny". In the beginning of this bikes life making things like that were manditory and to me has always been the "spirit" of the members here to do things themselves where they can to push themselves even into areas they are not familiar with.

Got a 160 front tire on order and was going to order a front fender extender for safe keeping. Any one better than another. The one on meancycles looks decent, but it has a customer review with a warning (something about the screw now not fitting down completely). Any others out there?

http://www.meancycles.com/store/part...?partID=226174
    Just like many others, I did not use any extenders,(160/60 Metz) and all is fine.
    I loosened up all fender screws, put temporary wedges between tire and front
    and back fender edges and then tighten the screws. Some guys suggested to
    slightly elongate the holes in the fender which did bind the most, screw head
    covered the elongations anyway....

PS.

Fender hugging the tire closely looks nice to me...
    Last edited by thevili; 1 Week Ago at 03:20 PM.
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Make a post in the for sale section "wtb fender extenders" see what happens maybe someone had a set they want to get rid of.I have the set like in post #2 they work the best I even polished them up a little
    06 custom, dripping in chrome....lowered front and rear ....160/280....custom paint....:BOTM AUG 2014

Rubzerk (miguel no longer sells them) but i believe Andy (some9)has a set for sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath

Very Active Member

If you're not comfortable with the DIY approach, just simply call JC at MeanCycles today (before 5:00pm EST), and have him ship you a set of the Fender Extenders. Be sure to let him know you have the Low and Mean Stealth front fender, so he knows the correct length to send you. At least you'll know you have a product that will fit, and work properly when installed, as opposed to you hacking away at some metal, without really knowing what you're doing. I know your bike is that flat silver/grey color with black wheels, so if they don't sell the extenders in black, and you would prefer them to be, you can simply paint them black, prior to installation, to match the color scheme of your bike.

Good luck, no matter which decision you make.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 5 Days Ago at 11:41 PM.

Very Active Member

I plan on fabricating myself a set of the longer fender extenders (using a bar of Aluminum from Home Depot) , since I have the regular fender on my 109r .
    I would , thou , like to know the distance between the drill holes to be sure I am doing the correct size .
    So, if anybody have them installed , please, take a minute and measure the distance between the holes and post it ... Thanks so much .

Quote Originally Posted by josey88 View Post
    I plan on fabricating myself a set of the longer fender extenders (using a bar of Aluminum from Home Depot) , since I have the regular fender on my 109r .
    I would , thou , like to know the distance between the drill holes to be sure I am doing the correct size .
    So, if anybody have them installed , please, take a minute and measure the distance between the holes and post it ... Thanks so much .
    Further up....

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by SKIDMARK View Post
    Further up....

Skid, that is more than I cut dream to have ... Many thanks

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170211_104638.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	352209

Name:	20170211_110424.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	352217

Name:	20170211_111738.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	352225

I bought the aluminum 1/8" by 1/2"

drilled and tapped made some funky angles and cost maybe $20
    Last edited by FlyingCircus; 1 Week Ago at 06:02 PM.

I just used the nuts to line it up, so ignore them

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post

Name:	20170211_104638.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	352209

Name:	20170211_110424.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	352217

Name:	20170211_111738.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	352225

I bought the aluminum 1/8" by 1/2"

drilled and tapped made some funky angles and cost maybe $20
    Since you just did what i was suggesting, in Your most honest opinion what would you place the difficulty scale at from 1 to 10 with 10 being very difficult?

I'd say a 1

But I used my compound mitre saw with metal blade and already had the 6M tap and drill bit

as long as you can use a drill it's easy

it was one of the first things I did back in December or January

Quote Originally Posted by SKIDMARK View Post
    Further up....

FYI - those numbers are not correct

"You cant argue with my 9mm..........well you can, but you'll end up bleeding alot"
    RUBZERK = Are You BZERK

Those are metric measurements and look right to me

Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post
    Just like many others, I did not use any extenders,(160/60 Metz) and all is fine.
    I loosened up all fender screws, put temporary wedges between tire and front
    and back fender edges and then tighten the screws. Some guys suggested to
    slightly elongate the holes in the fender which did bind the most, screw head
    covered the elongations anyway....

PS.

Fender hugging the tire closely looks nice to me...
    Actually I have the Low and Mean aftermarket fender, so I'm wondering if I don't need to worry about the extenders all together.

I'd rather have my fender tight to the tire but where I live the fender would get trashed as there is a lot of gravel/rocks/stones that would get sucked in under the fender

Quote Originally Posted by RUBZERK View Post
    FYI - those numbers are not correct

Will you care to enlighten everyone as to the correction, after all, we get that its incorrect, but it would be great, and help the op, and kind of follow the flow of this, for you to elaborate, so all here get the facts.

What are the correct numbers??

Lol what makes any number correct or not? Its not like this needs to be some very specific size with very specific cuts so that it fits exactly as is the case where tight tolerance are called for so that things fit as they should! When this mod started ob this bike someone sat down and cut a few pieces of aluminum flatbar and simply made an extension so that both sides of the fender you are using has enough tire clearance and is even on both sides. To say those arent correct measurements is like saying that choosing to go with a bigger tire is not corect because its different then stock.
    This is reletive to what fender and tire you are using along with how you want the fender to hug the tire that will dictate the extension measurements for the most part! The only crucial measurement in this situation is the threaded holes that fit the stock screws but even that is not a game changer but does make the job much cleaner when said and done.
    Last edited by Latinrascal; 1 Week Ago at 01:21 PM.

If you don't have access to a drill then yeah its cheaper to buy but if you have a drill then the tap/drill bit set should be less then $10 and a foot long aluminum flatbar less then $5 and a $1 hacksaw blade. Heck you don't even need aluminum, you could repurpose an old plastic cutting board making all steps easier and have the same effect as long as you didn't need "shiny". In the beginning of this bikes life making things like that were manditory and to me has always been the "spirit" of the members here to do things themselves where they can to push themselves even into areas they are not familiar with.
    Nope, I'ld have to buy it all and the cost would include the 10 attempts to get it right before I actually got to a point that it didn't look a piece of crap job. I'd rather have something that looks professionally done.

but you'll NEVER get handy without screwing up a few times

Build your confidence and go for it

Use the resources on this forum as it's endless to whatever you want to do

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    but you'll NEVER get handy without screwing up a few times

Build your confidence and go for it
    I hear ya. I do my own installations and electrical work already, but I don't see any other metal work in my future for now, so not going to put the time into it unless that changes.

It's the great feeling of the accomplishment of getting it done