2018 Yamaha Star Venture
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 36

Thread: 2018 Yamaha Star Venture

  1. #1
    Very Active Member Poseidon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    4,001

    Default 2018 Yamaha Star Venture

    I can't believe there isn't any talk about this bike on here yet. Has anyone seen Yamaha's new tour bike that was released on Monday? Here are some videos. Post your thoughts on it.











    https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/tr...nental-touring

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member thevili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Because of my short legs I love the electric "Sure Parking Assist"..

    Unfortunately not my price range...
    Last edited by thevili; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:47 PM.
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

  4. #3
    Very Active Member Poseidon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post
    Because of my short legs I love the electric "Park Assist"..

    Unfortunately not my price range...
    It doesn't have to be in your price range to have an opinion on it. Lots of people have their favorite "supercar" or "exotic" they like as well as ones they hate. Doesn't mean we have the funds to buy one.

    I'm just trying to get some activity going on this site. I'm tired of checking in and it only takes a few mins to catch up on all the posts. I thought this was a Motorcycle forum... lets talk bikes! What better bike to talk about than the new kid on the block.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Member Hogan109r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Myrtle beach sc and cornelius nc
    Posts
    29

    Default 2018 Yamaha Star Venture

    Guess I'll have to wait till August to see it at the dealer
    957 lbs seems like a nice bike .
    I still like the BMW 1600 gtl K series bikes.

  7. #5
    Very Active Member Poseidon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan109r View Post
    Guess I'll have to wait till August to see it at the dealer
    957 lbs seems like a nice bike .
    I still like the BMW 1600 gtl K series bikes.
    It's definitely a heavy bike! I can't wait for a demo day somewhere close by where I can take one out for a ride.

    I can't figure out which market they are going after with this bike... or if they are trying to bridge the gap between the Goldwing and the touring cruisers. I don't think an air cooled twin is going to pull many Goldwing riders, but the looks will probably be a turn off to the HD crowd. I can see a lot of Vision riders being interested in it since Victory is out of the game.

  8. #6
    Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Okanagan Valley B.C. Canada
    Posts
    5,639

    Default

    It's a good alternative to a gold wing, not much of a muscle cruiser . Too many bags for me. I like to travel lite! Nice design tho. If I had to ride 2 up all the time this bike might fit the bill.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Planing a British Columbia Meet, PM if you are interested? June 21-25, 2018 some place in southern part of the Kootneys.
    Planing a British Columbia Meet, PM if you are interested? June 21-25, 2018 some place in southern part of the Kootneys.

  9. #7
    Very Active Member gottattooz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hampton, Ga
    Posts
    3,885

    Default

    The headlight and grille on the front fairing looks like a first generation firebird.

    -Josh

  10. #8
    Very Active Member Poseidon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    I like the look from the front with the lights and the scoops. I think it would look better as a bagger... remove the trunk / top box.That would shed some weight too.

  11. #9
    Very Active Member M109Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Forney, TX
    Posts
    6,038

    Default

    I like the look and the options. What I cant understand is why have a big fairing heavy bike and not have it water cooled. I could just imagine the heat in AZ stop and go traffic.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

  12. #10
    Very Active Member Bobby1048's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Uniontown Ohio
    Posts
    208

    Default

    It's a good looking machine


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    U. S. Army Retired I was in Aviation worked on helicopters.
    2011 M109R blue and chrome massive get up and go.

  13. #11
    Very Active Member Poseidon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I like the look and the options. What I cant understand is why have a big fairing heavy bike and not have it water cooled. I could just imagine the heat in AZ stop and go traffic.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    I agree. Stop and go isn't its intended purpose tho. I wouldn't want to deal with a half ton plus (with it packed for a trip) bike in stop and go traffic either. But for hitting the open road and traveling long distances, it would be pretty nice. This is a bike where every ride is intended to be an Iron butt ride.

  14. #12
    Very Active Member Stavros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    King City, Ont
    Posts
    7,713

    Default

    Long haul open road cruiser for sure..looks like it checks all the boxes..good looking machine..

    couldnt imagine getting caught in stop and go congestion,with that pig though..

    for comfort and amenities its up there...fun factor,lacking
    Stav

  15. #13
    Radio Active Member rynosback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Traveling America
    Posts
    26,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I like the look and the options. What I cant understand is why have a big fairing heavy bike and not have it water cooled. I could just imagine the heat in AZ stop and go traffic.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    I agree. WTF were they thinking having it air cooled and not liquid cooled. Do they think they are Harley Davidson now, LOL.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

  16. #14
    Very Active Member M109Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Forney, TX
    Posts
    6,038

    Default

    Yep, and I understand the touring side theu are wanting to target, but what rider has never been stuck in traffic or a light in the middle of the day or rush hour. Its like saying "only ride the bike on long hassel free rides". To me that just isnt practicle.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

  17. #15
    Very Active Member Poseidon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    Yep, and I understand the touring side theu are wanting to target, but what rider has never been stuck in traffic or a light in the middle of the day or rush hour. Its like saying "only ride the bike on long hassel free rides". To me that just isnt practicle.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    I get what you are saying. Some areas of the country are worse with traffic than others. That is one of the reasons I avoid I-95 north of Richmond like the plague. I go out of my way to avoid traffic if at all possible. I would rather add 2 hours of back country roads to my trip than be stuck in traffic for even 30 mins. I don't commute on my bikes tho. They are my escape after work and on weekends. Most of the miles on my bikes are trips to the mountains and back.

    I think most of the guys that would be interested in the Venture will be the long distance riders headed across country from coast to coast, cruising the interstates, etc. I'm kind of surprised it isn't water cooled due to the increased emissions. Having a radiator would have added even more weight to an already heavy bike tho.

  18. #16
    Very Active Member M109Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Forney, TX
    Posts
    6,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    I get what you are saying. Some areas of the country are worse with traffic than others. That is one of the reasons I avoid I-95 north of Richmond like the plague. I go out of my way to avoid traffic if at all possible. I would rather add 2 hours of back country roads to my trip than be stuck in traffic for even 30 mins. I don't commute on my bikes tho. They are my escape after work and on weekends. Most of the miles on my bikes are trips to the mountains and back.

    I think most of the guys that would be interested in the Venture will be the long distance riders headed across country from coast to coast, cruising the interstates, etc. I'm kind of surprised it isn't water cooled due to the increased emissions. Having a radiator would have added even more weight to an already heavy bike tho.
    Yeah. But to me once you get that heavy whats an addition 100lbs, Im guessing if that. I have ran a couple 1k mile trips on my 9 when we lived in AZ. But those where all freeway and I always got held up in traffic going through El Paso no matter what time of day. I do like the bike and would consider one but might have to test ride one first.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

  19. #17
    Very Active Member diggerdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ukiah, California
    Posts
    1,415

    Default

    I always thought the Venture was the Vmax's dad/grandpa, (second gen) with it's V-4... now it has the same engine as the Stratoliner, a 1900 V-twin. I think they should call it the Stratoliner Ultra Deluxe! I own an'06 Stratoliner S and a '13 VMAX...

    Orange '08 M109R Sold
    '13 Yamaha VMAX
    '06 Yamaha Stratoliner "S"
    "Drink The Wind!"

  20. #18
    Very Active Member Poseidon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diggerdan View Post
    I always thought the Venture was the Vmax's dad/grandpa, (second gen) with it's V-4... now it has the same engine as the Stratoliner, a 1900 V-twin. I think they should call it the Stratoliner Ultra Deluxe! I own an'06 Stratoliner S and a '13 VMAX...
    It is the same displacement as the Stratoliner, but it is a redesigned motor that now has 6 gears.

  21. #19
    Very Active Member MainEvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    I like the look from the front with the lights and the scoops. I think it would look better as a bagger... remove the trunk / top box.That would shed some weight too.
    I'm with you on this. Looks good from the front and has a unique side profile. I'd do away with the truck like the Honda F6B. But Im glad the styling is going in the right direction. Would be thinking of a bagger/touring bike in the future for myself and the lady to take trips on. Technology is def on par with the times. Glad Yamaha is moving the bar up a bit. Hopefully Suzuki can do the same and give us some more technology.


  22. #20
    Very Active Member BIG MIKE 109R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    1,006

    Post

    That's a nice looking ride and the technology is great. It's a shame that it's air cooled.

    JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250/D251 150, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.
    I fly low, those who fly low, fly long! BIG MIKE

  23. #21
    Very Active Member Bobby1048's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Uniontown Ohio
    Posts
    208

    Default

    It is a beautiful machine but I think I would go GoldWing (previously owned one). The 'wing is a rolling lazy boy


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    U. S. Army Retired I was in Aviation worked on helicopters.
    2011 M109R blue and chrome massive get up and go.

  24. #22
    Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Apex, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,521

    Default

    I think it is a great looking bike, but like you guys, I think it would have worked better as a water cooled engine. It also would have more people happy if they had also made it a shaft drive. It was rumored on the Spyder site (you know how those guys are), that it would have the same drive train as the 2nd. Gen Vmax. Now if that had come to pass, a lot more people would have been happy.

  25. #23
    Very Active Member M109Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Forney, TX
    Posts
    6,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I think it is a great looking bike, but like you guys, I think it would have worked better as a water cooled engine. It also would have more people happy if they had also made it a shaft drive. It was rumored on the Spyder site (you know how those guys are), that it would have the same drive train as the 2nd. Gen Vmax. Now if that had come to pass, a lot more people would have been happy.
    Lol, you know those Spyder guys....some drink a lot of the Kool Aid..

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

  26. #24
    Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Apex, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    Lol, you know those Spyder guys....some drink a lot of the Kool Aid..

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    That is so true. Tell me, did you ever use, or know what a farkle was before getting a spyder?

  27. #25
    Very Active Member M109Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Forney, TX
    Posts
    6,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    That is so true. Tell me, did you ever use, or know what a farkle was before getting a spyder?
    Lol, nope. They have their own language too, I guess it makes them feel special.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

  28. #26
    Very Active Member Luvs2Play's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    5,227

    Default

    It's a great engine, and now with a redesigned transmission, it will have plenty of go. With the oils now, cooling isn't a problem with the 113, never has been. The oil coolers work fine, and water cooling would have just added more weight.

    It seems a lot of people were wanting the Vmax engine. Why? It's a cruiser, not a sport bike. I would rather see a shaft drive on a big cruiser like this too, but the rubberband is a lot smoother.

    At least Yamaha did something that never happened with the 9, they added a 6th gear and built a tranny that doesn't break as stock. Even though, the yami is not for me, I would go with the Wing since it's a proven design that has stood the test of time.

    Still can't wait to see one, probably have to put some miles on it just to compare it with the Wing so I can make a decision when I get to that old age where I need to relax while riding.

    I'll get another 9 first though, the yami site doesn't ban you for not agreeing with everyone, I miss that.

  29. #27
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Manteno Il
    Posts
    501

    Default

    Looks and sounds fantastic!

  30. #28
    Very Active Member tonymontanna1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    White Castle, Louisiana
    Posts
    946

    Default

    It's a Gold Wing with a Harley Davidson motor.

    Its a bike with no soul or identity.

    Lots of plastic for a bike without a radiator. I'm gonna try one out on my Sturgis trip and report back

  31. #29
    Very Active Member cbxer55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    4,250

    Default

    I agree with the guy above me. Bikes with fairings and bags are not my bag. I find them all to be just two-wheeled cars. And ugly as well. I'm 55 and still prefer the wind in my face, or helmet. And a tank bag is all I need for any long rides I may do. The Nine is about as heavy a bike as I'll ever own. My Dad tried to get me to buy his six-cylinder Kawasaki Voyager several years ago. Told him I'll never ride a bike with all that junk on it.

    Just my opinion since you asked. I know a lot of people like their two-wheeled cars.
    SILVER 2006 M109R. Brembo front brake calipers, Corbin Smuggler, Low & Mean chrome chin scoop, Cycle House chrome kickstand, Mean Cycles T-Rex speedo trim, Cobra Tri-Pro exhaust, LA Choppers xXx Big Air intakes, D2Moto tail light, Kuryakin clear signals, Yana Shiki One Inch Drop Risers, BreakAway Cruise Control, Suzuki Full Cut Gel Seat, JDA Chrome Fork Caps.


  32. #30
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Newmarket, Ontario
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Take that drive train with 126ft/lp torque and update it into the Warrior with abs and traction control and maybe they have a M109 replacement?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •