Pipes/power commander
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 52

Thread: Pipes/power commander

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    27

    Default Pipes/power commander

    I'm planning on a swapping the stock pipes and adding a power commander. I want some shorter chrome pipes that won't blue. Suggestions?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    KENTUCKY
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SHUNT View Post
    I'm planning on a swapping the stock pipes and adding a power commander. I want some shorter chrome pipes that won't blue. Suggestions?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hello Shunt. It's only necessary to add a Power Commander when you change out BOTH your air intakes, and your exhaust. If you're only going to change out your exhaust, you don't need a Fuel Management Processor of any kind.

    As for the exhaust, I STRONGLY recommend the IceBox Shorty Chrome SideBurner or IceBox Shorty Chrome Velocity Pro exhaust. Both of them are top quality, great performance, awesome sounding, non-bluing, and very reasonably priced exhausts. I personally have two of the Shorty SideBurner exhausts for my 9s, because I absolutely love the performance and sound they provide. If you're thinking about changing out your air intakes, my recommendation is the Chrome Thunder Tornado Intakes (to match your chrome exhaust), because they really allow a huge increase in airflow, and they also look awesome on the 9. I have them on both my 9s as well.

    I hope this info helps.

    Bobby

  4. #3
    Very Active Member wrisperj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southeast GA
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SHUNT View Post
    I'm planning on a swapping the stock pipes and adding a power commander. I want some shorter chrome pipes that won't blue. Suggestions?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chopped stockers
    Blessed to be the best

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Very Active Member Mrtallguy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Posts
    442

    Default

    I had chopped stock with scorpion tips and really liked them. I switched to the Icebox shorty VP a few years ago and really dig this new set up. Its not as loud as the old set up, but it has a nice deep growl! I know Champ is selling a set of cobra longs for dirt cheap (like $150) Might be a good way to go and then modify them to whatever length you want. He is in Iowa, but I have a friend that lives in Iowa and drives to Gardner every other weekend.

    BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

  7. #5
    Very Active Member Mrtallguy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Posts
    442

    Default

    also I am running the Cobra auto tune. If your not looking for every extra HP from your mods it the best way to go. It auto tunes and will self correct for any new mods, where the PC will require a new map and possibly a new custom dyno tune every time you change your set up. I'm on my 3rd exhaust, 3rd intake and 3rd fuel management lol.

    BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtallguy67 View Post
    I had chopped stock with scorpion tips and really liked them. I switched to the Icebox shorty VP a few years ago and really dig this new set up. Its not as loud as the old set up, but it has a nice deep growl! I know Champ is selling a set of cobra longs for dirt cheap (like $150) Might be a good way to go and then modify them to whatever length you want. He is in Iowa, but I have a friend that lives in Iowa and drives to Gardner every other weekend.
    Got any pics?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtallguy67 View Post
    also I am running the Cobra auto tune. If your not looking for every extra HP from your mods it the best way to go. It auto tunes and will self correct for any new mods, where the PC will require a new map and possibly a new custom dyno tune every time you change your set up. I'm on my 3rd exhaust, 3rd intake and 3rd fuel management lol.
    I'd like to get a bit more power. I've test ridden the demo bike at Olathe Suzuki with pipes, intake and power commander. It's an impressive difference in power. They quoted me 1200 to match the setup on mine.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #8
    Very Active Member Mrtallguy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SHUNT View Post
    Got any pics?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender(1).jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	350810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141005_174524.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	350802

    BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

  11. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtallguy67 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender(1).jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	350810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141005_174524.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	350802
    I like the icebox pipe. Definitely looks better than the shortened stock pipes. Love the wheels. Nice looking set up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #10
    Very Active Member Mrtallguy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SHUNT View Post
    I'd like to get a bit more power. I've test ridden the demo bike at Olathe Suzuki with pipes, intake and power commander. It's an impressive difference in power. They quoted me 1200 to match the setup on mine.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The cobra auto tune will give you more power, it just wont give you every ounce of power as it cannot be custom tuned on a dyno to your bike and its specific mods. The PC can be custom mapped per engine cylinder where the auto tune cant. However it is a lot cheaper as it requires no dyno money. If you just loading in basic maps to the PC the power pro will be on par with it or maybe better. It just leaves a few horses on the table compared to a advanced tune.

    BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

  13. #11
    Very Active Member Mrtallguy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SHUNT View Post
    I like the icebox pipe. Definitely looks better than the shortened stock pipes. Love the wheels. Nice looking set up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I like the look of the VP pipe, but I loved the sound of the modified stock one. If you need a hand with any mods let me know.

    BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

  14. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtallguy67 View Post
    Thanks! I like the look of the VP pipe, but I loved the sound of the modified stock one. If you need a hand with any mods let me know.
    Thanks, will do.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #13
    Very Active Member Mrtallguy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Here is a pic of Champs bike with the cobra longs I mentioned.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ba7yte3e.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	350818

    BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

  16. #14
    Very Active Member Mrtallguy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Do you have any mods on the bike now? I would recommend an XTRE as well if you don't have one already, or you could send your ECU to Scorp for a flash.

    BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

  17. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtallguy67 View Post
    Do you have any mods on the bike now? I would recommend an XTRE as well if you don't have one already, or you could send your ECU to Scorp for a flash.
    It's all stock now. Will the xtre really be any benefit if I add a power commander and have it professionally tuned?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #16
    Very Active Member Mrtallguy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SHUNT View Post
    It's all stock now. Will the xtre really be any benefit if I add a power commander and have it professionally tuned?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would have to do more research to answer that intelligently. Trod or Scorp would be able to give you that answer. I don't know what all the PC system allows them to adjust while doing a advanced custom map.

    BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

  19. #17
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    KENTUCKY
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SHUNT View Post
    I'd like to get a bit more power. I've test ridden the demo bike at Olathe Suzuki with pipes, intake and power commander. It's an impressive difference in power. They quoted me 1200 to match the setup on mine.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly what exhaust, intakes, along with the Power Commander did they quote you? Not every exhaust and intake is going to do the job, and $1200 for all three doesn't sound like they're not going to put top notch performance products on your bike. The Shorty Velocity Pro and SideBurner are approximately $775.00 each, Power Commander is approximately $500.00, Cobra Power Pro is approximately $425.00, and a good performing set of intakes is approximately $600.00-$1000.00 per set, depending on how much you're willing to pay. The worst thing you can do is to trust the dealership to quote you and provide you with top quality aftermarket performance parts for your 9. Most of them have no clue about what the best products are for the 9. You can go after the cheapest items you can find, and you'll get what you pay for. Realistically, you're looking at approximately $2000.00, and that's including the ECU FLASH by SCORP, which is $100.00. Modding the 9 properly is not a cheap endeavor, by any means, unless you can machine,and fabricate a bunch of things on your own.

  20. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Exactly what exhaust, intakes, along with the Power Commander did they quote you? Not every exhaust and intake is going to do the job, and $1200 for all three doesn't sound like they're not going to put top notch performance products on your bike. The Shorty Velocity Pro and SideBurner are approximately $775.00 each, Power Commander is approximately $500.00, Cobra Power Pro is approximately $425.00, and a good performing set of intakes is approximately $600.00-$1000.00 per set, depending on how much you're willing to pay. The worst thing you can do is to trust the dealership to quote you and provide you with top quality aftermarket performance parts for your 9. Most of them have no clue about what the best products are for the 9. You can go after the cheapest items you can find, and you'll get what you pay for. Realistically, you're looking at approximately $2000.00, and that's including the ECU FLASH by SCORP, which is $100.00. Modding the 9 properly is not a cheap endeavor, by any means, unless you can machine,and fabricate a bunch of things on your own.
    I'll get the specifics and update the post to get opinions. Maybe the guy was full of crap or didn't know what he was talking about. He was basically matching the demo bike they did. This is the demo bike, I wouldn't go with these pipes though so I'm sure the pipes I pick will increase the price.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #19
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SHUNT View Post
    It's all stock now. Will the xtre really be any benefit if I add a power commander and have it professionally tuned?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, the X-TRE will be beneficial, even with a fuel tuner. It causes the bike to use a less restrictive map for the timing, secondary throttle plates, fuel, etc.....

    If you get your ECU flashed by Scorp, he makes those changes (and then some) with the flash, so the X-TRE is not needed.

  22. #20
    Very Active Member Mrtallguy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Those are the bassini pipes, they run about 600 new maybe less depending on where you get them. Do you want a 2 into 2 or a 2 into 1 set up? Looks like he is running stock intakes, do you know if the map they have installed is a true custom map or just a baseline one off the website?

    BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

  23. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtallguy67 View Post
    Those are the bassini pipes, they run about 600 new maybe less depending on where you get them. Do you want a 2 into 2 or a 2 into 1 set up? Looks like he is running stock intakes, do you know if the map they have installed is a true custom map or just a baseline one off the website?
    I don't know on the mapping. I want to go with a 2 into 1


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #22
    Very Active Member Mrtallguy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos109 View Post
    Yes, the X-TRE will be beneficial, even with a fuel tuner. It causes the bike to use a less restrictive map for the timing, secondary throttle plates, fuel, etc.....

    If you get your ECU flashed by Scorp, he makes those changes (and then some) with the flash, so the X-TRE is not needed.
    I agree flashing is the best way to go if you have the extra funds. Scorp charges $200 if I recall for his flash. That what I would have done if he was able to hack the 2012 and up ECU when I was building mine. I went XTRE because it was all you could do on the 2012's at the time, now he can hack them and get you the most bang for your buck.

    BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

  25. #23
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    KENTUCKY
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Hey Shunt, not only is that exhaust a low-end exhaust, that demo bike still has the stock intakes on it. If he's quoting you for some K&N Air Filters to go inside the intake covers, it's a waste of money. The replacement K&N Air Filters are not going to make much of a difference inside that closed intake cover. That was one of the mistakes I made when I got my first M109R. In addition, the dealership will never be able to get the aftermarket mods you want/need at the price you can get them on line. They're definitely going to mark them up to make a profit on you. Your best bet is to allow the members of this forum to help you find the items you want at the very best price possible. You may even be fortunate enough to find some members selling the very items you're looking for. That happens all the time here. Just be smart, and stay away from the dealership for your aftermarket parts need. They will drag you over the hot coles.

  26. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Hey Shunt, not only is that exhaust a low-end exhaust, that demo bike still has the stock intakes on it. If he's quoting you for some K&N Air Filters to go inside the intake covers, it's a waste of money. The replacement K&N Air Filters are not going to make much of a difference inside that closed intake cover. That was one of the mistakes I made when I got my first M109R. In addition, the dealership will never be able to get the aftermarket mods you want/need at the price you can get them on line. They're definitely going to mark them up to make a profit on you. Your best bet is to allow the members of this forum to help you find the items you want at the very best price possible. You may even be fortunate enough to find some members selling the very items you're looking for. That happens all the time here. Just be smart, and stay away from the dealership for your aftermarket parts need. They will drag you over the hot coles.
    Great advice, thanks. Any recommendations on intakes?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #25
    Very Active Member Mrtallguy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SHUNT View Post
    I don't know on the mapping. I want to go with a 2 into 1


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If that's what you want I would say the side burner or VP pipe is the best way to go. The Revo Canon is nice too, but is 2x the price. Hard krome knocked off the Icebox shorty pipe a while back and sells it for about the same price as Icebox, but I like the Icebox pipe better. Its a little longer can "muffler" and Len does top notch work mudding the standard versions.

    Here is their shorty version for you to compare to my Icebox one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	350842

    BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

  28. #26
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SHUNT View Post
    Great advice, thanks. Any recommendations on intakes?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I think the consensus is that the Thunder MFG Tornado intakes are the best performing. You can see one side of the Tornado intakes on my bike.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M109_Supertrapp_1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	350850
    Last edited by Kratos109; 05-17-2017 at 02:40 PM.

  29. #27
    Very Active Member Mrtallguy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SHUNT View Post
    Great advice, thanks. Any recommendations on intakes?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I would say a budget is necessary to make realistic recommendations, but that's just me. You need to find something that is open and free flowing that allows the bike to suck cool air from the outside. The stock configuration gets its air flow from between the cylinders through a 1.5'' hole. So its restrictive and sucks nothing but hot air and that robs power.

    On the less expensive side you could do a set of Ducks covers or the Holly mod. Both are well liked by those who went that route. A bit more money you could look at the barron xxx big suckers or similar. Then jumping up in price you have the tornados, q5, hypercharges and others. Just some options to look at, I would narrow down the style of intake you like and see what your budget is for them. Then members can give you better advice and direction if needed.

    What Judah says is correct, check the classifieds and also the M109R FB pages for deals on used parts. If you want to hear my pipe in person let me know.

    BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

  30. #28
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Manteno Il
    Posts
    501

    Default

    I have stock pipes (Getting a Sideburner as soon as I can) K&N Air filters in stock intakes which I do not plan to change, Scorp flashed my ECU which made my 9 wake up and made it perform more smoothly.

    I added a PCV last week and changed the map that added 5% fuel across the fuel table and my 9 has never been faster or more responsive!!! The acceleration to 130+ is insane!

    I may get it dynoed to see where it is now and get it done again after the Sideburner.

  31. #29
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    KENTUCKY
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SHUNT View Post
    Great advice, thanks. Any recommendations on intakes?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My recommendation is any air intake set that's open in the front, and closed in the back to force air into the system, such as the Thunder Tornado Intakes, and Cycle House Q5 Intakes, because they don't allow air to escape out of the back side of the Intake Housing at any point. Some of the others, such as LA Chopper Intakes, Big Air Intakes, XXL Intakes, and Hyper Chargers are all open in the back, so some of the air escapes, instead of being forced, as the bike is moving forward. There's also one set of Intakes that look sort of like Hyper Chargers, but they are completely closed on the back side. I can't remember the name of them, but I think MeanCycles sells them. They are very nice, and very effective, from what I've been told.

  32. #30
    Very Active Member Poseidon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    4,030

    Default

    I'm not sure if the PCV for the 9 is capable of adjusting the timing or not, but the one on my Magnum does. If the timing can be advanced using the PCV, an XTRE would not be needed. If the PCV can't, then you would want the XTRE also.

    I'm not sure what year 9 you have, but if it is 2011 or newer, don't forget to order an ESE (exhaust servo eliminator) when you change your pipes. On older 9's, you can just pull a wire from the ECU plug.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •