Best place to splice in wiring

Thread: Best place to splice in wiring

Default Best place to splice in wiring

So I'm new to wiring and electric upgrades. Splicing in my USB connector and four LED pod lights (two on the wheel where the finder bolts and two on the engine guards.

For those of you that have done this before, where did you find the best place to splice in your wires. I'm eyeing the wires that feed into the headlight as the most intuitive. Its too short, so I'll need to splice in some extensions and then add the above when the slack is long enough.

Anyone found any better places?

Also, I'm thinking with the extra power draws, I probably need to invest in a voltmeter, but where the best place to put in (meaning where to splice it in for the most utility) I'm not sure of. Advice?

Thanks

lb

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

If you just want things on with the key, any orange wire with or without a stripe is powered when the key is on. You don't need a voltmeter for such a small additional load as you describe. Headlight is a bad idea because you have a low and high beam. Better is the front running lights.

Quote Originally Posted by TRod View Post
    If you just want things on with the key, any orange wire with or without a stripe is powered when the key is on. You don't need a voltmeter for such a small additional load as you describe. Headlight is a bad idea because you have a low and high beam. Better is the front running lights.
    Thanks. I forgot about the daytime running lights of the turn signals. They have alot of slack to them already.

I'm still worried that with 2 more amps of LED pod drainage, a cell phone charger, and a GPS running that I might be overloading the power supply and draining the battery, but maybe I'm being paranoid.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LoBlo View Post
    Thanks. I forgot about the daytime running lights of the turn signals. They have alot of slack to them already.

I'm still worried that with 2 more amps of LED pod drainage, a cell phone charger, and a GPS running that I might be overloading the power supply and draining the battery, but maybe I'm being paranoid.
    Not going to be an issue. More than that is being shunted to ground just to keep the voltage in the proper range.

If you are worried about the draw, or if you plan to add more circuits in the future, check out a FuzeBlock. Lots of info in the link below. I also have info posted in my build thread. I mounted mine under the right side cover. There is a link to it in my signature below.

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158363