Mayhave killed my 9? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mayhave killed my 9?

Very Active Member

I am simply amazed at the kind of things I read here ... How in Gods name can anybody change the oil and filter and not check that everything is ok and tight , no leaks , etc ? it is a no brainer after the oil change to start the engine for a couple of minutes , check that the oil light is turned off , no leaks , etc , and then , turn the engine off and visually check that the oil filter and oil plugs are tight and they are not leaking then recheck the oil level , etc .
    You want to make sure everything is OK before anything else .
    I mean , this incident doesn`t compare to the one I read a few days ago that the guy switched off the kill switch by mistake while riding , the bike died , cut not start the bike again no matter what he did and spent hours on the road stranded until he found out that what the problem was ... that one takes the first cake price , but this one .. come on , it is just common sense .
    Last edited by josey88; 3 Days Ago at 01:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by josey88 View Post
    I am simply amazed at the kind of things I read here ... How in Gods name can anybody change the oil and filter and not check that everything is ok and tight , no leaks , etc ? it is a no brainer after the oil change to start the engine for a couple of minutes , check that the oil light is turned off , no leaks , etc , and then , turn the engine off and visually check that the oil filter and oil plugs are tight and they are not leaking then recheck the oil level , etc .
    I mean , this incident doesn`t compare to the one I read a few days ago that the guy switched off the kill switch by mistake while riding , the bike died , cut not start the bike again no matter what he did and spent hours on the road stranded until he found out that what the problem was ... that one takes the first cake price , but this one .. come on , it is just common sense .
    Because some of us are humans, and not perfect. OP may have visually check everything,

but as he wrote it happened like this:

I had about 500+ miles on it since oil change, but I guess the go fast ride I took last night was enough to make it come loose.

M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Had a diesel pickup. Changed the oil and thought I had sufficiently tightened the filter but it backed off after a short while. Since then, I always use a wrench to cinch the filter just a bit after I think it's tight enough.

Crap happens even when you think you've done everything right.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Bro, your comments our not representative of what this forum stands for, which is assisting, encouraging, and sharing knowledge and experiences with one another in order to improve the overall ownership, maintenance, and riding skills of everyone. I highly doubt there's any member of this forum who hasn't mistakenly overlooked some requirements, and committed errors in judgement or analysis when faced with a troubleshooting problem, or something else in life. No one is perfect, and it's just not cool to criticize or insult other members of our forum. That's just not what this forum is about. Every member of this forum owes it to every other member to be respectful toward one another, and to be mindful of the comments we post for everyone else to read. Remember this...an ounce of POSITIVE goes much further and does much more good than a pound of negative will ever do!!!

Have a blessed day Bro. 😊👍

A few weeks ago I changed the oil in my Ranger. After I had it all back together, started it and let it run, meanwhile doing some clean up. When I got back to it, there was a big pool of oil on the floor. It was leaking around the filter. Took the filter off, and the gasket was just gone. I had oiled it before putting it on, and made sure the old one was on the old filter. Don't know what happened to it, can't find it anywhere. Weird. Even with no gasket, it was just a small drip. Never had that happen to me before. But a small drip with new oil can sure make a big mess!!

So, shat happens! Even when we think for sure everything is right.
    SILVER 2006 M109R. Brembo front brake calipers, Corbin Smuggler, Low & Mean chrome chin scoop, Mean Cycles T-Rex speedo trim, Cobra Tri-Pro exhaust, LA Choppers xXx Big Air intakes, D2Moto tail light, Kuryakin clear signals, Yana Shiki One Inch Drop Risers, BreakAway Cruise Control, Suzuki Full Cut Gel Seat, JDA Chrome Fork Caps.

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

If you're a football fan

all I can say is

C'mon Man

**** happens and no need to belittle people that had a problem and coming here to post.

With a post like that it would make fellow members not want to even ask a question as they may get **** on by someone

Like, we can't all be perfect man

Last year I bought a brand spanking new battery for my M109R2, and proceeded to install it (something I have done dozens of times). For some reason, I couldn't get everything to work on the bike no matter what I did... Lights were doing strange things; the dashboard was acting silly...

After checking everything, and in a daze of confusion, I called my mechanic buddy over to come take a look. He took one look at the bike and immediately figured out what was wrong...

Turns out I installed the battery cables backwards on to the battery... It is painfully obvious how the battery is supposed to be hooked up, with one cable even longer than the other, and a big red cap that should make this process idiot proof. Not sure what was going on in my little mind that day; but incredibly embarrassing for someone that considers himself at least somewhat mechanical. Doesn't get much dumber than that .

We all have those kind of days... Humility is good! Its cathartic to admit our less than stellar moments. A metaphor for life...

Warhawk

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRod View Post
    The oil light is, in fact, a pressure light. It comes on when the oil pressure gets below 10 psi. There is no "low oil level" sensor.
    Correct!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Vegas Meet May 17-24, 2017! Let's bet on a great time!
    http://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=321882
    please pipe in; May 17-24, 2017 as new date for Vegas Meet, as Nov 1-8 too cold and windy!
    http://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=321882

I agree that sometimes things just go wrong because one has overlooked something so simple. It has happened to me more times that I care to remember. Sad, but these things happen. At least we get to laugh at ourselves from time to time. BTW, I have done the battery thing before myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    Last year I bought a brand spanking new battery for my M109R2, and proceeded to install it (something I have done dozens of times). For some reason, I couldn't get everything to work on the bike no matter what I did... Lights were doing strange things; the dashboard was acting silly...

After checking everything, and in a daze of confusion, I called my mechanic buddy over to come take a look. He took one look at the bike and immediately figured out what was wrong...

Turns out I installed the battery cables backwards on to the battery... It is painfully obvious how the battery is supposed to be hooked up, with one cable even longer than the other, and a big red cap that should make this process idiot proof. Not sure what was going on in my little mind that day; but incredibly embarrassing for someone that considers himself at least somewhat mechanical. Doesn't get much dumber than that .

We all have those kind of days... Humility is good! Its cathartic to admit our less than stellar moments. A metaphor for life...

Warhawk
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT"