exhaust pulses .. is there a problem ?

Thread: exhaust pulses .. is there a problem ?

Default exhaust pulses .. is there a problem ?

hello brotheres and great forum i parked my bike for about 2 month and when i satrted riding again i heard somne weird pulses developed from the exhaust i cannot be sure if this sound existed before or just something new my workshop told me it may be from cobrapwr pro dumping much fuel or may be the spark plugs need to change or bad spark plug i changed the spark plugs and the sound still exists some times it appeares that this pulses comes from the rear cyclinder the bike is only 10k 2007 i wonder if this is natural sound or something need to be adjusted like bad injector or valve or pistons sync needed ...etc i have cobra pwrpro black and its default setting is 4% when i take it down to zero% the sound disappeared but this means i will be so lean with k&n filters and cobra speedster longs i tried to unblock the pair valve but nothing changed so i blocked it back here is the sound would some body help identifing is ther e any problem or thats normal " pulses " sound (hear the sound in the video from 18 :00 sec)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnMlHyJAR68

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Hmm, have you taken for a good long ride yet? Did you put any gas storage conditioner in it? Have you changed the fuel filter sock? Have you put a bit of gas line antifreeze in the tank in case water is in the gas? Was the battery disconnected at any point or has gone dead during the 2 months?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Vegas Meet May 17-24, 2017! Let's bet on a great time!
    http://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=321882

Quote Originally Posted by biker-chicky View Post
    Hmm, have you taken for a good long ride yet?not long just around the city but not too long Did you put any gas storage conditioner in it?nope i didnt Have you changed the fuel filter sock?yes but thats was from 6 month agog i changed it with new one Have you put a bit of gas line antifreeze in the tank in case water is in the gas?nope. i didnt Was the battery disconnected at any point or has gone dead during the 2 months? yes it dead during that period and i charged it Sent from my iPad using TapatalkVegas Meet May 17-24, 2017! Let's bet on a great time!http://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=321882
    Hmm, have you taken for a good long ride yet?not long just around the city but not too long Did you put any gas storage conditioner in it?nope i didnt Have you changed the fuel filter sock?yes but thats was from 6 month agog i changed it with new one Have you put a bit of gas line antifreeze in the tank in case water is in the gas?nope. i didnt Was the battery disconnected at any point or has gone dead during the 2 months? yes it dead during that period and i charged it then plugged it back after 2 days so can you tell me what that sound means ? or what i can do as service now thanx alot for help
    Last edited by redadeath; 02-07-2017 at 11:09 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by redadeath View Post
    Hmm, have you taken for a good long ride yet?not long just around the city but not too long Did you put any gas storage conditioner in it?nope i didnt Have you changed the fuel filter sock?yes but thats was from 6 month agog i changed it with new one Have you put a bit of gas line antifreeze in the tank in case water is in the gas?nope. i didnt Was the battery disconnected at any point or has gone dead during the 2 months? yes it dead during that period and i charged it then plugged it back after 2 days so can you tell me what that sound means ? or what i can do as service now thanx alot for help
    Well, my gutt still says it's the gas, can you ride out the old gas and put in the best high octane on you next fill up. Once you do that. Then maybe others might have some suggestions. I don't have the mods you do, so I'm going by the basics.

Two months is not long enough to cause gasoline to deteriorate enough to cause running problems. Mine sits for longer than that during the cold months and I never put anything in the gas for storage, except a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil. Maybe if the fuel is a high ethanol content, it could absorb some water. I wouldn't even ride it if I though the gas was bad. I have one of those squeeze bulbs that you use to siphon gas. Empty the tank, put some known good gas in it and see what happens. Put the old gas in your cage, unless it's a high performance cage. Then use it in the lawn mower.
    SILVER 2006 M109R. Brembo front brake calipers, Corbin Smuggler, Low & Mean chrome chin scoop, Cycle House chrome kickstand, Mean Cycles T-Rex speedo trim, Cobra Tri-Pro exhaust, LA Choppers xXx Big Air intakes, D2Moto tail light, Kuryakin clear signals, Yana Shiki One Inch Drop Risers, BreakAway Cruise Control, Suzuki Full Cut Gel Seat, JDA Chrome Fork Caps.

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Two months is not long enough to cause gasoline to deteriorate enough to cause running problems. Mine sits for longer than that during the cold months and I never put anything in the gas for storage, except a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil. Maybe if the fuel is a high ethanol content, it could absorb some water. I wouldn't even ride it if I though the gas was bad. I have one of those squeeze bulbs that you use to siphon gas. Empty the tank, put some known good gas in it and see what happens. Put the old gas in your cage, unless it's a high performance cage. Then use it in the lawn mower.
    thank you for your reply so is that sound "pulses" just a gas problem related ? or may be something else need to be checked or adjusted .thanx alot
    Last edited by redadeath; 02-08-2017 at 08:13 PM.

NOTE: I HAVE SMALL EXHAUST LEAK at the last extension of the exhaust pipewich attached to the rear cylinder the leak is just before the baffles section ... would that contribute to the problem ... i got no back firing at all during riding ?

Default bump

any ideas?

I get the feeling that it may not be much of concern or maybe some guy was trying to get you all freaked out about nothing. Personally I don't hear anything to be concerned about. The bike is fuel injected, the computer makes adjustments automatically. Ride it my friend and when your due for your next service take it to a different dealer and ask what they think of the sound.

It's a simple misfire as I hear it. I would run the old fuel out (2 months is enough time for fuel to go bad because you have no idea how long it sat around before you put it in), put in some fresh fuel with some cleaner additive (brand doesn't really matter, just a fuel/combustion chamber cleaner) and ride it.

i added cycle max 44 cleaner to the tank on fresh fuel it seems the same

the bike once stalled during idle and it got suspicious about cleaning my k&N filters that may make my fuel mixture rich as i can get some black smoke when i start the bike and alot of gas smell ... beside the pp tuner that enrich my mixture

since the sound disappears when i get down the first settings from 4% TO ZERO WITHIN THE POWER PRO so i will update after cleaning the filters

the bike once stalled during idle and it got suspicious about cleaning my k&N filters that may make my fuel mixture rich as i can get some black smoke when i start the bike and alot of gas smell ... beside the pp tuner that enrich my mixture

since the sound disappears when i get down the first settings from 4% TO ZERO WITHIN THE POWER PRO so i will update after cleaning the filters
    No matter how open the filter system is, there is really not much reason to richen the mixture at idle. There's so little air flowing that the filters matter not.

Quote Originally Posted by TRod View Post
    No matter how open the filter system is, there is really not much reason to richen the mixture at idle. There's so little air flowing that the filters matter not.
    i live in place where it is very high humidity .. would a bad "spark plug coil " cause by been parked in my garage may cause misfires .... and how can i check it ?
    thnx

I don't know if this will help, but when I first got the 9 I had to get use to the fact it was fuel injected, I had to stop blipping the throttle at start up to stop my misfires. I have not had a misfire, oh heck, I'd have to say, hmm, I cant even remember the last time I had it, so ya, over 9 years ago.

You are using a power pro? Oh yes you wrote cobra power pro, hmmm. Personally I don't like those.

Last edited by biker-chicky; 02-26-2017 at 11:38 AM.

You are using a power pro? Oh yes you wrote cobra power pro, hmmm. Personally I don't like those.

May I ask why? Have you tried one?...

It is very useful especially in the area where altitude changes a lot....

Both of my nines have one. In European Alps I rode

with and without one, big difference in high altitudes...
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Have you ever ridden a 9 with a Power Pro on it? I have. And it's quite a unit. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Have you ever ridden a 9 with a Power Pro on it? I have. And it's quite a unit. Don't knock it until you've tried it.
    Yes, my chicky friend had one on her 9 she hated it , nothing but problems, spent more time at the dealer then riding it, eventually she got so frustrated with it she had it set back to stock, disabled it some how, dealer/mechanic had to call in someone to figure it out. Then sold it and bought a Harley. I like the idea of programming directly to the ECM.
    Here is a good link to why I like the idea to "flash the ECU"
    If you do a search in shop talk Scorp Flash ECU, more links will show up, here is one of them.

Removing Secondaries

Hmmm the link is not working, seems to be difficult linking to another thread in tapatalk, well, if your interested just do a search in shop talk.Seems to be be the modern option in my opinion.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...8&share_type=t
    Last edited by biker-chicky; 02-27-2017 at 03:52 AM.

Yes, my chicky friend had one on her 9 she hated it , nothing but problems, spent more time at the dealer then riding it, eventually she got so frustrated with it she had it set back to stock, disabled it some how, dealer/mechanic had to call in someone to figure it out. Then sold it and bought a Harley. I like the idea of programming directly to the ECM.
    Here is a good link to why I like the idea to "flash the ECU"
    If you do a search in shop talk Scorp Flash ECU, more links will show up, here is one of them.

Removing Secondaries

Hmmm the link is not working, seems to be difficult linking to another thread in tapatalk, well, if your interested just do a search in shop talk.Seems to be be the modern option in my opinion.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...8&share_type=t
    Pretty sure that wasn't a Cobra Power Pro. It's a plug in affair and the solution if something doesn't work right is to just remove it. There is no setting back to factory or disabling it.

It may have been a Power Commander. Those require mapping and become slightly more integrated into the bike's system (requires tapping into a sensor).

Even Scorp admits that the ECU flash may not be enough if your intakes and exhaust are too open. It still might need a fuel processor.

There's not that much to be gained in removing secondaries and it requires a full on fuel processor (like a Power Commander) and a good dyno tune to run right afterwards. Not worth the end result as far as I'm concerned.

Very Active Member

I don`t have the "Cobra Powr Pro "per se on my 2013 M109r , because mine is a Fi2000r that you adjust manually with 3 pots , and the grip acceleration response on my bike is so instantaneous and crisp that it will snap your head off if you are not careful with the throttle . As a matter of fact , I would like it to be less aggressive some times . I have play on the throttle cables , so it is not tense or tight but simply that this thing is a beast and that the combination of the Fi2000r and the X-TRE is a killer one .
    Zero problems with the bike , except for one day I had the FI light come on and when I checked it , it was the vacuum hose of the left hypercharger that got loose and was hanging free out of the vacuum intake . I put a small clamp on both (left and right , just in case) and that was it .
    I do pour a little bit (an ounce or two) of SeaFoam every other gas tank to keep injectors and the fuel system in good shape .
    I think of my 9 as my personal missile , lol...
    Last edited by josey88; 02-27-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Pretty sure that wasn't a Cobra Power Pro. It's a plug in affair and the solution if something doesn't work right is to just remove it. There is no setting back to factory or disabling it.

It may have been a Power Commander. Those require mapping and become slightly more integrated into the bike's system (requires tapping into a sensor).

Even Scorp admits that the ECU flash may not be enough if your intakes and exhaust are too open. It still might need a fuel processor.

There's not that much to be gained in removing secondaries and it requires a full on fuel processor (like a Power Commander) and a good dyno tune to run right afterwards. Not worth the end result as far as I'm concerned.
    Awe, thanks good tips, thanks.