My first 109 specs and gear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first 109 specs and gear

Default My first 109 specs and gear

So I'm finally getting ready to buy my 1st 109, riding a m50 currently, and I've decided to straight away get all my aftermarket mods on at the purchase. Here's what I have so far

TIRE AND RIMS

Rims:
    RC Components Majestic Eclipse Wheel
    http://shoprccomponents.com/majestic-eclipse-wheel/

Tires
    Pirelli Night Dragon 130/70R18 and 240/40/R18
    http://www.revzilla.com/product/pire...gon-rear-tires

FRONT FAIRINGS

Engine Guard
    Suzuki Glass Black Engine Guards
    http://www.swampworksinc.com/m109r-b...t-matte-black/

Front Fender
    Low and Mean Stealth Front Fender (Gel-Coat Black Finish Ready to be sanded for paint)
    http://lowandmean.com/index.php?page...mart&Itemid=60

Chin Spoiler
    Low and Mean Chin Fairing (no center hole ready for primer and paint)
    http://lowandmean.com/index.php?page...mart&Itemid=60

LIGHTING and ELECTRIC

Engine Guard Lights

Cirius Engine Guard Lights 1.25 x 3.75 Black
    https://www.ciriususa.com/product/engine-guard-lights/

Front and Rear Turn Signals
    Kuryakyn Matte Black Indicator Lights
    http://www.jpcycles.com/product/178-488

Rear Plate Holder
    Fender Eliminator
    http://www.customizedbikeparts.com/s...der-eliminator

Black Integrated Tail Light
    Glass Black Integrated Tail Light (Boss Edition)
    http://www.swampworksinc.com/m109r-g...edition-06-up/

Brake Light Modulator
    Signal Dynamics BackOFF XP Brake Light Module
    http://www.signaldynamics.com/backoffxp

Horns
    PIAA Slim Line Sports Horn (500Hz)
    http://www.piaa.com/store/p/411-Powe...orn-500Hz.aspx

LED Light Installation
    XK Glow Pod lights (light blue)
    http://www.xkglow.com/Ultra_Bright_M...p/xk034001.htm

MISC

Kickstand
    Yana Skiki Black Anodized Exotic Style Kickstand ran
    http://www.swampworksinc.com/m109r-b...yle-kickstand/

Grips
    Avon MT Air Cushion Anodized Grips with Throttle Assist
    http://avongrips-com.3dcartstores.co...ist_p_287.html

Saddle Bag
    Ham's Solo III Saddle bag
    http://www.ham-design.se/solo-iii.html

I'm excited, but I ran into some concerns though

1. I'ld love a matte black engine guard, but all I can find is gloss black :(
    2. My imbedded engine guard lights are going to tilt downward and not forward because of the guard angles... solutions?
    3. Those matte black turn signals may or may not be compatible with the bike... :(

Anyway, the dealer is looking into what they can provide themselves (its the Plano Suzuki crew, they are a great dealer to work with!) Hopefully it will be ready by weather warming for some new season riding!

So excited that I just thought I'ld share.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Oh wow! Very exciting, have you found a 9 yet? Are you looking at some for sale on the forum? There are some amazing deals already!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Vegas Meet May 17-24, 2017! Let's bet on a great time!
    http://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=321882

Quote Originally Posted by biker-chicky View Post
    Oh wow! Very exciting, have you found a 9 yet? Are you looking at some for sale on the forum? There are some amazing deals already!

Yeah, I went with the dealer that sold me my 1st bike in the Dallas, TX area (near where I live) as I really like the sales team. I'm going with one of the metal grey paint with blacked out engines.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

1. Engine guards are easy to paint if they clash with the rest..
    2. Embedded lights you want have no intent to light the road. Only to make you more visible = "marker lights"
    3. Those matte black turn signals are not prewired to work as a 'Running Lights' as the originals are...
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post
    1. Engine guards are easy to paint if they clash with the rest..
    2. Embedded lights you want have no intent to light the road. Only to make you more visible = "marker lights"
    3. Those matte black turn signals are not prewired to work as a 'Running Lights' as the originals are...
    I didn't realize the the stock signals were running lights.

I see from your list of mods that you are replacing your rims and tires. Many on this site have chosen to go with a wider rim and tire for the front and rear. I think you can go up to a 280 on the rear without replacing the swingarm. I'm sure if you put it out there you can find all the tire and rim info you would need to convert to a wider rear tire. Just my 2 cents worth.
    H.C. Velocity Pro, Cobra Engine Guards, ISO Blk Grips, National Cycle VStream Tour, Kuryakyn Switchblade Pegs, G/M TRE, .....

Congratulations and way to hit the ground running with the mods, but take it from experience you won't stop there. Lol. Once the mods bug bites there is no known cure. I do agree if your getting new wheels I'd get wider ones so if you decide to go fatter with the rubber it will save a lot of money later. Remember to post pictures.
    the probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act

Lol also with bigger tires, the ride is different, like going from short skies the longer skies! I. Just noticed it when we had no choice but to put the stock size back on the bike because we were too lazy to change them before a big ride to discover it was just to dangerous to be riding in the mountions/cascades of Northern Washington on near balled tires. Even going only from 250 E3s which are fairly big back to the 240 was an amazing change in ride. The only way to describe it is to use snow skies as an example.

As long as you're throwing the bucks, you might add a Brakeaway throttle lock.

When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman349 View Post
    I see from your list of mods that you are replacing your rims and tires. Many on this site have chosen to go with a wider rim and tire for the front and rear. I think you can go up to a 280 on the rear without replacing the swingarm. I'm sure if you put it out there you can find all the tire and rim info you would need to convert to a wider rear tire. Just my 2 cents worth.
    I'm scared to... ... even the 240s will be the widest tires I've ever ridden, since I've only been riding for 6 months and that's been on a 180mm M50. The fat boys are new to me and I figured that I need to get used to the handling before I take on something I'm not ready for.

I do have to admit that those fatties sure do look amazing.

lb

Lol also with bigger tires, the ride is different, like going from short skies the longer skies! I. Just noticed it when we had no choice but to put the stock size back on the bike because we were too lazy to change them before a big ride to discover it was just to dangerous to be riding in the mountions/cascades of Northern Washington on near balled tires. Even going only from 250 E3s which are fairly big back to the 240 was an amazing change in ride. The only way to describe it is to use snow skies as an example.
    Too bad I don't ski... from what I've been told, those fat tires make for a tendency to understeer since the contact patch is to wide without a lot of curve. Is that true?

Bummer that with all the gear that I'm ordering it will be weeks to get everything in and installed. Guess it doesn't matter now anyway since its the cold season. Feels like a kid waiting for Christmas to come again!

lb

Quote Originally Posted by LoBlo View Post
    Too bad I don't ski... from what I've been told, those fat tires make for a tendency to understeer since the contact patch is to wide without a lot of curve. Is that true?

Bummer that with all the gear that I'm ordering it will be weeks to get everything in and installed. Guess it doesn't matter now anyway since its the cold season. Feels like a kid waiting for Christmas to come again!

lb
    The contact changes as the tire wears, the E3 250 in my opinion has a nice high round feel when the tire is new, it feels similar to the stock. Once you wear down your first set of tires you'll want to go to the 250. Then try larger, or not. The twisties are just as fun with the wider tire and I feel a lot more stable, more rubber to grip by far. The stock size I felt I could take them faster as it felt effortless to go threw them. Riding the 9 is great fun! Take your time my friend, going threw the corners at stock hight is also easy, you are getting the air ride, ya?

Quote Originally Posted by QZephyr View Post
    That BrakeAway Throttle Lock is really nice, I have one on my Stratoliner, very nice mod and it fit's over my Kuryakyn ISO Grips...
    Last edited by diggerdan; 01-10-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Orange '08 M109R Sold
    '13 Yamaha VMAX
    '06 Yamaha Stratoliner "S"
    "Drink The Wind!"

The contact changes as the tire wears, the E3 250 in my opinion has a nice high round feel when the tire is new, it feels similar to the stock. Once you wear down your first set of tires you'll want to go to the 250. Then try larger, or not. The twisties are just as fun with the wider tire and I feel a lot more stable, more rubber to grip by far. The stock size I felt I could take them faster as it felt effortless to go threw them. Riding the 9 is great fun! Take your time my friend, going threw the corners at stock hight is also easy, you are getting the air ride, ya?
    I've never thought about the air ride. Is it that much better? How reliable is it and does it break down?

lb

I thought about it, but I rarely use cruise control even when I'm driving my truck. It disconnects me from the ride and makes me feel like I'm a passenger rather than a driver if that makes sense. Maybe if I find myself on super long cruises later on. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm also thinking about eventually upgraded to a hydraulic clutch, but I like the feel of the clutch now and don't know if its better or not to go hydraulic. Its hard to know how these things will 'feel' unless you try someone elses, you know? I remember trying out an automatic transmission motorcycle before I bought my M50 and realized right away that I hated it! Felt weird, like I had less control of the bike.

Man clock watching until my bike is ready is soooo painful....

I thought about it, but I rarely use cruise control even when I'm driving my truck. It disconnects me from the ride and makes me feel like I'm a passenger rather than a driver if that makes sense. Maybe if I find myself on super long cruises later on. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm also thinking about eventually upgraded to a hydraulic clutch, but I like the feel of the clutch now and don't know if its better or not to go hydraulic. Its hard to know how these things will 'feel' unless you try someone elses, you know? I remember trying out an automatic transmission motorcycle before I bought my M50 and realized right away that I hated it! Felt weird, like I had less control of the bike.

Man clock watching until my bike is ready is soooo painful....
    You really need to come to the Mid Atlantic Meet! You would have the opportunity to see, feel, hear, etc almost every mod available for the 9 all in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    You really need to come to the Mid Atlantic Meet! You would have the opportunity to see, feel, hear, etc almost every mod available for the 9 all in one place.
    Cool. When and where?

Quote Originally Posted by Champ1 View Post
    Congratulations and way to hit the ground running with the mods, but take it from experience you won't stop there. Lol. Once the mods bug bites there is no known cure. I do agree if your getting new wheels I'd get wider ones so if you decide to go fatter with the rubber it will save a lot of money later. Remember to post pictures.

I think what Champ was saying here was to buy the wider rim now and put a 240 on it. Then if you want a wider tire later you can put it on the wider rim. The Dunlop Elite III in a 250/40R18 is a nice first step, you are going to have to get used to whatever tire you put on, and it is wider than stock. I run one on my 9 and like the look of it. As far as noticing a difference when riding between the 240 and the 250 for me there was none. I'm not saying there isn't a difference I just never paid attention to it after the tire change. I guess that's 4 cents now.

R.
    H.C. Velocity Pro, Cobra Engine Guards, ISO Blk Grips, National Cycle VStream Tour, Kuryakyn Switchblade Pegs, G/M TRE, .....

Cool. When and where?
    Staunton, VA June 19 - 25, 2017.

There re is a link to the official thread in my signature below.

Maybe you should wait on the wheels and get used to the stock tire width. Then you can decide on what wheels and tires you want. Wheels aren't cheap. Also, the Brakeaway isn't just about cruising. It also offers an opportunity for you to release your right hand and give it a break.

When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Staunton, VA June 19 - 25, 2017.

There re is a link to the official thread in my signature below.
    Where is that link?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman349 View Post

I think what Champ was saying here was to buy the wider rim now and put a 240 on it. Then if you want a wider tire later you can put it on the wider rim. The Dunlop Elite III in a 250/40R18 is a nice first step, you are going to have to get used to whatever tire you put on, and it is wider than stock. I run one on my 9 and like the look of it. As far as noticing a difference when riding between the 240 and the 250 for me there was none. I'm not saying there isn't a difference I just never paid attention to it after the tire change. I guess that's 4 cents now.

R.
    I appreciate the advice. I looked up the rim and I think it gives me the leeway to go up to a 260 if I want to. It probably won't be until I wear out my 1st set of 240 tires though, just to start with stock sizes, learn the bike, and then learn more from there. I can't imagine myself getting larger than 260 for the forseeable future... of course never say never.

bjb

So my 9 came in yesterday! Got it home on the trailer and of course it starts to rain! Today took it out for the first time and its a beast.

I'm still in the break in period and decided to be really strict and not push its limits until after the 500 mile mark. For now, its just smooth and easy riding without too much throttle, but wow, can't wait to get past that and see what this baby can do!

Pictures when the sun is back in the sky.

lb

Are you serious?? Not giving her the full open throttle at least
    for a minute??..I could not resist, even it was raining!!.. LOL!!!
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

So my 9 came in yesterday! Got it home on the trailer and of course it starts to rain! Today took it out for the first time and its a beast.

I'm still in the break in period and decided to be really strict and not push its limits until after the 500 mile mark. For now, its just smooth and easy riding without too much throttle, but wow, can't wait to get past that and see what this baby can do!

Pictures when the sun is back in the sky.

lb
    Woo-hoo, congrats! Looking forward to some pictures, rain is okay! Lol very exciting, saver the moment my friend, before you know it you'll be ripping up that black top and drinking gas like a fish! Lol

Very Active Member

Congrats man, take it easy on the new bike until you get use to it. I would definitely hold off on the aftermarket rims as well. I would recommend the larger 10" rim and 280mm rear tire, it looks killer on and I still hit the Twisties hard.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Maybe you should wait on the wheels and get used to the stock tire width. Then you can decide on what wheels and tires you want. Wheels aren't cheap. Also, the Brakeaway isn't just about cruising. It also offers an opportunity for you to release your right hand and give it a break.
    So I just installed my breakaway throttle lock and your right. Its great! Thanks for the advice.

Almost at the 500 mile mark... and I cheated and really blasted the throttle for the first time. Wow, I've never gone airborne in the seat before! Its going to be full throttle at every stop light for a while..

Now that I see more how the bike fits me, I'm investing in some risers right away. 4inch risers would be best from what I've measured. I'm 5'10", but I put on a back rest and would like, on long hauls, to be able to lean back without too much reach. I'm planning on a lot of road trips in the spring. I think I'm going to go ahead and upgrade to a 260mm tire as well. Probably the Avon Cobras, as I like the look. I'll just sell the original tires. Still undecided on the rims. Its a Matte Gray BOSS, but I'm still drawn to some chrome in the rims, but don't know how well it'll mesh. Decisions, decision.

Pictures soon... just keep forgetting about it and jumping into the ride!

lb

Sounds like your in love! Lol enjoy my friend and stay alive as well!

Default upgrade to a 260mm tire as well. Probably the Avon Cobras

Does Avon Cobra come in 260mm now?

Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post
    Does Avon Cobra come in 260mm now?
    Oh, I mean 250 for the Avons