Our bikes aren't worth anything. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Our bikes aren't worth anything.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
    Thanks for the blow up! Yep, lots of good pics and a great time!

I understand the Vic is a different bike, built for a different kind of ride and comfort.....but will be interesting to see how it turns out. I remember Harris saying how happy he was with his.....and I think I even heard him say the word supercharger!
    Trying to plant a seed I see.

Already researched it. Hahaha. I doubt I'll go that far with it, but stranger things have happened! Right now, it is just cams, intake, exhaust, and PCV with a dyno tune.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by stap6017 View Post
    When I look at HD compared to other bikes and the M109R, the other bikes are better quality mechanically. HD does a great job with finish and paint etc. What HD does is they sell a lifestyle that is highly branded. Compare the dealerships. The HD dealership here in the Spokane area has a rider's lounge. You can get local area ride maps and they host rides and offer live entertainment (bands). They create an environment where you socialize with other HD riders. I ride with guys who ride all kinds of bikes and my HD buds will admit after riding my 9 that it is the better bike. HD is entrenched in the USA culture. Cops, ride em, they have been to war, they are on T.V. (SOA) and in the movies. After watching the miniseries Harley and the Davidson's I learned a lot about their history and I was impressed. I think Victory and Indian as American bikes are making inroads but will never surpass HD. Suzuki just sells motorcycles not a lifestyle. They don't invest in making loyal customers to the brand like HD. Most of the M109R clothing and stuff comes from individuals not Suzuki. They need to create brand loyalty. There really is none when compared to HD. We are proof of that we are all diehard M109R riders we are not loyal to Suzuki. When the 9 is long gone most of us will move to another brand where HD owners will remain.

Stap6017
    That was extremely well stated Stap, and I agree 100% with everything you had to say. At the end of the day, there's no other assembly line production bike that meets the performance, feel and looks of the 9, all in one bike. I've been blessed with some high end, top of the line bikes (at those particular times) throughout my years of riding. However, an M109R or two is the bike I hope/plan to ALWAYS have in my stable. Regardless of resale value, my 9s are the best all around, pound for pound, dollar for dollar bikes I have ever owned.

Just because I want my wife to be able to sit in total comfort without squeezing the breath out of me, I've been debating and researching which full bagger cruiser I'm going to buy. I know for sure it won't be a Harley. I've had too many people I know with Harleys who've had nothing but a bunch of mechanical problems out of them. After listening to all of their complaints, and knowing how often their bikes are in the shop, I wouldn't dare waste my money on one of them. My neighbor has one, and when I rode his not too long ago, I couldn't wait to get off of it, because it shook so violently. Although I didn't tell him, I thought it was terrible. I'll probably end up going with a full bagger Victory XC or CC, or a Kawasaki Vaquero (if I can be assured that I will be able to find all of the top performance mods for it).
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 10-22-2016 at 05:34 AM.

The new 107 pulls well, my neighbor just got a Street Glide with the Screaming Eagle upgrades. I've gone on a few rides with him, me on my '06 Stratoliner S, and a few times on my VMAX.

Orange '08 M109R Sold
    '13 Yamaha VMAX
    '06 Yamaha Stratoliner "S"
    "Drink The Wind!"

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Trying to plant a seed I see.

Already researched it. Hahaha. I doubt I'll go that far with it, but stranger things have happened! Right now, it is just cams, intake, exhaust, and PCV with a dyno tune.
    Well......that sounds like a good start......Dayum!

BOTM - January 2016
    2011 M109R LE....Not quite stock!
    I'm only GRUMPY when I'm not riding 1SICK9!

Very Active Member SouthernFattie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    My neighbor has one, and when I rode his not too long ago, I couldn't wait to get off of it, because it shook so violently.
    Here's what you experienced. The thing 99% of HD owners say has NEVER happened to ANY HD motorcycle.
    You, sir, I consider to be very, VERY lucky.

Welcome to the Harley Death Wobble.

A close friend of mine had it on his '07 Night Train and on his '12 Road Glide.
    He bought the frame kit to strengthen it, it helped, but he said he still felt it.
    He did some custom work, put massive forks on the bike (54mm to be exact)
    and neither bike wobbles. No shakes, nothing. He tried to speak out on the HD
    forum about it in 2014, but was banned within 4 hours of starting the thread.
    I have no idea why, I dont visit the site, never was a member, and I never
    asked him what reason they gave him. I just told him "You bought into that
    lifestyle, enjoy it brother".
    Custom Z-Bars. Chromed Holey Grips. Scythe Knock Off Mirrors. Bullet Turn Signals. GMan ATRE. Cobra PowrPro (thanks Laurex). McNEMO Custom Rat Rod Exhaust. Custom Polished & Painted Stock Wheels. Smoked & Integrated Sequential LED Tail Light. Stealth LED signals under rear fender. De-beavered with plate mount. Edelbrock ProFlow Intakes. Plasti-dipped Speedo Housing, Chrome Rear Fender Rails, Tach Box and Chrome on Headlight Cowl.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernFattie View Post
    Here's what you experienced. The thing 99% of HD owners say has NEVER happened to ANY HD motorcycle.
    You, sir, I consider to be very, VERY lucky.

Welcome to the Harley Death Wobble.

A close friend of mine had it on his '07 Night Train and on his '12 Road Glide.
    He bought the frame kit to strengthen it, it helped, but he said he still felt it.
    He did some custom work, put massive forks on the bike (54mm to be exact)
    and neither bike wobbles. No shakes, nothing. He tried to speak out on the HD
    forum about it in 2014, but was banned within 4 hours of starting the thread.
    I have no idea why, I dont visit the site, never was a member, and I never
    asked him what reason they gave him. I just told him "You bought into that
    lifestyle, enjoy it brother".

In all fairness I believe that you failed to mention that this phenomenon can happen on any bike and even other types of vehicles. Funny how some hear/read a story and quickly want to associate with a brand without any valid proof or professional testing. The fact is that this can and without warning could happen on vehicle with one steering pivot point. Why do you think that on most sports bikes they add a steering stabilizer? Believe me, it's not out of coincidence. The worst thing about the whole ordeal is the fact that there are still enough ignorance out there to believe the urban legend that it is actually a Harley only problem. With as many bikes as Harley Davidson sells a year and has sold thru the years, they would be out of business if they indeed had the numbers of issues that you believe they have. I will place no credance on smear campaign from those who love nothing more that to demean a brand for the benefit of putting theirs above. You know what is a far bigger problem? Our bike's clutch shudder and the transmission issue in which it jumps out of or don't want to go into second gear. Now, I will let you spread that rumor, lol ;-) .

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/on...les-50747.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_wobble
    Last edited by Duende01; 10-17-2016 at 04:49 PM.

-2008 M109R "The Silver Bullet"
    -2013 HD Road King "The Orange Crush"
    -2015 HD Sportster Iron "TBD"

I gotta agree here. I’vebeen on vintage bikes and even a modern twin cruiser. I found my Vulcan 900 lacking in power for itsdisplacement, and being the slowest bike of 6 on a 2k road trip(4 were Harleys and1 was a brand new cbr500r), that was it for me. I’ll admit I lust after power. Andafter seeing the road glide enough on the trip I started liking the dresserstyle bikes. I was going to get a VulcanVaquero, but couldn’t find one in my price range, and after riding one I found Iwas being romanced more by the looks and idea of one, but there was just toomuch stuff on it that I would never use and was told by the guy that sold me my9 that I should look into less bike. Wellwhen I came back for the 9, I feel I got more bike for less money. Would I love to have a dresser bike? Yes! However,I think what I will do is get a 2nd 9, and dress it out the way thatI want. I might even try glassing my ownfairing. But at the end of the day, I feelI got my moneys worth, and know that no matter what, I will never get out what Iput into the bike. and after looking at power specs, I definitely feel like I came out on top
    Current Rigs:
    2007 Chevy Sliverado 1500 xcab z71- "Inmate the 2nd"
    2006 Suzuki M109R (dark blue)- "Caboose"

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
    Well......that sounds like a good start......Dayum!
    That should put it in the 115-120HP and 115-120TQ range at the wheel.

Very Active Member purvistechie's Avatar

That "death wobble" happened to someone here on a new Victory Cross Country Tour. He ended up wrecking. I can't remember who it was, speak up if you remember. It was a pretty active member.

OLD - RED 07 loaded, NEW - 2015 StreetGlide Special Black Denim Dropped Bags, CVO Rear Fender, Passenger Boards, Chop Tour Pack, Driver Back Rest, Stage 3 BOOM! Audio, Full Sac Headers, Tuner, Exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by purvistechie View Post
    That "death wobble" happened to someone here on a new Victory Cross Country Tour. He ended up wrecking. I can't remember who it was, speak up if you remember. It was a pretty active member.
    That was Sayonara
    Last edited by some 9; 10-18-2016 at 10:13 AM.
    Mods:New Motor Upgrade/Genesis Rims Mez 280/160 Tires/ 300 Swing Arm/Cobra Swepts/Chrome Spike Filters/Yani Shiki 2" Riser/All Braided Cables/Chromed Entire Handle Bars/Kuryakyn Iso Grips-Iso Boss/S9 Led Kit/Raw Design Led Front/Rear Signals/Corbin Seat/Air Ride/Low And Mean Busa Kit-Front Fender/Gothic Side License Plate/HID Head Light/Heal Tech TRE/Chrome Calipers/Cycle House Down Under Kit.

Quote Originally Posted by some 9 View Post
    That was Sayonara

There you go, "Urban Legend" debunked, jajaja ;-) . In all seriousness, hate to ever see anyone going thru that but it can actually happen on any motorcycle and while not always fatal, it can definitely be. The funny thing is that you go to youtube and there are thousands of videos of other bikes going thru the wobble (tank slappers) but yet somehow someone always finds the one depicting a Harley to try and prove a point--which point I don't but I sense the hate, lol ;-) .

Quote Originally Posted by Duende01 View Post
    There you go, "Urban Legend" debunked, jajaja ;-) . In all seriousness, hate to ever see anyone going thru that but it can actually happen on any motorcycle and while not always fatal, it can definitely be. The funny thing is that you go to youtube and there are thousands of videos of other bikes going thru the wobble (tank slappers) but yet somehow someone always finds the one depicting a Harley to try and prove a point--which point I don't but I sense the hate, lol ;-) .

It's hard to get some of the people here past their dislike (sometimes pure hate) for Harley. I can and do like both metric and US bikes so I end up straightening out people on both sides. "Death Wobble" is NOT purely a Harley thing, as much as some here would LOVE to believe that it is!

Thanks some9 for pointing out who it was on the Vic. I'm sure that sayonara may dispute this being "Harley" problem.

OLD - RED 07 loaded, NEW - 2015 StreetGlide Special Black Denim Dropped Bags, CVO Rear Fender, Passenger Boards, Chop Tour Pack, Driver Back Rest, Stage 3 BOOM! Audio, Full Sac Headers, Tuner, Exhaust.

Very Active Member SouthernFattie's Avatar

I dont necessarily HATE...I do want a Breakout, with 130hp, 130 ft lb tq, with a tachometer, for under $14,000, New.
    I hate their Hype and Price. I could care less about the 'Automatic Brotherhood' they sell. I rather ride with open minds.
    One bike I want to build will have a Buell engine on it. But thats not important...

Just got off the phone with my bud back in La. I asked about the wobble issue and asked if it came back since I left La.
    He said it has, but it was not as bad as before, and he's got it totally fixed now. I asked him what was the issue and he
    said its the frame flexing.

He mentioned his dad had it on his Vaquero, but was quickly cured with new tires. I asked which bike of his needed the
    frame reinforced and he said it was only on the Glide. Said the Train never had it again after he beefed up the forks and
    the tires. He said "If you know anyone with a Glide, tell them to start with the lower frame brace, it may be enough, but
    if they ride hard, it needs an upper reinforcement too. I aint found a kit, so I welded gussets where it looked like it could
    flex, and it works."

I've seen wobbles on rockets, MOST of what I saw was during a braking situation, some people call it "tank slaps". Was
    a nice and spooky, even for me, situation when you see someone going lock to lock on the handle bars while moving.
    In that situation, there's plenty of dampers out there for that, but it's still possible to happen, even WITH the dampers.

Rookie riders, all weight on front of rocket stopping hard, bad tires, bad road condition, all add up to a wobble situation.
    NOTHING like when the frame flexes.

I've felt wobble on the sporty we had. Happened above 65. My thoughts, 130 rear.
    Shouldnt be that damn narrow. When we talked to a guy at the dealership he said "Aw, well your spokes aint true".
    Well...maybe not. But we had mags. Got rid of her at 34XX miles. If those spokes were bent, it was a defect. You'd feel
    at almost any speed. Not just around and above 65.

Since there are tons of people who may think "oh hes pointing fingers because he's just a hater" or "making up a lie" or
    "spreading the urban legend"... lmao, you're killin me...
    http://www.true-track.com/
    http://bitchinbaggers.com/products/bagger-brace/

Legends dont need help spreading. They do it themselves.
    Last edited by SouthernFattie; 10-18-2016 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Just because...
    Custom Z-Bars. Chromed Holey Grips. Scythe Knock Off Mirrors. Bullet Turn Signals. GMan ATRE. Cobra PowrPro (thanks Laurex). McNEMO Custom Rat Rod Exhaust. Custom Polished & Painted Stock Wheels. Smoked & Integrated Sequential LED Tail Light. Stealth LED signals under rear fender. De-beavered with plate mount. Edelbrock ProFlow Intakes. Plasti-dipped Speedo Housing, Chrome Rear Fender Rails, Tach Box and Chrome on Headlight Cowl.

Harley's only hold their value because they never leave the garage, and when they do it's down to a cafe!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Chaser View Post
    Harley's only hold their value because they never leave the garage, and when they do it's down to a cafe!

NO DOUBT. Damn Harley rider posers. I got my 9 in the Spring of 2007, I sold it April of 2015 with 23,000 miles on it. So 8 riding seasons and 23,000 miles (avg 2875/yr). I got my 2015 Street Glide Special in April of 2015 and now I have about 18,500 miles on it, so two riding seasons and 18,500 miles (9250/yr)......I must be going to a LOT of cafes! Not bad for abbreviated riding seasons that we have in Minnesota.

Any rider on any bike can cafe hoper, I proved that.

NO DOUBT. Damn Harley rider posers. I got my 9 in the Spring of 2007, I sold it April of 2015 with 23,000 miles on it. So 8 riding seasons and 23,000 miles (avg 2875/yr). I got my 2015 Street Glide Special in April of 2015 and now I have about 18,500 miles on it, so two riding seasons and 18,500 miles (9250/yr)......I must be going to a LOT of cafes! Not bad for abbreviated riding seasons that we have in Minnesota.

I am basically on your same boat as my 2 year old Road King is nearing the amount of miles I have put on my M109R in over six years and I spent close to a year deployed, so in essence the Harley only has one riding season, lol.

I got the 9 on the 30th of June 2015 and have nearly 36 000km on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by BKojac View Post
    Only bikes that hold value are Harley's.

I wouldn't say that. I sold my V-Max in '98 for $1000 more than I paid for it, and all I did was ride it for 2 years. I sold my 9 last September for $7K. I only paid $7500 for it, rode it for 6 years, and spent about $5K in mods. It ended up costing me about $5500 to own and ride the bike for 6 years. I don't think that's too bad at all...if anything, Harleys depreciate more...try riding a $50K Harley off the lot, and then try to sell it...it's going to be a HUGE loss!
    Last edited by Grampy; 10-25-2016 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampy View Post
    I wouldn't say that. I sold my V-Max in '98 for $1000 more than I paid for it, and all I did was ride it for 2 years. I sold my 9 last September for $7K. I only paid $7500 for it, rode it for 6 years, and spent about $5K in mods. It ended up costing me about $5500 to own and ride the bike for 6 years. I don't think that's too bad at all...
    Things can happen, supply vs demand and whatnot but for the most part I don't see many making or retaining money spent on Asian bikes.

I couldn't care less though, I got my 9 to run it till the wheels fall of anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SKIDMARK View Post
    I hear ya. I hope there is no Next Years Model. As you say, it will help drive the price up. I have always worn my bikes out. Usually 100,000 ks they give up or so, some lasted but my point is, at that mileage i feel i got my monies worth and i pass them on for Nicks, ( Not Much).
    I don't know about that. There have been plenty of discontinued big cubic inch cruisers and their value didn't seem to go up. Kawasaki V2K, Honda VTX, Yamaha Road Warrior, all have been discontinued, and all can be had for a song and dance...

I got the 9 on the 30th of June 2015 and have nearly 36 000km on the clock.

That's awesome! Two up or solo?

Most of my miles (7/ now are two up, touring. One of the reasons for change to a touring bagger. For me, it was the right move, evident in the change in MPY (Miles Per Year).

No just me, mainly weekend rides and the odd distance trip.

No just me, mainly weekend rides and the odd distance trip.

That's cool. That's exactly what I use to do. Ride w/my buddies a few nights a week around town, then a longer ride on the weekends. When I first started riding again in 2007, my wife was iffy about the whole thing but ended up falling in love with riding and the great people that we met. Now, she's not happy if I leave without her! It's almost always two up, the bagger we have now is perfect for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman7 View Post
    So I've been checking out other bikes and thought I'd see what a trade is worth. It felt like I was kicked in the balls. I've been looking at the resale value of other customized bikes, many of them tend to hold their value. Even a custom Vrod will sell for more than a custom M109 evem if the 9 is a later model year. There's 2008 on Cycle Trader for 25K and a guy like Shooter can't get 9K for his 2011 or 2013 (I can't remember what year he has)

It just kind of sucks but it is what it is. I didn't want to have 2 bikes with one sitting but it's looking like if I want the Vic XC it won't be with me trading my 9 for it. So I'll have a bike sitting.

I was wondering what everyone else is thoughts were on that subject of the resale value of our bikes.
    You're right, I have $25K into mine and tried getting $12K for it and some guy offered me $7K, I turned him down. Good thing I did because I want to keep it now (and can afford to).

https://flic.kr/s/aHskEAfdZi

Quote Originally Posted by Rad-M109R View Post
    You're right, I have $25K into mine and tried getting $12K for it and some guy offered me $7K, I turned him down. Good thing I did because I want to keep it now (and can afford to).

Great looking bike and hilarious name!

I'm going to keep mine and make a few changes but I am going to add to the stable. I'm hopeful my wife will decide to ride her own that will make keeping the 9 worth it.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

Nice looking bike. Where did you spend your money if you don't mind me asking?

Nice looking bike. Where did you spend your money if you don't mind me asking?
    All over. Some veteran members of this forum will remember me. I am one of the co-founders of cruisercustomizing.com and used to be on this forum a lot until I got the boot by Lamonster. Hal and DLP were one of our biggest competitors, they didn't like it when I told people about their shady business practices. Oh well, I'm back! I was known as CherryFire or BlackCherry back then.

So to answer your question, I of course spent a lot with CruiserCustomizing, heck I even spent some money with Hal (my rear wheel for instance). A guy on this forum did the paint job. I wonder if he still hangs out here? He would paint his 2nd M109R then post pictures here, if you liked what you saw you would send him your stock painted parts and some cash and he'd send you his painted parts. That's where I got mine. My bike was in the 2008 Calendar (August).

Anyway, I came back to this forum to see if there was a fix for the clutch shudder problem. I found my answers and got the parts and will do the mods sometime soon.

I'm glad to be back!

Quote Originally Posted by Duende01 View Post
    but having two Harley's, I can see the difference in the quality of the paint, chrome, handling, and ride comfort.
    Yeah, the 109 is vastly superior in all those areas, isn't it?

That paint is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    I'll probably end up going with a full bagger Victory XC or CC, or a Kawasaki Vaquero (if I can be assured that I will be able to find all of the top performance mods for it).
    My friend user to have an M109R and now has a Vaquero. He loves it! It's a really beautiful bike!