M109 Rider Forums banner

Brake upgrades?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Bossmav 
#1 ·
Hi All
yet another question from me accross the pond.
i find the brakes on my c seem to be a little under powered, i dont think theres anything wrong with them i just think its me and the fack iv come from a Blackbird to the c.
is there anything that can be done to up the performance of them?
iv asked a few ebay sellers about the braded brake lines but non of them seam to do them for the c :(

#2 ·
As far as the brake lines go , there should be someone that makes them to order in length as long as you know.that along with the fitting size . off hand i dont recall seing a pre made set for the bike . as far as an upgraded rotor or pads , this is where i get a bit confused becuse some supliers list the same part for the m as fitting the c and i have heard from.some people that neither the or the rear brakes are the same . I have never checked deply into this.myself its just what I have heard . I have no doubt that going from the smaller much lighter bike that this thing feels like the brakes lack . IMHO the brak3s are real good for a bike of this size and weight .

#3 ·
heh, I dunno if I want "better" brakes... I've tried to threshold brake and locked the rear quite easily... 'nother time I panic braked and grabbed a good handful of front brake... locked the front tire managed to slow down enough to no hit the deer... released front brake, came to a stop, went back and measured.. I left a 17ft blackie with the front tire :p

#4 ·
EBC doucle HH

1. make sure no air in front or rear brake lines. Bleed if in doubt (spongy feel), or even flush with new DOT-4 fluid.

2. For me, switching to EBC double-HH pads in front has improved brake performance (and helped keep the bike clean as a bonus). Still with stock pads on rear (61,000 km)

3. For me, I can really press hard on the brakes, and they do not lock (I guess heavy bike and wide tires help with traction...). When I say hard, I mean much harder than past bikes, or that my wife's Victory. When I got the C109, I practised emergency braking at 80km/h in parking lots, and I was eventually very satisfied, although on the first few tries, I felt it was not braking well, but once I calibrated myself, it was great.

4. If ever you have a tendency to lock wheels with stock tires, it would likely get better with better traction tires like the Metz.

That said, you are stopping a 900-lbs bike... I think the fact that the rear brake pedal is linked to 1/3 of the front brake helps, but it is still a few hundred pounds more than most bikes...

#5 ·
1. make sure no air in front or rear brake lines. Bleed if in doubt (spongy feel), or even flush with new DOT-4 fluid.

2. For me, switching to EBC double-HH pads in front has improved brake performance (and helped keep the bike clean as a bonus). Still with stock pads on rear (61,000 km)

3. For me, I can really press hard on the brakes, and they do not lock (I guess heavy bike and wide tires help with traction...). When I say hard, I mean much harder than past bikes, or that my wife's Victory. When I got the C109, I practised emergency braking at 80km/h in parking lots, and I was eventually very satisfied, although on the first few tries, I felt it was not braking well, but once I calibrated myself, it was great.

4. If ever you have a tendency to lock wheels with stock tires, it would likely get better with better traction tires like the Metz.

That said, you are stopping a 900-lbs bike... I think the fact that the rear brake pedal is linked to 1/3 of the front brake helps, but it is still a few hundred pounds more than most bikes...
EBC Double-HH like stated but there is a stainless aftermaket line, if both front rotors and the rear can't stop you in time your following to close! Just my 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.