M109 Rider Forums banner

All at once or one at a time

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  trublupsu94 
#1 ·
I need some advice. I am putting an exhaust, XTRE, ESE, Cobra FI Pro, LED kit (swampworks) all this weekend. Also doing the pair valve mod with a bolt or marble. So would you do each of these one at a time or all at once while it is torn down? Seems like all at once since it would require the tank going on and off over and over. That can't be good. I am not a mechanic but I am mechanicly inclined. I just worry about having an issue and not being able to troubleshoot it.

#5 ·
All at the same time.

When you pull the tank off, be careful not to loose the tank mount bushings. There is one on both sides and they are not fixed. Ask me how I found out:redfaced:. The first time I had my tank off, the one on the right side fell off and stuck in a tiny spot near the foot brake. This last time I had the tank off, I made sure the right side was still there. When I went to put the tank back on, the left side was gone. I searched everywhere on and around the bike with no luck. The bike was down for another week while I waited for a new set. The stealer wants $12 each for that little rubber bushing:eek:. I ordered them from Motosport and stuck them both on with some glue. Now I have one extra just in case. :bigthumbsup:

#6 ·
When you pull the tank off, be careful not to loose the tank mount bushings. There is one on both sides and they are not fixed. Ask me how I found out:redfaced:. The first time I had my tank off, the one on the right side fell off and stuck in a tiny spot near the foot brake. This last time I had the tank off, I made sure the right side was still there. When I went to put the tank back on, the left side was gone. I searched everywhere on and around the bike with no luck. The bike was down for another week while I waited for a new set. The stealer wants $12 each for that little rubber bushing:eek:. I ordered them from Motosport and stuck them both on with some glue. Now I have one extra just in case. :bigthumbsup:
Great advise. Should I glue these on while I have it apart? If they are not already glued on, how are they staying in place right now? Just pressure from the tank? And do you have a pic of your spare you can post? I'd like to see what it looks like before I start tearing things down.

#7 ·
Well, all my stuff came in. The LED kit being added is going to make this an interesting tear down. Basically, all body panels (painted stuff) will be removed. Wish me luck!! And stay close by because I may need some help!! LOL.

I have a few things to tie into the battery. What do you guys recommend for a switch? I can ride in TX all year and will have my bike hooked up to a tender if not used for more than a week or two. Do I even need one then?

#9 ·
Bike is done. Gave up in xtre. Piece of junk. Tried troubleshooting and never seemed to work. Will send it back. But exhaust, LEDs, Cobra Pro, ESE. I'll post some pics of lights and exhaust tomorrow. I need to brag on the swamp works guys a little bit. Long day in the heat. Off to bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Done! Got the incredible exhaust installed from Swampworks and Icebox. Holy cow does it sound good. I didn't fully understand when people said you have to hear it for real versus a youtube video. Amen to that. Sounds incredible. I can't decide if I like the looks or the sound more. Either way, it's got both.

The LED kit is in too also from Swampworks. Pics below. Looks like the bike is alive! Really makes the bike stand out at night.

Lastly, I did the Cobra Pro fuel manager, ESE and XTRE from BlueMonkey.

I do have to say that I am glad I bought from Swampworks. I had some questions regarding the exhaust and the Cobra Pro. I got help IMMEDIATELY!! I know I paid more for the Cobra. But when I had a question, these guys were all over it and helped me out. I knew I would have questions and they came through. I can't say enough about the crew at Swampworks. Best customer service I have seen in a long, long time.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

#14 ·
I just took it for a ride with it on. Really does make a difference. I did figure it out, thanks man. I was not reading the direction right. Found the guy who posted a better set of instructions on here. I did not remove the ECM or the bracket enough to see the lower (black) connector. I did the original hook up to the gray. (oops) Spliced the wires back together. This morning found the post on here and went back at it this afternoon. Lesson learned.

I gained a lot of confidence taking the bike apart and putting it back together. Not sure I would ever do engine work other than maintenance. But I can remove the panels and do some light wiring and easier mods.

I think I do want to get the ducks though. Not for performance, but for better looks.

As for the ride, amazing difference. The bike was easier to control, thus it was more predictable in turns. I can corner much more confidence than before.

How's the seat? Still liking it? That's my Christmas present this year. :)

#13 ·
I did all my mods one at a time over a period stretching from when bought in July 2006 until like late 2010 when I put on the front fender (the last mod I did, and probably will do). Money ya know. The only two I did concurrently were the exhaust and fuel tuner, since I already had Big Airs installed. Mod bug is long over now, I have a Ford Lightning that has mod priority over any motorcycle. I just ride it now, and very little at that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.