M109 Rider Forums banner

Fuel tank loose

4K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Dragonback 
#1 ·
Hey again all. Just finished putting my 9 back together. Got to the fuel tank. Seems loose. I can grab each side and rock it back and forth. The two rubber bumpers are in on each side near the front. Rear bolt obviously tightened well. Are these the only things holding this tank in place? According to the service manual it is. Did I forget something or is this normal?
thx

#2 ·
Granted you shouldn't be able to rock it back and forth you are correct, only one bolt holds the tank in place.

#3 ·
Mine has some play in it and moves slightly also. As long as you have the rubber pucks on both sides and the bolt in the back is tight you are good to go.

#6 ·
Mine was loose at the back too when I bought the bike. Pulled seat and discovered missing bolt at rear of tank. Bought another bolt and the noise settled down a lot. Later when working another issue, I found the original bolt the previous owner lost. He dropped the bolt and it fell into the pocket and was laying against the ECU. Now I leave my key in while riding. It makes a lot of noise too. Have often wondered if I should pocket the key while riding.

#12 ·
lol I agree that those pucks can become a real PITA if you've had your tank off and on as many times as I have. One usually manages to stay in place but the other one is ALWAYS falling off and rolling somewhere!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.