M109 Rider Forums banner

Clutch shudder or ???

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Canuk 
#1 ·
My first post...I might get flamed for this, but I am not sure this is the infamous clutch shudder issue.

I have an 07 M109R and had the upgraded clutch pressure springs replaced about a month ago since I was getting a vibration thru the bike when I accelerate from 60 to 80. The upgraded pressure springs did little to resolve. Still shutters, just not as bad. Anyway I have yet another issue and want to know if any of you experience this.... after I cruise for a bit I come to a light, stop, and shift down to 1st and when I let the clutch out a little the whole bike lunges like its all or nothing clutch engagement..nothing gradual as you let it out slowly just BAM and it makes a funny noise....Then sometimes it doesnt do it. Anyone experience this or is this?

Tim

#2 ·
You actually have the dreaded clutch shudder, and the common vibration at certain RPM's.
Both are fixable.
Replace the wave washer and plate next to it. That will fix the shudder out of first.
Replace the clutch basket, and that will fix most of your engine vibration you describe around 60-80.
Hope that helps.

#4 ·
Welcome aboard!

Do a search for the "clutch pin mod". I think it will help prevent having this problem again in the future after you get it fixed. Just don't use the search box at the top right side of the page. Scroll down to the very bottom of any page and you will find a custom google search box that will only search on this forum. It works really well. I cant even begin to tell you how much time I've waisted trying to use the one at the top of the page! :edit:

Oh, and by the way, it would probably be best if you post your questions in a different section of the forum. Maybe Shop talk. This section is for tech support on the forum when your having problems with the site.

#7 ·
I agree with this possibility as well. :-\

#10 ·
Congrats on your first case of clutch shudder! I was another recent member of the club! But I performed the clutch pin mod and now I'm not only a member, I'm the president!
J/K. Seriously though, do the pin mod and maybe replace the wave washer while you're in there (I only did the pin…) and you'll be good to go. Don't be intimidated by the pin mod, it's actually really easy to perform. Just be careful when removing the clutch cover, as there is a gasket on the back of it and you don't want it to tear. Good luck!

#14 ·
As far as your 60-80mph vibration, it actually a vibration around 3500 rpms not mph. The cause are the springs on the clutch hub that have tabs. Those tabs loosen up over time and the springs will rattle. They act similar to a harmonic balancer. The first fix you can try is when you pull the full clutch apart, you can tap those tabs down close to the springs. This is known as the "bluey fix" and should fix it for a while. If you don't want to go that route, you can purchase a new hub. I have done both. My bluey fix held for a while but came back. I then bought another hub and it has been very smooth for the last 40k miles.

#15 ·
Thunder m109r. I have a question about my m109r. I can be riding and get onto a hill and give it more throttle and the bike shakes all over, but when I let upon the throttle a little the vibration goes away. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong.

#16 ·
You're in too high of a gear for the amount of load you're putting on the engine during the incline; down shift and see if that helps. :bigthumbsup:

#17 ·
I'm running at around 2800 to 3000 rpm. In 5th. The speed limit is 65 and I'm running 65 but when I give it better than 3/4 throttle, I still get the bad vibration, till I get out of it. I don't think I'm needing to down shift to 4th at 65

#18 ·
How many miles to you have on your bike? My next thought would be that the engine is starving for fuel...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.