M109 Rider Forums banner

Sena SMH10R

8K views 40 replies 9 participants last post by  Poseidon 
#1 ·
This looks like the helmet system I want to use. I know the 20 is out but it looks to be a little issue laden right now with firmware. And I would only be using my iPhone for everything. Music, GPS, calls, etc. Would you agree that the 20 would be overkill?

Also, does anyone have a comparison on the audio quality? I don't need Bose quality sound. But would like something that doesn't sound like a 1980's transistor radio either. The SMH10R reviews are very confusing as some say they sound great and others complain about the bass. Looking for anyone here who has heard both.

Thanks all!

#4 ·
Could even here them with my pipes, so I brought the adapter for ear puds and now I don't hear my exhaust anymore. Just pure music.

#8 ·
I've never used the SMH10, but I have the 20S (Dual pack) that my wife and I use. Intercom, phone, GPS, Siri, built in voice command, etc all work great. Sound quality for the above is excellent, absolutely no wind noise. Everyone that I've spoke to on the phone while riding had no idea I was on my bike. My wife said it is night and day better than the bluetooth in my car or truck. I have had no problems with firmware. I guess since I haven't had an issue, I didn't go looking around on the forums to see what problems others were having. So, I'm not sure about all of that. I've had mine for about a month or so now. I got one of the first ones I think.

Now, if you are mainly wanting one so you can listen to tunes, I think you are going to be disappointed. Does it sound like your holding a phone to your ear listening to hold music or a ring back? Absolutely not! It is much better than that. The 20S has pretty good mids and highs, but it is definitely lacking base. I would say if your primary purpose for it is to have some tunes on your rides, get some ear buds. You will be much happier and will save a few $$$. If you truly need or want a com system that will play some tunes too, you will probably be happy with it.

I will say that the range, sound layering, and number of links to other com units is impressive. It is also nice having the app on the iPhone finally to manage all the settings and options. I've actually used Siri more since I got the 20S then the entire time I've had her on my iPhone combined.

#10 ·
I've never used the SMH10, but I have the 20S (Dual pack) that my wife and I use. Intercom, phone, GPS, Siri, built in voice command, etc all work great. Sound quality for the above is excellent, absolutely no wind noise. Everyone that I've spoke to on the phone while riding had no idea I was on my bike. My wife said it is night and day better than the bluetooth in my car or truck. I have had no problems with firmware. I guess since I haven't had an issue, I didn't go looking around on the forums to see what problems others were having. So, I'm not sure about all of that. I've had mine for about a month or so now. I got one of the first ones I think.

Now, if you are mainly wanting one so you can listen to tunes, I think you are going to be disappointed. Does it sound like your holding a phone to your ear listening to hold music or a ring back? Absolutely not! It is much better than that. The 20S has pretty good mids and highs, but it is definitely lacking base. I would say if your primary purpose for it is to have some tunes on your rides, get some ear buds. You will be much happier and will save a few $$$. If you truly need or want a com system that will play some tunes too, you will probably be happy with it.

I will say that the range, sound layering, and number of links to other com units is impressive. It is also nice having the app on the iPhone finally to manage all the settings and options. I've actually used Siri more since I got the 20S then the entire time I've had her on my iPhone combined.
My main use is to get phone calls and to listen to music. I could run ear bud cables. But I plan on mounting my phone to the lifeproof handlebar adapter in the center of my handlebars. Didn't want any wires between me and the phone. Clean install. I don't need super high fidelity. But I would like decent sound. Looks like some said the sounds is actually better by wearing foam ear plugs and then turning the unit up a bit.

My helmet is the RF1200 from Shoei and it is really small from a helmet perspective. So I may just go with the 10R for my 9r. :-* If I really feel the need to get better sound, I can try buds. But I really want a clean look to the helmet and the phone without a bunch of cables. I think this might be my only option.

#12 ·
Yep, but you don't need the extra cable like I would for the SMH10R's. To plug in ear buds on the 10R's, you have to buy a cable that essentially plugs in place of the speakers to the main unit on the helmet. Then you have that cable and the buds cable to hide. So while it helps me disconnect from the phone, I am worried about all those wires hanging around.. or do I have this wrong?

The 20's look to be really straight forward for buds and when they are plugged in, it looks like it kills the speakers. So looks much easier.

http://www.sena.com/product/accessories/earbud-adapter-cable/

#14 ·
Man this is going to be a tough choice!!!:-\

I like the low profile of the 10R's. The interface doesn't bother me much as I will use Siri for most phone calls and listening to music or podcasts. But the darn speaker quality sounds like it is really bad and I would probably want to use ear buds for better sound. If that's the case, the 20s better. Darn, darn, darn. I like the price of the 10R too. I may just get the 10R and cut the speakers out and solder in some better ones if they aren't any good. Anyone do that to theirs? Just a little bass....then it would be perfect.

#15 ·
Yes, the bass response is pretty poor & almost non-existent when the motor is running; sometimes I even battle to figure out what song is playing as it sound sooo different without bass.....
that said, I tried new speakers - bigger ones too - and altho' they were better, still not good enough imo.
So right now I've pulled out all the stops and am installing an active noise cancellation headphone set - I tested it beforehand (loose) and it was great. Now I'm in the process of gutting, grinding, etc to get it to fit in my helmet.

As an aside, apparently Sena have a new unit coming soon - with "improved bass response"??

#16 ·
Check out UCLEAR just bought this at beginning of season works awesome and no boom have had no issues with mine.I did have to move speaker in helmet to get better sound but that is all now cant listen to music at full volume even on highway

#17 ·
We have the Sena 10 dual pack and absolutely love them. If you want to listen to music, and share with your wife and still chat, the 20 is the way to go. There are a few other features, but it isn't worth the extra money in my opinion unless you want to share. Ours are crystal clear at 100mph we can easily chat with each other. Battery life is awesome as well.

#22 ·
I have the Sena SMH10 Dual Pack and I love it very much. It works perfectly for communicating with my passenger. Couldn't be happier!! The sound quality is excellent. Yes, there is low bass, but thats because the speakers aren't really pressed against your ears very hard. You can install the optional foam backing that can push it harder towards your ears and it helps. But the sound quality for voice and radio is excellent.

#25 ·
Here are a couple of pictures of the 20S on my RF1200. Last one shows the headphone jack.

View attachment 199890 View attachment 199882 View attachment 199874
You can run the wires better. Pull the cheekpad, and run the wire straight up. You will see a crack in the shell roughly where your wire is. Use a credit card and gently push the wires into that crack and put your cheekpad back in place. I can take a pic if you want. I installed mine and cut my original cheekpad plastic but then had issues with the pad popping out. I saw how giddyup109 had run his and then found new cheekpads for a steal on ebay and just redid it. Have no issues and the wire is out of the way.

#34 ·
What is it, cause that looks kinda different.

#36 ·
Oh low profile unit pretty cool, don't like that the battery is separate, how you like it

#39 ·
#40 ·
Thanks and again, thanks to everyone on here. I love this community we all have. The common love the 9 and just riding in general. I think half of the fun of the motorcycle is the people you get to talk to and ride with that share your passions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.