M109 Rider Forums banner

New Battery!!!

5K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  stormiezzz 
#1 ·
So, yesterday I was gonna take my Black Dragon to work. I get on the bike, turn the key...absolutely NOTHING. It was as if I left the lights and all that turned on.
I put it on my battery charger, enough to charge a car battery in an hour, did NOTHING to this battery. I put it on 50A engine start...bike wouldnt even turn over.

So, I start lookin at the local bike shops. ALL CLOSED ON MONDAY!!! Well...Advanced Auto Parts have 2 batteries for our M109Rs. One was the house brand.
The other....OMFG! While reading, I saw 60% lighter, more power, lasts 5x longer. Well...SUPER nice. Plus, my local store had 1 in stock. While online, I saw there
was a code, P20, to give a 20% discount. So When i left work this morning, i was on my phone at a red light, and bought it, LMAO! I get to the store with my
battery, they checked it and said it's pretty much shot.

So he goes get the new battery. "Man, are you sure this is for a motorcycle?". I tell him yes, he cross-checked to make sure, and it is. He then says
"My baby girl's power wheels battery weighs 10 times more than this!". So, I lean over to pick it up... I put the force into it as if it's like the stocker, and i almost
lost it! I literally threw the battery into the air. ITS LESS THAN ONE POUND!!!! Anyway, Here's some pics!:bigthumbsup:

Here you can see how small it is compared to the stocker

Just trying to show how light it is...I could literally put my hand on the table, and flip it into the air with 1 finger.

I think all batteries should have this. It is so damn handy!

Look how it tucks down in there! It does come with spacers to lift it up. I didnt use them. I cut a block of foam to fit on top of it, easy to remove it for space!

See less See more
#2 ·
SO...!!!! did it work??..is it a worth while buy?.. and price please...sounds great... anything to save weight !

#6 ·
I put that same bat in m o ne a few months ago . so far its been great , no slow starts . it doesnt go dead if i play with the lights or stereo for an.extended time . im hopeful it will last a while , as much as i would like to have the small supper light battery (they are the future of all batteries) they just dont seem to hav3 the full reliability i need yet . maybe they are there now but a year or two back , no .

#9 ·
Odd.
I hope this one serves me well.

#10 ·
It very well may as there aren't many users with them to compare. He may have one that was just not that great from the beginning. We jumped the bike and he said that he restarted it a few times when getting home and it cranked great. Might just not like the led draw as much as the other batteries but may be fine for your every day use.

#11 ·
Lithium batteries are pretty picky about cell voltage. If you drop the cell voltage too low the battery is toast. That's why there is electronics in the battery to control not only discharge but charging. The cells have to be balanced as they charge.

That have a lot of power in a small package but are much more sensitive to charge and discharge than lead/acid.

#33 ·
I could not agree more. Keep that battery as fully charged as possible at all times. These Lithium batteries are really great but they hate being discharged. You only have to fully drain it once and it is lost forever. It is always a good idea to ensure that the battery you are buying has the electronic protection TRod mentions. There are quite a few out there that do not have this feature and that could cost you dearly. Best take care of it properly and it will last a long time.

#12 ·
Yeah, LiPo batteries for RC is tricky as hell. ESPECIALLY when you start running the 3 cells and higher.

#15 ·
Perfectly fine! No issues at all!

#17 ·
I have 53,000 miles on my stock battery and no prob at all. Left the key on for 45 minutes today , headlight on and she started right up. I guess i got lucky with my 07 LE....

#21 ·
Ok if you have this battery you can't run a LED kit on it for 2 1/2 hrs or your battery will be dead very dead

It's the led kit from swampworks with the 18 different colors and remote control. The LED kit is awsome but this lithium battery will get sucked dead.

#22 ·
Lithium batteries don't have a constant draw and not rated like agm batteries. Just took the bike out of storage and the battery was sitting for almost 3 years. Decided to get another battery and when I went to Walmart.

The factory battery cross referenced to a battery they didn't carry. The factory battery is actually an 18 amp where the replacement was 12 amp. Had to go to battery plus to get one. The 18 amp is rated at 320 cca where the 12 amp is 220.

I have lithium batteries in my race bikes and they're great if your starting and riding. Leave the key on for 10 minutes or run the air compressor to pump up my air shifter and run into starting issues.

lithium batteries are not made to handle a constant drain. If you have an alarm system or equipment that constantly draws current then lithium batteries won't hold up. They are nice and light weight though. Put the new battery in and the motor starts great. I also changed out the negative cable for a thicker gauge with the positive and the bike has never turned over this fast.

#23 ·
Laurex, check this out. This is my battery

#29 ·
I have a bunch (40+) of Lipo batteries for my RC aircraft and to be perfectly honest I don't think I would use one on my 9 even with the "Smart" tech circuit.

I find them to be fairly reliable but if a cell goes they can and do catch fire.

The reason "normal" users may find these work for them in they produce great bust amperage but as the member above with the LED kit found out relative low capacity because the individual cells can not be discharged below 3v with possible damage to one or more cells and the charger may not even be able to charge it back up if a cell does drop below 3v. The battery above I believe has 4800Mah but only part of that is on tap maybe 3,300mah.

The other "Issue" is if your Lipo drops to the preset voltage your dead in the water. Yes your battery will likely take a charge and or a jump but a standard battery may still be able to just squeeze out another starter rotation to get you going where the Lipo just won't allow it because of the circuit.

Those of us that have newer cordless drill or other tool with a lipo you know when the battery is low the tool just stops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.