M109 Rider Forums banner

Dunlop E3 250 rear

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  olmanswift 
#1 ·
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Window
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread

See what I found when checking the tire pressure this morning?

In the last few weeks I saw a photo online (maybe on one of the Facebook Suzuki groups) of a 250 Dunlop E3 rear tire with a large chunk out of the center of the tread.
So those of you running newer Dunlop E3's --- Inspect them frequently.

This tire has 829 miles on it. My local Suzuki dealer is replacing it on warranty, now isn't that nice of them? (did you catch my sarcasm)

The service manager finally told me today that Suzuki refused to do anything about the loose rear break rotor. I asked him to press the rivets while he had the wheel off, he refused to do that also. So I told him to call me when he had the rotor off and I would take and press the rivets myself. He is fine with that.

Now that is customer service! (more sarcasm)

See less See more
#4 ·
It was not a straight crack. The crack went all the way to the cord. Dunlop did not hesitate a moment when the dealer called it in, they said replace it. They did not even ask for photos.

I was considering going with two of my riding buddies on a "Bun Burner" run last week. I am very glad I did not. The tire most certainly would have failed running at 85 to 90 mph for 19 plus hours it took to get in the 1050 miles.

The dealer was pretty easy to work with after I got past the service coordinator.

It took me 25 min to take the rotor to an auto shop and crush the rivets. The tech they had assigned to the bike was at lunch while I took the rotor to my friends auto shop to used the bearing press.

#5 ·
As a tire guy, from a photo, it looks to be a defect. A glass cut would be more jagged, and being to the cord, definitely ends the conversation of whether it was usable or not. Tire companies don't usually just say change it, so that makes it suspect also.

#6 ·
I'll be keeping a close eye on my new one.

#9 ·
Man, that did not cross my mind. I will call the dealer in the morning and see if I can get it.

#10 ·
Slow Leak....

I had the same tire put on during the MAM (Thanks again guys)..... I've probably close to 4,000 KMs on it now, but have noticed a slow leak. Ride it for days it seems fine. Let it sit for a few days and it loses pressure.

#11 ·
The dealer refused to provide the DOT numbers. I was told they shipped the tire out on the brown truck the same day it was pulled from the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.