M109 Rider Forums banner

tricky air ride trouble............leak.

11K views 108 replies 31 participants last post by  BobtheMedic 
#1 ·
Has anyone had trouble with the tricky system leaking?

After I air the system up the whole way within 5 minutes it's aired down.

#54 ·
I dont habe a tricky LOL, WETF taht is

I dont have a Ttricky WETF that is, but i do leak air with,

#58 ·
Just as a note, ALL pipe threads must have some teflon tape or thread paste applied to get a leak-free connection. Unless you're dealing with really high quality dryseal compliant threads (which none of these are), there is little hope of getting an air-tight seal without something on the threads. There are many brands to choose from available from any autoparts or hardware store.

#59 ·
Here is today's lineup.
I'm starting with the Slic-tite. Really thick.

Before I started to remove the shock I raised up the air ride to get the jack under. I head a gargle.layer on the floor to look at the shock and I noticed a drop of moisture just under the fitting. Hope that is it. Fingers crossed.

#73 ·
#61 ·
I think I conquered the leak. I have it sitting at 100psi and its holding.
Gonna leave it sit for a couple hours.

The fitting on the shock had no Teflon tape.

#63 ·
So your little blue pill is working:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#64 ·
Just got mine Thursday no leaks yet, but it is much more stiffer of a ride for me, but I'm over 400 pounds and it doesn't matter what pressure I have it set on, it goes up to160ish when I put my weight on it. I love the look of the bike lowered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#67 ·
Just got mine Thursday no leaks yet, but it is much more stiffer of a ride for me, but I'm over 400 pounds and it doesn't matter what pressure I have it set on, it goes up to160ish when I put my weight on it. I love the look of the bike lowered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Have you tried messing with the dampening on the shock? My wife and I ride we are about 350lbs and if I mess with the dampener, it softens up.

#86 · (Edited)
Well I adjusted the valve at the shock. And took off to see if it was a softer ride I got to my first stop light and noticed I was down to 40 psi from 140psi. Reached down hit the pump switch and pump it up a little let off the switch and it started dropping again. Didn't even get pulled over before the 260 tire started rubbing the inner fender. I'm getting a trailer now. I pulled the compressor out while on rhe side of the road. Couldn't find the exact culprit yet.

The brass fitting on the compressor was loose with no Teflon tape. Not the adjustment part but actual threads that screw it into the compressor.

I also noticed that same fitting was constantly leaking I had to screw the adjustment part in to stop leaking from there. But it still does not hold air.

When I hit the relief on the toggle switch nothing comes out of the brass valve and it does not click open.

Maybe it is stuck in an open position. That would make sense. After I figure out more I'll post up what I find.

#87 ·
Well I'm just going to take it to my shop that just installed this kit. The remote stopped working the first day and I was going to take it in for that already. It's all strapped down on my trailer and I got to get to work. But I'll keep you informed

#89 ·
So I took out all the fittings and sealed them up hopefully. 2 brass fittings, 2 silver fittings and where the square relay looking thing is by the solenoid. All of them were a touch above finger tight as once there was a bit of pressure on the wrench they spun right off. There is a sticker on mine saying it was leak tested but I can not confirm that because I did not bench test it first. Installing tomorrow. This thread has two different opinions as to which way to adjust the brass knobs. It came out of the box with the knobs in the down position touching the base of the plug, no gap. Is that soft or hard?

#91 ·
lol after spending almost a grand if you get this. i think i am always happy to see others bikes go up and down but not mine lol. one of my club brother just paid 650$ plus tax as labour oh yea and the part was only 15$ to fix his air ride. way to go lol

oh and not to mention the air ride failed his on ride and he dragged bike for almost 60 km hes got a huge groove in his back tire too.

#92 ·
Ok 3-4 weeks later, the shop said they replaced a fuse and now the system seems to work. It does not make sense to me unless the fuse is connected to the relief valve and holds it shut? Any one know anything about a fuse that goes on the tricky air ride. Or if maybe the fuse was from my bike?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.