M109 Rider Forums banner

Seats

14K views 60 replies 23 participants last post by  Poseidon 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry to be bringing this up.... again! I know there are tons of post here on seats. Trust me, I've read most of them. I think that actually caused more confusion. I'm seeing conflicting info on just about every thread on just about every seat available for our bikes. It makes it difficult to decide what to get without trying them all. That seems foolish, and rather expensive! The stock seat is comfortable for the first hour or two of riding. After that, it kills my tailbone. I could also stand to be seated a little further back on the bike.

Stock seat - some like it, some hate it, and others say you just have to give it 5-10k miles to break in. Personally, I don't think I could wait that long. Any ride over about 2 hours hurts my tailbone.

Gel Seat - Again, some love it and some hate it. I've seen lots of them sold in the classified and either returned to stock or upgraded to a Corbin. But then I've seen a few guys sell their Corbin for a Gel Seat. I realize the full cut is all that is available now. I've read where it adds 1-2 inches of extra leg room, which I could really use. (I have a 34" inseam, 6'2" and 225 pounds. I've already been considering extended forward controls) There are several posts on the gel seat that do not say if they had the standard or full cut. That makes it difficult to know if the issues posted were anything to be concerned about, or if the poster simply ordered the wrong cut. I've have also seen posts that say the gel gets hot. I'm not sure if that was on the OEM gel seat, or one of those gel pads and seat covers. I'm also not crazy about the carbon fiber pattern, but I've only seen pics. Maybe it looks better in person. Are the gel seats still available with the standard cover?

Corbin - Most say they are stiff and have to break in before they are comfortable. I've seen several that have sold theirs (not sure if it was before or after it was broken in) I've also read about fitment issues on the bike. A few people have posted where they have had to return their seats to Corbin to correct problems, but they never say what the problems where. I do like the integrated driver and passenger back rests. I do equal amounts of solo and 2-up riding. I prefer the looks of my 9 without the rear seat, so I frequently swap it back and forth with the cowl. Wife is also wanting a more comfortable rear seat, but more importantly, a back rest! I really don't want to mount a sissy bar to the bike the way the OEM and cobra ones mount. Just one more thing to remove for solo riding.

Ultimate seat - I've only seen a handful of posts on these. The ones that have them seem to like them. I'm not crazy about the seat covers for them tho.

I really like the idea of an extra inch or two of leg room with the gel seat, I'm just concerned about some of the things I've read. I really like the integrated back rests on the Corbin's, but I don't want to be having ongoing issues and have to be returning them to make them right.

Can anyone clear up some of the confusion? Any recommendations based on the info of what I'm looking for in a seat?

Thanks!

See less See more
#57 ·
lET ME GUESS...sTAINLESS STEEL BOLT?? something TO DO WITH DISSIMILAR METALS. aT LEAST IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME....

I swear I am going to rip this cap lock button off the friggin computer. arggggggg

#58 ·
Damn some9

I reply to your post and you delete it LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.