M109 Rider Forums banner

Cluck Cluck BOOM... There goes the motor... Please help!

8K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  geofftl1000r 
#1 ·
Hey everyone.
My name is Slam
and I'm a 9-holic! :D

My story begins with a purchase of 9 mid to late last season.

FI light on and off last last season ONLY after about 100 miles (multiple short runs) and 30 days of owning the 9.
It first came on with a slow crack no start after a 30min ride. Hot engine little to no cool down time then try to start (which seemed to be normal as others here say so, something about starter having larger load on the battery when hot)
So I never thought anything of the FI light because it came and went with the slow crack hot restart issue (I assumed)

TOTAL MILEAGE from last season 200~ miles.

Items ordered over winter.
Battery - Air Spikes (Chinese) - Grips - risers - and other bolt on esthetics.

After the winter....
Took it out twice for a 5 mile run, around March 1 and April 1. Ran fine. FI came once then off.

Then road it to work, then to buddies to replace battery and install spike air in take.
Installed the two with no hitch.
Road home, outdoor temp 49*.
FI light off
Round trip 25~ miles

Took it out yesterday
Temp 85*
Road to work (12 miles), then to buddies house (4 miles), then to other buddies house (4 miles) All Cruising speeds other then one crank up to about 55mph.
On the way to 3rd destination it stalls...
Pull over, try to restart no luck...(hot restart/Starter overload??) So I waited. Notice Fan is running and it ran for about 5 mins straight. I did not turn ignition off. I figured fan maybe fan going nuts, so I remove the key then put it back and turn the ignition on again. Fan turns right back on..
DID I OVERHEAT THIS THING?
At this point we are 6 blocks from destination, so I push it... mostly uphill .... F&*^% sucked!

Waited about 20-30 mins and started it.
Front cylinder Rod bearing or Rod noise. under load (1500-200 rpm) no noise, let go of throttle and the noise comes back.

Oil Level Good (changed oil around 10/13 Lucas 10 w40 mc oil)
Coolant level Good to low.

Please tell me your thoughts and ask any questions.
If I have missed anything I will try to update as much as possible.

Thanks for your time and input!
Cheers

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Don't know your mileage? Did it shut off while riding or stopped? When you tried to start it did it just click or turn over? If you had the FI light come on was it ever trouble shot? My first guess without the the other answers is that you were overheating and the front cylinder was seizing up and that would definatley explain hard cranking and stalling. If I am correct it may just be piston slap in the top end and not a rod as a rod knock does not go away. Hard to tell without seeing it. Try a compression test on both cylinders as th results will let you know Immediatley. Don't ignore warning lights ever.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

#3 ·
3,000 miles ( I bought it with 2650-2750)
Stalled while cruising speed 45mph
At restart it turned over but did the slow turn over when hot like before and like others have discussed here.
Never did trouble shoot the FI, I pinned it as a low battery issue from first time, because that was the first time it came on when I noticed I had a lot battery.

I don't mean rod knock goes away under steady load, but that my experience with rod knocks is that they will seem like they go away at 1500-2000 rpm only to return the min you let go of the throttle and the Crank catches up with the rods...
Ya I did kinda ignore the FI like, just because that first dead battery. Blaming it on dead battery because that was the only time I would see it.

Any chance someone can point me into the right direction with testing the FI procedures.
I will do it tonight to see what codes it shoots out.
Thanks again.

#7 ·
Is it possible you can take a video so we can hear the motor? Is there fuel management on it? First thing to do is definitely trouble shoot the FI light to see what is going on.
:agree:

Also. We don't have rods in our engine so there shouldn't be any noise. Are you sure you aren't talking spark knock?

Who did you buy the bike off of personal or dealer? Used/new? Your bike looks decently stock in photo. Is it still that way?

#11 ·
If it over fueled and hydrolocked slightly it would bend a rod. I'm not an expert on these but I have major experience on bad fuel injectors on Ford products doing this...04-08 f150 5.4 3v motors. Good luck

#14 · (Edited)
This was my concern as the exhaust being partially blocked and acting like a choke. but of course since it is fuel injected it only lets in a certain amount of gas nomatter what, but might not be getting a good burn.

I am somewhere between a blocked exhaust and a timing issue. Something is giving him an FI. Bike will run front hot if out of time.

#12 ·
#16 · (Edited)
Doesn't matter if you have bearing shells (plates) or roller bearings, if the bearing has gone bye bye the connecting rod WILL make a noise!
You have any 2 lumps of metal being pushed together by the expanding gases above a piston and you will hear it! :D
No one here has ever heard an engine making noise from a blown big end bearing! :eek:

A video would really be helpful... I'm confused at the moment! ???

So the OP was cruising along at a steady speed and the engine locked solid? Or did the power drop off suddenly?
It's not unknown for engines to drop a valve and twins will run on one cylinder and make hell of a racket!

#17 ·
Doesn't matter if you have bearing shells (plates) or roller bearings, if the bearing has gone bye bye the connecting rod WILL make a noise!
You have any 2 lumps of metal being pushed together by the expanding gases above a piston and you will hear it! :D
No one here has ever heard an engine making noise from a blown big end bearing! :eek:

A video would really be helpful... I'm confused at the moment! ???
I will give that if they are worn out, but like you said... likeihood of that with this bike would be extremely minimal. Not to mention making the front cylndar hot and hard to compress. something else going on.

#21 ·
Video is private, can't see it. C46 is the exhaust servo not being there or gone bad. You can easily fix that by pulling a pin in the ecu. Someone can post up the fix as I don't have access to my pdf now. Not saying that is your problem but it is a start and the bike could be in limp mode. C00 means nothing is wrong but that will come up when you don't pull the code right. The code to focus on is the c46.

#23 · (Edited)
Valve train

That really sounds like valve train noise, i would pull the tank and take the covers off and check for damage, then while you are there check the compression. Rod knock is way deeper more like a hammer hitting the crankcase.

Don't run it until you find the noise it could be on the verge on taking other parts with it.

I went and listen to it again, it really seems like a cam knocking a loose cam follower, that would mean something broke downstream of that, could even be a dropped valve. Broken valve springs would let the piston hit the valve when it is coming up.

But i don't think it has a rod knock at all, Make sure you let us know what you find out.

#27 ·
Any word on this? Kind of interested to see what you found. Also feel bad that you wanted a 9 for so long and then you end up with this mess.

Would try the servo thing before taking the tank off and valve cover. It's not that I don't think it has to do iwth the CAM's but not seeing any signs of problems with the cams. If that chain in there is even the slightest bit loose it will skip timing and you would be missing and backfiring with even just one half link off. That's why I don't think it has to do with that.

#28 ·
Hey thanks for following up
And ya felt like **** so I stopped coming to the forums really.
It was internal so I sold it...
Got a bunch of extra parts..
Will be posting those soon...

As much as I would hate to say it ... I musta overheated it.
Putting the spike air cleaner and took out 2 outta 3 plate out of the stock exhaust .... Probably had it running lean...
Hope someone reads this before doing that again..
Cheers fellas and safe riding!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Hi my name is Bob & I'm a EVERYTHINGAHOLIC

If it make me feel good I want MORE OF IT!! :eek::D

I ESPECIALLY love Dominos cheese steaks. When I call the local Dominos they know who I am by the sound of my voice. :eek::D;)

#30 ·
Did no one else notice how bad that exhaust servo sounded prior to the bike being started? Mine never sounded like that. It almost sounded as if it was hung up on something…

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.