M109 Rider Forums banner

Help, I can't get the front tire off.

2K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  BigpapaM109 
#1 · (Edited)
Yes, I loosened the two hex bolts but the axle rod will not budge. I tried a breaker bar with a rubber mallet and even stood on the breaker bar and it won't loosen. I don't understand why it is so hard to take out, I've had the tire off before and did not overly crank it tight when I put it back on.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Brian

#4 ·
WD 40 penetrating oil, peck on both ends of axle or around it without damaging anything of course, may try using heat from a heat gun, may try a flat screwdriver to pry between the split that the hex head set screws squeezes together, remove the set screws and make sure one is not broke off in there.

#7 ·
did you loosen or remove the 2 hex screws ? if you dindt get them out far enough they may still be holding the axle in

#9 ·
to the O P did you get it off and what if anything was the " Hold Up ":joke:

#12 ·
Spray with PBlaster or Kroil, (I don't find WD40 to have any quality as a penetrating oil!) and you might have to open the clamping area gently where the Allen head bolts were.
As Ryan suggested, grease it before reassembling too!

#18 ·
I haven't had another chance to try it since, the bike is still in my buddy's garage.

I did remove the 2 hex bolts but it will not budge. I'm going to try the pipe and hammer method on Saturday and go from there.
I'll let you all know how it goes.

We are sure it is a standard lefty loosey deal right?

#20 ·
So I think I have a major problem, I still can't get the damn thing off.
I borrowed a 36v cordless impact driver and a 434ft lb corded impact wrench from work and the damn thing didn't budge.
Yes I had the pinch bolts out completely.

Thinking about getting a propane torch to heat it up a bit and try again. Any other suggestions?

#21 ·
Wow, sorry to hear. If its not coming off with a impact I would imagine its either corroded or seized on the left side. The axel is only threaded into the LEFT lower fork, with just the pinch bolts on the right fork. Have you tried using some penetrating oil and letting it soak and then try the inpact on it?

#28 ·
My problem is that the "special" suzuki tool is 1/4 but the corded impact is 3/4. The adapters were the impact type but were from Harbor Freight since Sears didn't have any.

#31 ·
Like mention before forget wd40, it's not a penetrating oil. Get JB 80 or similar and try some heat. That bad boy will come off sooner or later, and drink more beer as you work on it, the alcohol tends to make make some men fill more manly and this may be the edge you need :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.