M109 Rider Forums banner

Tank emblem removal

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Sixes350 
#1 ·
What is the easiest way to remove the emblems from the gas tank?

#2 ·
Heat them up by sitting in the hot sun or with a hair dryer, then gently peel them off. Some use monofiliment line to run under them.

#6 ·
Yup and "go gone" to get ride of the residue it leaves.

#9 · (Edited)
badge removal

I just pulled my emblems.
I live in Fairbanks Alaska so sun heating the tank wasnt a possibility, I used a heat gun it took all of 5 minutes to get the chrome off but like another 30 for the two warning tage on the tank.my tank was full of fuel, I didnt have any issues with fuel coming out.

For the glue residue I used "Stoner" Terminator bug and tar remover. I had a substantial amout of adhesive/ foam from the two chrome emblems.
It took about 30min to get it all off.

Gave lil girl a wash and wax, no left over shadows. Looks great!!

Thank all you guys for the advise on this subject.
J.Rice

#10 ·
You might want to try some goof-off to remove some of the adhesive residue left behind. It is clearcoat safe. You may cause some scratches when you remove the emblem with the fishing line if not careful, so as mentioned above some swirl remover will probably be in order...

I doubt you will have any visible changes in the clear. You may want to detail your tank afterwards to try and make the rest of it look as ogod as the part that has never seen daylight...but I think the color will be the same, no fade.

#11 ·
Also

You can use a Mr. Clean eraser & Goo Gone to get off all that stubborn adhesive left over that just won't seem to come off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.