M109 Rider Forums banner

jumps out of 2nd gear

7K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  YBnorm 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 1800 and it pops out of 2nd when I am accelerating early in that gear...yhe FI light is constantly on the panal also....can someone give me some feedback on what it may be? Only 17250 miles on "the beast"...thanks...

#2 ·
Search 2nd gear under cutting.... time to have your Tranny rebuilt. Not a small job you can PM Futur or The Huff they can help you. But there are pages upon pages of info on this just use the search and start reading.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

#3 ·
there is some good news & bad news....the bad news is the last time I heard of this was on you tube from a man with the same problem you have that almost had him killed on a highway because of the same problem & also this bike of ours bcuz I also have one a 06....seem to have this issue from the 06 models to the 09 models! and to make matters worst Suzuki does not claim responsibility for the defect & will not recall this defect bcuz of the amount of bikes that will be returned....you are on your own for repairs and the job is a estimated 2500 to 3200 buck fix and that's parts and labor!!! I could be wrong on the price but that is what the guy that had the problem on youtube said but it was a while(2 yrs ago I could be wrong) also nobody(mechanic) really wants to touch this job(repair)....it(M109R gear pop out) also made some type of state trooper most dangerous list as number 2 out of a few other hazards on this list from this state!! now the good news is that you can repair its is ONE willing mechanic that will do the job out in the mid west forgot his location!! type up 2nd gear pop out on the youtube

#6 ·
Ok that is scary stuff:eek:

I would like to learn more as I have a 2k6 and almost everything I've read on here has happened to it.

I tried finding info on youtube, but all I get when I search 2nd gear pop out M109r, is the dude that shouldn't be allowed to ride a skateboard destroying his clutch.

#7 ·
Not saying you don't have the problem. But before you fork out that dough, make sure your clutch is adjusted properly. If it's too tight, inadequate freeplay, it could contribute to the cause. The clutch freeplay is hard to get right on these bikes, because at idle it will seem right, then you accelerate, and it tightens right up and there is zero freeplay. Make sure it's correct before giving up.

#8 · (Edited)
:agree: that this makes a ton of sense, if the clutch is partially disengaged when you accelerate and the motor moves it would pull the clutch even more, causing the gear to pop.
I bet that this is likely one cause of gear slip/pop. This should be investigated before handing a blank cheque to a mechanic.

One of the reasons I like to do my own work is that most (not all) mechanics will swap a 3000 dollar transmission on speculation, rather than dig and find the real problem..

#9 · (Edited)
The FI light wouldn't be related as it is fuel system, and the gear slip is drivetrain. Check if your fuel injector connectors are tight, and run a couple tanks with fuel injector cleaner through it. see if that helps first.

Also help us here, do you need to put the bike back in gear when it pops, does it jump into neutral?

#10 ·
Well, as stated above and not stated in the OP, it is not gear slip----he said drop out. If it was a clutch adjustment issue, it would just rev up and still be in the same gear. With what he has described, it is clearly a 2nd gear issue and 1st. It will only get worse and with that, just more damage to those gears. Yes, it will be costly, but if done right---bullet proof.

#12 ·
my 06 as well has had these issues. ive been skipping 2nd for a year now. this winter im getting it fixed. back cutting the gears. and while i got it apart does anyone know where i can get performance cams for this beast?

#13 ·
I must say i am currently getting the second gear repaired under warranty for the second time since i have owned my 08', i bought it new from the shop and purchased my warranty from dlp a year after i bought the bike.I am under warranty till July and i'm thinking of switching to the dark side with a new street glide, although it will be very hard to get rid of my 109 as i really do love it. My only complaint is how long it takes to get a job like this done. Its gonna be a cold ride bringing my baby back home in a couple more weeks but i honesty cant wait as they have had it about 3 months. Will be bringing the leathers:doorag: and taking the long way home.

#14 ·
It makes absolutely no sense they take that long. The book calls for 20 or 25 hours to do the job. And since they are putting in oem, they can get that stuff in 2 days. It should be a 2 week turn around at worse case. If they are sending out for upgrade parts and backcutting gears I can understand the delay.

#17 ·
That is not Suzuki. That is his extended warranty company---third party. However, the dealer doing the work is stupid slow. Again, if they put the same junk back in, you will end up with the same result. Most of the time I can do it with the right parts for the same price the dealer is raping you with.

Sent from my One bouncing of a few satellites!

#18 ·
It IS a Suzuki extended warranty, i don't know if they still sell it but it Is Suzuki extended warranty. If I was out of warranty I'm sure i would have been looking for your services as it is I'm considering of switching and selling now. I owned an 800 intruder for 14 years and it was NEVER in the shop.

#23 ·
They still sell the Suzuki extended protection, AKA (SEP Service Contract ) as I bought it when I got my bike this year. It was a 5 year extension and if I don't use it at all at the end of the 5 years, I get all my money back.

#25 ·
They repaired it twice under warranty even in the sixth year

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.