jumps out of 2nd gear

Thread: jumps out of 2nd gear

Default jumps out of 2nd gear

I have a 2006 1800 and it pops out of 2nd when I am accelerating early in that gear...yhe FI light is constantly on the panal also....can someone give me some feedback on what it may be? Only 17250 miles on "the beast"...thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tattywood View Post
    I have a 2006 1800 and it pops out of 2nd when I am accelerating early in that gear...yhe FI light is constantly on the panal also....can someone give me some feedback on what it may be? Only 17250 miles on "the beast"...thanks...
    Search 2nd gear under cutting.... time to have your Tranny rebuilt. Not a small job you can PM Futur or The Huff they can help you. But there are pages upon pages of info on this just use the search and start reading.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Very Active Member

there is some good news & bad news....the bad news is the last time I heard of this was on you tube from a man with the same problem you have that almost had him killed on a highway because of the same problem & also this bike of ours bcuz I also have one a 06....seem to have this issue from the 06 models to the 09 models! and to make matters worst Suzuki does not claim responsibility for the defect & will not recall this defect bcuz of the amount of bikes that will be returned....you are on your own for repairs and the job is a estimated 2500 to 3200 buck fix and that's parts and labor!!! I could be wrong on the price but that is what the guy that had the problem on youtube said but it was a while(2 yrs ago I could be wrong) also nobody(mechanic) really wants to touch this job(repair)....it(M109R gear pop out) also made some type of state trooper most dangerous list as number 2 out of a few other hazards on this list from this state!! now the good news is that you can repair its is ONE willing mechanic that will do the job out in the mid west forgot his location!! type up 2nd gear pop out on the youtube

exactly what he said
    40 degrees and partially sunny, i'm probably out riding

As stated, known problem, and will cost you $2500 (give or take) to have done at a dealer. The problem with that is they will put the same oem parts right back in unless they are willing to work with you. If they are, you can have better aftermarket parts put in.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKMUZK View Post
    there is some good news & bad news....the bad news is the last time I heard of this was on you tube from a man with the same problem you have that almost had him killed on a highway because of the same problem & also this bike of ours bcuz I also have one a 06....seem to have this issue from the 06 models to the 09 models! and to make matters worst Suzuki does not claim responsibility for the defect & will not recall this defect bcuz of the amount of bikes that will be returned....you are on your own for repairs and the job is a estimated 2500 to 3200 buck fix and that's parts and labor!!! I could be wrong on the price but that is what the guy that had the problem on youtube said but it was a while(2 yrs ago I could be wrong) also nobody(mechanic) really wants to touch this job(repair)....it(M109R gear pop out) also made some type of state trooper most dangerous list as number 2 out of a few other hazards on this list from this state!! now the good news is that you can repair its is ONE willing mechanic that will do the job out in the mid west forgot his location!! type up 2nd gear pop out on the youtube
    Ok that is scary stuff

I would like to learn more as I have a 2k6 and almost everything I've read on here has happened to it.

I tried finding info on youtube, but all I get when I search 2nd gear pop out M109r, is the dude that shouldn't be allowed to ride a skateboard destroying his clutch.

Not saying you don't have the problem. But before you fork out that dough, make sure your clutch is adjusted properly. If it's too tight, inadequate freeplay, it could contribute to the cause. The clutch freeplay is hard to get right on these bikes, because at idle it will seem right, then you accelerate, and it tightens right up and there is zero freeplay. Make sure it's correct before giving up.
    Sent from my Super Duper Cool Anus using Tapatoot!

2006 M109R. Corbin Smuggler, Low & Mean chrome chin scoop and Reeper front fender, Cobra Tri-Pro exhaust, Big Air intakes, D2Moto tail light, Kuryakin clear signals.

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Not saying you don't have the problem. But before you fork out that dough, make sure your clutch is adjusted properly. If it's too tight, inadequate freeplay, it could contribute to the cause. The clutch freeplay is hard to get right on these bikes, because at idle it will seem right, then you accelerate, and it tightens right up and there is zero freeplay. Make sure it's correct before giving up.

that this makes a ton of sense, if the clutch is partially disengaged when you accelerate and the motor moves it would pull the clutch even more, causing the gear to pop.
    I bet that this is likely one cause of gear slip/pop. This should be investigated before handing a blank cheque to a mechanic.

One of the reasons I like to do my own work is that most (not all) mechanics will swap a 3000 dollar transmission on speculation, rather than dig and find the real problem..
    Last edited by rekshort; 11-07-2013 at 06:43 PM.

The FI light wouldn't be related as it is fuel system, and the gear slip is drivetrain. Check if your fuel injector connectors are tight, and run a couple tanks with fuel injector cleaner through it. see if that helps first.

Also help us here, do you need to put the bike back in gear when it pops, does it jump into neutral?
    Last edited by rekshort; 11-07-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Well, as stated above and not stated in the OP, it is not gear slip----he said drop out. If it was a clutch adjustment issue, it would just rev up and still be in the same gear. With what he has described, it is clearly a 2nd gear issue and 1st. It will only get worse and with that, just more damage to those gears. Yes, it will be costly, but if done right---bullet proof.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    Well, as stated above and not stated in the OP, it is not gear slip----he said drop out. If it was a clutch adjustment issue, it would just rev up and still be in the same gear. With what he has described, it is clearly a 2nd gear issue and 1st. It will only get worse and with that, just more damage to those gears. Yes, it will be costly, but if done right---bullet proof.
    I started typing the exact same thing and dinner was ready. I then saw the update on tapatalk on my phone and I had typed just about the same thing. LOL No way it is a clutch adjustment!

Very Active Member

my 06 as well has had these issues. ive been skipping 2nd for a year now. this winter im getting it fixed. back cutting the gears. and while i got it apart does anyone know where i can get performance cams for this beast?
    Chrome factory rims, 280 metz, 160 batttleaxe, fat forks, grips, tach relocated, chin spoiler, ATRE, Fi2000, cobra swept, chrome covers, debeaver, blue led kit, seat cowl, 2" drop. COMING SOON (hopefully): air-ride w/center stand, 2" lowering spring, smoked taillight, side plate, chrome calipers/mounts/rotors, digital gauges, 2nd gear overhaul w/ cams, performance clutch, and more leds.

I must say i am currently getting the second gear repaired under warranty for the second time since i have owned my 08', i bought it new from the shop and purchased my warranty from dlp a year after i bought the bike.I am under warranty till July and i'm thinking of switching to the dark side with a new street glide, although it will be very hard to get rid of my 109 as i really do love it. My only complaint is how long it takes to get a job like this done. Its gonna be a cold ride bringing my baby back home in a couple more weeks but i honesty cant wait as they have had it about 3 months. Will be bringing the leathers and taking the long way home.
    08 Orange, Debadged, Debeavered, Kuryakyn Lizard Lights, 6 Yrs warranty, Cycle House curved side mount plate kickstand and levers, Kewlmetal 2" Riser extensions, Dunlop E3's 250,Cycle house 7 piece chrome cap set, Raw design LED rear turn signal, Dropped 2", J&M Speakers, Power Commander, HolleyMod, Sidburners, Arlen Ness grips and Pegs, Solo luggage rack SO FAR!!

Quote Originally Posted by YBnorm View Post
    I must say i am currently getting the second gear repaired under warranty for the second time since i have owned my 08', i bought it new from the shop and purchased my warranty from dlp a year after i bought the bike.I am under warranty till July and i'm thinking of switching to the dark side with a new street glide, although it will be very hard to get rid of my 109 as i really do love it. My only complaint is how long it takes to get a job like this done. Its gonna be a cold ride bringing my baby back home in a couple more weeks but i honesty cant wait as they have had it about 3 months. Will be bringing the leathers and taking the long way home.
    It makes absolutely no sense they take that long. The book calls for 20 or 25 hours to do the job. And since they are putting in oem, they can get that stuff in 2 days. It should be a 2 week turn around at worse case. If they are sending out for upgrade parts and backcutting gears I can understand the delay.

Quote Originally Posted by BigpapaM109 View Post
    It makes absolutely no sense they take that long. The book calls for 20 or 25 hours to do the job. And since they are putting in oem, they can get that stuff in 2 days. It should be a 2 week turn around at worse case. If they are sending out for upgrade parts and backcutting gears I can understand the delay.

I agree and the first time took way too long too but i just want it back and well that is a major part of the reason i think i might be switching over come July.
    08 Orange, Debadged, Debeavered, Kuryakyn Lizard Lights, 6 Yrs warranty, Cycle House curved side mount plate kickstand and levers, Kewlmetal 2" Riser extensions, Dunlop E3's 250,Cycle house 7 piece chrome cap set, Raw design LED rear turn signal, Dropped 2", J&M Speakers, Power Commander, HolleyMod, Sidburners, Arlen Ness grips and Pegs, Solo luggage rack SO FAR!!

I agree and the first time took way too long too but i just want it back and well that is a major part of the reason i think i might be switching over come July.
    I don't blame you at all. If either of ours acts up I will do it myself. Almost makes you wonder if Suzuki is intentionally delaying the warranty process to make sure you have less time to ride it until the warranty expires.

That is not Suzuki. That is his extended warranty company---third party. However, the dealer doing the work is stupid slow. Again, if they put the same junk back in, you will end up with the same result. Most of the time I can do it with the right parts for the same price the dealer is raping you with.

Sent from my One bouncing of a few satellites!
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

That is not Suzuki. That is his extended warranty company---third party. However, the dealer doing the work is stupid slow. Again, if they put the same junk back in, you will end up with the same result. Most of the time I can do it with the right parts for the same price the dealer is raping you with.

It IS a Suzuki extended warranty, i don't know if they still sell it but it Is Suzuki extended warranty. If I was out of warranty I'm sure i would have been looking for your services as it is I'm considering of switching and selling now. I owned an 800 intruder for 14 years and it was NEVER in the shop.

It IS a Suzuki extended warranty, i don't know if they still sell it but it Is Suzuki extended warranty. If I was out of warranty I'm sure i would have been looking for your services as it is I'm considering of switching and selling now. I owned an 800 intruder for 14 years and it was NEVER in the shop.
    fyi i do not see it for sale anymore

As he stated, it is a 100% suzuki extended, not aftermarket. I got a 3 year on my bike for basically free when I got it. I didn't get one on Mary's in 09.

He said "jumps out" and "pops out" never did he say drop out. All meaning the same thing really. Buy asking him if he needs to put it back in gear I was simply making sure he wasn't having difficulty articulating his issue, and that he was experiencing gear slip..
    Last edited by rekshort; 11-09-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rekshort View Post
    that this makes a ton of sense, if the clutch is partially disengaged when you accelerate and the motor moves it would pull the clutch even more, causing the gear to pop.
    I bet that this is likely one cause of gear slip/pop. This should be investigated before handing a blank cheque to a mechanic.

One of the reasons I like to do my own work is that most (not all) mechanics will swap a 3000 dollar transmission on speculation, rather than dig and find the real problem..

I wasn't thinking when I said that pulling the clutch would cause the gear to pop, I meant slip.. I musta been

They still sell the Suzuki extended protection, AKA (SEP Service Contract ) as I bought it when I got my bike this year. It was a 5 year extension and if I don't use it at all at the end of the 5 years, I get all my money back.

Debaffled~Yana Shiki License Plate, Derby, Blade Levers, Medieval Kickstand~Knight Rider G4~Raw Design Stealth Rear Signals~Raw Designs C.A. Front Turn Signals~HH Taillight Cover~Ferreus Combat Skull Grille~Mean Cycles Chin Spoiler~X-TRE~Gman FI Controller & Stealth Intakes~Rex 3D Mirrors~R.I.S. Diamond Cut Grips~Progressive 465 W\RAP 1" Lower~Cobra Swept

Quote Originally Posted by rekshort View Post
    I wasn't thinking when I said that pulling the clutch would cause the gear to pop, I meant slip.. I musta been

] p99]] p]
    Quote Originally Posted by lcollins View Post
    They still sell the Suzuki extended protection, AKA (SEP Service Contract ) as I bought it when I got my bike this year. It was a 5 year extension and if I don't use it at all at the end of the 5 years, I get all my money back.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk