M109 Rider Forums banner

New Harbor Freight Lift warning

50K views 46 replies 30 participants last post by  HyperPete 
#1 ·
I saw this posted over on the VMax site. Here is the info that was posted, FWIW.

It appears that the supplier of the lift has changed. The original lift is part number 68892. The new lift is part number 69904. The new lift is proving to be structurally unsafe. It has a main beam that is "L" shaped. The foot of the L is on the bottom. The new stop bar is a hollow tube. When the lift is lowered onto the stop bar and the weight of the load is placed against the main beam the tube bends and the main frame deforms. Down goes the load. It would do no good to replace the stop bar with one of solid steel. The main beam would still bend, even worse.

The original lift, 68892, has a "C" channel main beam and a solid steel stop bar. Much stronger. Mine is the older unit and has held Venture Royals, Royale Star Ventures, full dress Harley's, and Goldwings. It is 2 years old now with no problems.

http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48993

Reactions: GreyCloud
#2 ·
I have the older as well and never an issue. Matter of fact the bike is on it now all the way up. It sat on that lift most of last winter so I coud tinker when I wanted. Thanks for the heads up, sure someone here has one of those new ones.

#3 ·
I was just thinking about buying one. I guess I'll hold off for now...

#6 ·
I think I read the same thing in the reviews on their website. I was doing a search for lifts and two showed up, both the same price but different item numbers. I noticed the reviews had one rated much better than the other, and the item that was mentioned was the stop bar was designed differently.

#9 ·
I have the older one, made by Pittsburgh Motorcycle. Here is the main difference. Besides the safety bar looking to be thinner and probably a weaker steel, the lower rails are knife-edged, not "C"d, no reinforcement, no support. Those lower rails will bow outward over time, even with a stronger safety bar. That new lift is NOT designed to take the weight. I hope Pittsburgh didn't make that, bad on them if they did. Tire Automotive tire Wheel Hood Bumper
Automotive tire Wheel Tire Wood Bumper

#21 ·
I have the older one, made by Pittsburgh Motorcycle. Here is the main difference. Besides the safety bar looking to be thinner and probably a weaker steel, the lower rails are knife-edged, not "C"d, no reinforcement, no support. Those lower rails will bow outward over time, even with a stronger safety bar. That new lift is NOT designed to take the weight. I hope Pittsburgh didn't make that, bad on them if they did. View attachment 108457 View attachment 108449
Can you clear this up for me? The old part # is the one on the right correct? (68892)

#10 ·
What a chity fabrication. Who ever did that i would of fired their butt. And they put it on the market with out even stress testing it. Guess someone dont know stress points.

#11 ·
That's to bad and I was thinking about getting one.

#12 ·
I'm going to bet that after they get a few back where they have all failed in the same place they will change them back. At least now I know what the problem is and I could reinforce it before it was ever allowed to fail.

A great heads up!

Has HF been contacted about this? Did they reply?

#14 ·
easy fix. Close the gap where the bar goes throw so it pinches the bar like sissor's.

Talk them into selling it at half price and fix it yourself.

#18 ·
Just went by our local HF to have a look at the new design. It looked like it would be ok, it has the right bracing and cross members but the safety bar is fubar-ed, that would have to be replaced with a good solid bar. All in all I think it will make a good lift for the price but not as good as the old one which I am lucky enough to have bought last year.

#20 ·
it also appears to be easily distinguished by the stop bar on mine has a ring welded on the end of it and identifying as the older version and the newer one has a hole drilled and a ring is put through the hole signifying the newer problematic one ?

#22 · (Edited)
1" Bar.....problem solved.

Interesting timing on this thread. I JUST got around to replacing my half inch bar which was bending quite severely (although not quite as much as the pic, but getting close) with a solid steel 1" bar yesterday. Problem solved.

I have 3 feet left over of one inch solid bar, anybody nearby need some?

#23 ·
I am looking to buy this lift from harbor freight. As always I read all the reviews on everything I buy, I noticed a review on the Harbor freight website that said this happened & the only fix is to get a bar that is very sturdy & replace the bar that comes with the lift.

#24 ·
Good post. I was looking at these the other day as well. Looks to me like the rails that are supposed to support the safety bar were installed upside down compared to the old version.

#36 ·
The Jack you want to buy

After reading all this, I looked on harbor freight and read the reviews for the 99887. It is on sale for 179 plus using 25% off coupon. Anyone have any comments on this one?
If you're still looking to get a MC jack, check ou the Black Widow hydraulic from the following site for $99. Been using it for two years, no problem. They also have an air hydraulic version. http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-jacks/c/2124/

#33 ·
Bike Lifts

Hi Folks

My sump sits about 3/16 inch below the frame,engine mounts are all ok.

The question is, if I was to use a lift the rear would sit snuggly on the lift arm, but the front would sit across the sump. Does any one know if that's ok, as I wouldn't want to damage or put a strain on the sump?

Thanks

Paul :)

#44 ·
place a piece of 2X6 on the floor ,
not high enough , one for each Wheel , ride onto them , you can place a third one for the kickstand ,
your legs are too short ?? 2 more for your feet , ....:D
that is all I have , maximum of 5 pièces of wood on the ground before you slide the jack Under the bike ,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.