M109 Rider Forums banner

Rim for 300

4K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  jrrose69 
#1 ·
Kind of new. I was looking for advice on converting from a stock wheel and tire to a 300. Do I need to have my rim modified or can I buy one to fit a 300? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
You should use a 10" wheel if you want to run a 300 rear tire. In saying that you also need to modified your rear swing arm or buy a aftermarket one. Do a search on this forum you see the pros and cons.

#4 ·
DLP sells a 10" wheel that mimics the stock wheel.

#6 ·
There is WAAAAYYYY more to do than just order a swingarm and wheel for a 300 to fit. Do the research, not a thing for a novice to get into----not trying to imply anything.

#7 ·
:agree:

#14 ·
Yes they did fix the problem and they have not had a whell fail since and it has been a few years and if i remember right the wheels that did fail was caused by hitting huge pot holes that would have wrecked any wheel. both wheels i have had widened are both going strong

#15 ·
Oh Yeah , and jrrose sent me pictures of the new way they weld
them now , only one welding pass , no more strip of one inch welded on both sides
I am in the process of having this done by a friend .....it's been 3 months and I'm
still waiting for my rim back , but I am keeping quiet because he is doing this for me free
for past favors, but I really hope I get it back before April and riding season starts.
I could post pictures of the new way Kosman welds them now,
but I got them in a private message from Jrrose69 ,
so maybe he wants to keep it secret , ask him ,unless
he comes back in this thread and says it's OK to post them .

#23 · (Edited)
Hi 06M109R , the wheel was cut , the outer part thrown away
and the outer parts from another rim (little wider )were welded to the center part .
((so you keep a little more on center part of receiving rim , and keep a little more on outer
parts of donor rim , giving you a wider rim ))
Personnaly I am going to widen 7/8 on right side , and 5/8 on diff side , the diff side is always
the side that rubs on the swingarm , so using shim to move wheel , or widening with offset
should place rim in middle of swingarm.
You want as much info as possible , OK , I read that when cutting and welding ,
you better make sure all the paint was removed from the aluminum where you are going to weld ,
and 1 inch more on each side , this is to not contaminate the weld , the grade of aluminum
in our rims is crappy so we need all the help we can get for a good quality weld .
The old way was to cut rim , make a 3/4 inch strip of aluminum (fabricate that
strip at welding shop )and weld that strip where the cut was made .
doing that on both sides gave 4 welds , with the new way you need 2 rims
to make one , but you have less welding .
Compared to the past ,now they cut closer to the center part of the wheel ,
it seems to make the difference between fragile rims ,and stonger ones.
I also read that if you have the choice, it is better to get the outside rim part with the square lip,
and not the one with no lip , you can see Jrrose69'rim as no lip where the tire sits , it
is another element to make rim stronger.
pictures of old way .
PS , when it comes to balancing , just put some Dyna beeds in there .

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.