M109 Rider Forums banner

What happened to the "will this effect you" discussion?

3K views 61 replies 26 participants last post by  godservant78 
#1 ·
Yesterday there was a good thread on here about how the federal budget cuts will be effecting people.....what happened to it? ???

#57 ·
I have not said anything about anything since the chit hit the fan. I don't appreciate the accusation.

#3 ·
Wow, they let gun talk go on for a month, but delete one that affects all of us after a day. Guess they're taking a stand finally.

#6 · (Edited)
Who cares if a topic gets political?....some need to get that way, it's just part of the discussion...that's not a reason to delete...
It all boils down to, it's their website, they call the shots. I always thought it would be a good thing to discuss other topics here with the membership we have so we can be more informed then just , what oil do you use, what tires should I buy, BUT it.s their site to run as they see fit....

I started a thread last week about the draft introduced into congress again , and it didn't last an hour LOL

#7 ·
Is the General MC Board the place for that topic? ... it should have been posted in the "off topic" forum. I have not looked but maybe it was moved to there.

This forum should just be for motorcycle related items and questions ... not that I am the police or anything, just my 2 cents (even though Canada does not make the penny anymore) ... so I guess it is my 5 cents!

#8 ·
If that were the case, it would get really slow topic wise here. The o/t section keeps things hopping when bike topics are slow.

sent from my galaxy S3 from somewhere outside space

#9 ·
why do these threads get deleted? because some people are too dense and can't accept the fact that a forum that belongs to someone else, paid for by someone else and for a specific purpose, is not their personal playground.

the reason political posts are not allowed is most likely for the same reason religion, gender, race etc etc are not allowed, those topics breed hate, anger and resentment and nothing else (don't start with the crap about "healthy discussion" either, most people aren't too civil when they argue their rigid points), and that's not healthy for the membership of a forum that was created for a hardware made by Suzuki.

Is there something wrong with adults discussing current events, including politics and such? not at all, but if you wanna do that pay for a hosting company and your bandwidth and go nuts all day back and forth reciting crap you just read on the internet or watched on TV.

that's my best guess at why threads get deleted ;). i may be wrong though.

#13 ·
:agree::agree: I read a little bit of it but then I got depressed to see all those who will be effected. It's stressful enough to be worried about your own life but, man reading that seems like some good people are going to be hurt this year. As far as mod money goes from the sounds of it some guys might have to sell their bikes. The way gas is going up I think I'll sell my SUV before my bike

#17 ·
Everything IS political!

#18 ·
I used to frequent a pretty good dirt bike forum. They have what is called a "Town Square" to keep all the BS off the rest of the site. Here is their format for this forum...

Welcome to the Town Square, the spot we set up to keep the garbage from collecting elsewhere on the site.
The rules around these parts are pretty simple:
1. If you're offended by differing views on politics, religion or other typically argumentative topics, you might want to hit the back button now. You will find ideas here that you'll disagree with.2. If you're thinned skinned and want to participate, you might want to toughen up a bit. Moderators will not respond to reported posts if the reason is because you don't agree with a differing opinion or someone wasn't quite as pleasant as you'd have liked.3. If you become abusive or threatening to others, it might be on a bad day for us and we might hit the ban hammer as therapy.
We usually have bad days three days a week. You pick which three.
4. What you see posted in this forum may or may not have been read by admin, moderators or anyone else of little importance. So, if you report a topic or post, assume that we don't agree or disagree with anything. We likely have no idea what you're talking about before you report something to us.5. Have fun and don't take things too seriously. It's the Interwebz afterall!

#19 ·
PERFECT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I like it,,,,,,,,,,,

#22 ·
I let the thread run until it got into the same old Republican vs Democrat and Presidential debate, then it had to go. It wasn't that it was just in the wrong section as they can easily be moved, but we have clear rules about political discussions. Stay away from that and the posts would stay. Now if it's obviously a political debate to begin with it's not going to stay around very long.

#28 ·
I let the thread run until it got into the same old Republican vs Democrat and Presidential debate, then it had to go. It wasn't that it was just in the wrong section as they can easily be moved, but we have clear rules about political discussions. Stay away from that and the posts would stay. Now if it's obviously a political debate to begin with it's not going to stay around very long.
I guess I didn't see any of the political stuff in that thread, but then again, I didn't see a lot of the posts that were posted before it got shut down either...

#25 ·
That's not likely. If you notice the OT section is called the Off Topic Experiment. The admins didn't want an off-topic section at all but agreed to give it a try just to keep non-bike topics off the main boards. Since this is a family friendly board the last thing that will happen is to have an area where people can say anything they feel like saying, with the results that would bring.

#27 · (Edited)
The amount of time I spend on this site is considerably less than I used to spend here because of such follies. I had a number of good posts on that thread, all gone because someone does not like political. I get tired and bored of talking about these motorcycles we ride, you can only rehash it so many times before, tata, seeya. There are a lot of other websites I frequent these days that do not get so anal on the subject, and hence, they are more fun to be on. I despise politics as much as others, but at least I have a backbone, and can just click back if it's going somewhere I do not want to go.

#29 ·
Where are you hanging these days? I like a little truthfulness in the political arena and really don't like the over protective PC crowd. Also, I think a lot have blocked my posts (which is fine, but childish, imho) and it really is boring when you post answers and charts and then people respond like it wasn't even there. lol My main question for the admins would be this: It has been the otExperiment since I have been here, when will it no longer be an experiment? It should either be or not be, but quite frankly, like Cbxer says haow many times can we keep rehashing the same stuff over and over again. With the exception of the occasional for sale threads, which incidentally many break the forum rules by posting in them, and the usual trod and Big b bs, there just isn't much here anymore. And like theHuff says, "everything is political, everything"

#33 ·
The beauty of this site is that there IS such a huge cross section of the population, all with differing ideas, all brought here by the same thing. I find the political posts to be interesting right up to the point where the trolls hijack the threads. I would rather see the mods fire a warning shot or two at specific individuals than to have them close or delete entire threads. It's one thing to interject an opinion, but there are a few here whose posts add nothing to the discussions and only aim to provoke others.

#34 ·
Political only means a difference of opinion. It doesn't have to be only governmental. It can be about second gear on a motorcycle. Two differences of opinion. Both stated, then gain supporters on both sides. Other opinions pop up etc... It became political.

Truthfully, I usually find that those that get angry about "political" discussions or religious ones get angry because they begin to question that their set of beliefs might be wrong and more than likely aren't familiar with how to back them. It's a human response to our desire to be perceived as correct. So really they are just expressing something they've been told or have assumed.

There is right and wrong and there is those who were right and were wrong. It's all cause and effect. That thread was about someone who instilled the action while blaming another and sensationalizing the effects. It's almost impossible to have that discussion without naming names and responsibility.

But I digress... I could go through every thread on this forum and quote a political theme to every part of it. Politics is life and there is nothing to be mad about in a discussion. What there is to get mad about is the result if it truly hurts people.

#35 ·
Politics (from Greek politikos "of, for, or relating to citizens") is the art or science of influencing people on a civic, or individual level, when there are more than 2 people involved.

#46 ·
What's the best new ice fishing lure?

#49 ·
More riveting discussions to come soon as we ignore what truly will effect our motorcycle purchases and riding.:bigthumbsup:

#61 ·
I missed the Joke emoticon. OK, I guess it was clever...
Hey, maybe someone SHOT the other thread!! :joke:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.