M109 Rider Forums banner

Goldwing F6B - opinions?

10K views 34 replies 31 participants last post by  Mrtallguy67 
#1 ·
Has anyone test ridden this thing yet?

For a 2nd bike a couple years ago i was leaning toward a b-king, then came the awesome diavel, thought that was the 2nd bike of my dreams, but the 9 is so good in so many areas, the diavel wasnt different enough for me to justify keeping the 9 just to tour.
Since then my lifestyle has changed and I'm considering a more touring oriented bike for a 2nd, like a HD or Victory bagger. I'm riding 3 to 4 hours at a time frequently enough to justify a tourer.

I've never even been on a regular goldwing, but I also do not wish to own one. I dont want a top case or a tall windshield on any bike, but I do want a bike with some tech features and capable of spending lots of time at 70 on interstates and sightseeing in state parks. I do need the lockable storage hard bags, and I and my passenger are tall and over 420lbs combined.

What are your thoughts & opinions on the Goldwing F6B as a 2nd bike?

#2 ·
My friend is going to sell his 9 for that bike he says its awesome.

#25 ·
Considering a trade of my 2009 109 for a 2015 Blue F6b

I've seen it and taking the spouse to the dealer to see how it feels for her too. I'm looking for more comfort for her to ride more than 1.5 hours. I have the corbin passenger seat, original pegs but I'm sure the Honda will have more comfort with longer rides. This Saturday I'll decide if the 9 stays or goes.

#3 ·
I say do it. If I could swing it I would be all over it. You have 2 colors to choose from. B;ack or red. from what I have read.

#7 ·
Love the look. Hate the price. $25,000 on the road, in Cdn funds of course. Absolutely absurd.
The comfort and reliability of a Goldwing is nice though.

#11 ·
Sweet ride, Honda reliability (as reliable as the sunrise) - way overpriced! If money were no object I would have one.

#13 ·
I would own one if I could. 20,000 or so USD but Goldwings last forever. I need two things a bigger garage and a lot more money.

#17 ·
Just to note, Maintenance costs. I always check costs to maintain a rig or MC. Hd is very high and the dealer here unlike my Suzuki roles the bike into the back and thats the last you see of it till they are done. My dealer invites visits as long as you stay out of the way and don't hold up the mechanics. The Honda/ Yamaha dealer here doesn't keep you from a visit but the wife works with the wife of a mechanic from there and he was telling me the Gold Wing is a maintenance pain because of all the cowling's that have to be removed just to get to what you want, At the same time another guy that owns one says he loves it and maintenance costs aren't that bad so I guess you will have to do a little research and decide for yourself. Me, if I had the money and wanted another bike for a highway bike I would choose the GW over an HD without a doubt. I own a Honda Accord and it is the cats meow. Other than routine maintenance it has been a wonderful car with 150,000 miles and not one issue.

#18 ·
Maintenance costs for a Goldwing,which the F6B is also,are minimal.I'm a fix it myself type guy.Oil changes are easy,it has a spin on filter.No plastic to remove.I buy oil and filter at Wally World.Air filter is cheap too,like 20 bucks.Problem with it is,it takes like an hour to take the plastic off just to get to where the filter is.And an hour to put it all back.Valve adjustments are shim and bucket,easy if mechanically inclined.Shims are only a few bucks.Lots of wingers check the valves way past due.Like 80-90K only to find no adjustment necessary.Tires....some say 4-5K mountain carving on chip-in-seal roads.Others claim over 20K. And then there's alot of darkside riders that get well over that from rear tires.
I paid $358 for a extended warranty. That's a 7 year unlimited mile warranty. If any thing else breaks,the dealer fixes it.When I traded in my 03 wing,it had 130K on it and still had a
warranty.My '12 has a little over 30K on it now.:p

Attachments

#24 ·
These 3 responses are where I'm at on the whole thing. I can hardly believe the price, but I'm just about sure it's the 1 bike on the market I feel is worth dropping $20k on. I just need to get more comfortable with the price I guess, and I will probably need a little encouragement from a good test ride of around 30 minutes or more. I am always impressed with the modern sport performance motorcycle, as I mentioned, but modern luxury bikes have not hit all of the buttons for me before this one. If it's as good a machine in its operation as everyone says I will probably have one.

Until then, its 9 in the morning, 9 'til supper time. :evil:

Thanks for the responses and lets hear some reviews when members take delivery.

HyperPete Sweet ride, Honda reliability (as reliable as the sunrise) - way overpriced!

AWESOME109 I have never met a Goldwing owner who didn't love his bike. A lot of them are getting over 300K miles out of them.

Maintenance costs for a Goldwing,which the F6B is also,are minimal.I'm a fix it myself type guy.Oil changes are easy,it has a spin on filter.No plastic to remove.I buy oil and filter at Wally World.Air filter is cheap too,like 20 bucks.Problem with it is,it takes like an hour to take the plastic off just to get to where the filter is.And an hour to put it all back.Valve adjustments are shim and bucket,easy if mechanically inclined.Shims are only a few bucks.Lots of wingers check the valves way past due.Like 80-90K only to find no adjustment necessary.Tires....some say 4-5K mountain carving on chip-in-seal roads.Others claim over 20K. And then there's alot of darkside riders that get well over that from rear tires.
I paid $358 for a extended warranty. That's a 7 year unlimited mile warranty. If any thing else breaks,the dealer fixes it.When I traded in my 03 wing,it had 130K on it and still had a
warranty.My '12 has a little over 30K on it now.:p

#19 ·
The bike doesn't release until late Feb or early March so riding one at this point is not likely.
Do I like it? Yes!!! Ordered mine the first week of January and can't wait to get it!!!
I loved my nine and it gave me no issues for the one season of riding. I have to hope the Honda will offer the same reliability and low cost of maintenance.
Will definitely buy the extended warranty for 7 years unlimited kms as its great insurance!!!
As far as the price goes I think for the $ 22,995 CDN list price the bike is fairly priced for what you get.
I'm sure there will be discounts at most dealers. The company I work for owns a Honda Powersports store so there is no haggling or guessing on the price as I buy at invoice.

#20 ·
I've been on a regular wing and it blew me away. Awesome power, quite, handled well. It was great. I'm just not into the full blown touring deal quite yet. I think the F6B is gonna be the cats ass. We have 2 coming to our dealership, and we are gonna demo one, so I get to ride one anytime I want, and still get to keep the 9. And if I wanna go slow, I can ride the HD's. lol. Can't wait to throw a leg over the wing. I'll post my thoughts in the spring.

#22 ·
I'd love to have one. Just too expensive :(

#23 ·
I have never met a Goldwing owner who didn't love his bike. A lot of them are getting over 300K miles out of them. Try that Harley. Overpriced?? Maybe. But there are plenty of nice used ones out there. I'm not into the looks of the new one. Hoping I will be able to add on soon(2002-20012).

#26 ·
Rented one of those last year away from home
it is a Cadillac ,
some of the Gold Wing options are not available on the F6B
but since it's been out , some people have found ways to add
them .
best part for me was " no rubbing ", in curves, ..ever

#27 · (Edited)
Awesome!!

I've had my Nimitz-Class Battle Sofa for 3 weeks now and I can honestly say I am not missing the Bully one bit. I will add though...if you are over 5'2" tall, you WILL fork out more cash for a new windscreen. The stocker SUCKS! I have a Windbender on the way.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

#32 ·
Guys don't believe that $20,000 price tag. There are plenty of 14s and 15s brand new for $17,000 or less. You just have to look. Its a great bike and handles like a dream. This bike gets around a corner with a nod of your head. They look good too. Especially if you add a blond and some chrome. Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Motorcycle

#33 · (Edited)
By the way, Cycle World has created entirely new category just for the F6B. They call it a "Heavy Cruiser"...I kinda like that.

I've had about ten or twelve bikes in the last forty years. My last bike was an '89 1100F Katana, purchased new. This time around, I had been thinking Harley (one of the few I've not yet owned...figured it might be time, and besides...I was getting just too damned old to stay with a Cafe Racer). But I couldn't quite wrap my head around the price tag of a new one, nor the general attitude at every HD dealership I've ever been in (especially the one that is only but a mile up the road from my house).

Eventually, it came down to either a 109...or an Indian Dark Horse. As it turns out, there is a dealer around here that handles both Honda and Suzuki. I went over there to check out his 109's and in the process tripped over an F6B. I'd never even known they existed. Years ago I more or less tuned Honda out (no way in hell that *I* was ever going to buy an old-man-goldwing in this lifetime) and hadn't even bothered to keep up with what they were doing these days.

So, after catching up on exactly what an F6B was, it became a choice of either the Dark Horse, the F6B, or the 109. When it got to that point, the wife got to put in her two-cents worth. (By the way, next time you are deciding on your next bike....don't let your wife put in her two-cents worth.) That big wide rider seat sold her....didn't matter what it was bolted onto. (I said thanks and hustled her back out to the car....you'd think I'd learn.) But...the more I looked at the F6, the more I fell in love with it.

Last November, I rode my brand new '15 Matte Silver F6B Deluxe home. Haven't regretted the decision yet.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

And yes.....it IS like riding your living room sofa around town.

....sT

PS ----- And btw, since buying mine I have done a LOT of mods on the stock bike. This is the first bike I have ever owned where you can tell that they anticipated that someone might want to do this mod or that mod and had it set up ready to do it. I've only had to strip wires and heat up a soldering iron once...everything else was there waiting for me to come looking for it. Certain amount of respect for the forethought involved in that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.