M109 Rider Forums banner

sold on the 260 Rear Metzler,...but the 160 front? help...

5K views 69 replies 40 participants last post by  The Chief 
#1 ·
So i have been sifting through all the old posts about tires. ( i got to ditch these stock pieces of c***)

I am sold on going with Metzlers (260 on rear....I want to use my stock rims front and back). The 160 front just has me wandering about wheel clearance and if it will handle well? Just wandering if i should step down a size or two on the front?? ......Would say I'm pulling my hair out over this but my follicles decided to leave me long ago...
thanks for your input...i know this may be an old worn out discussion but would like to hear from those who have ran this setup for over 6 months now.

#2 ·
I"ve got almost 20,000 miles on my existing 160/60ZR18 Avon Storm, and ran a Metzeler Marathon ME880 160/60VR18 for 14,000 miles without incident. It's a mod I can't explain, as you won't get it until you ride it. It absorbs bumps, makes steering more effortless, and improves handling.

-Josh

#4 ·
I"ve got almost 20,000 miles on my existing 160/60ZR18 Avon Storm, and ran a Metzeler Marathon ME880 160/60VR18 for 14,000 miles without incident. It's a mod I can't explain, as you won't get it until you ride it. It absorbs bumps, makes steering more effortless, and improves handling.

-Josh
I had some stuff I was going to give my input on when I read your title, but Josh summed it up so well.:agree: It has made quite a difference in the.... confidence(?) I feel over the 130 stock Dunny. And put it on in reverse! I have had 0 problems or concerns with having the tire mounted this way. As for clearance; use a rat tail file or a Dremmel and oval your front fender holes just a little and hold up on the fender when reinstalling it, or just use Fatblacks fender extensions to raise your fender up a little, and then go for it. You'll love it.

#3 ·
I've read quite a few posts about this (I was having the same struggle you are) and it sounds to me like the 260/160 is a very good mod...check out motorcyclemaniacstore.com for the monster vee 260 and chapparrel.com for the metzler me880 160. I got some great prices on mine. Also make sure the 160 is mounted backwards.

#8 ·
When I change my front out next time I'm going to bump it up to the largest tire made for a front wheel which I think is a 150. I believe I would still experience a better ride like the peeps who went with the 160 but have a tire made specificly for the front. I figure less chance for Clearance issues or legal issue where this could be made an issue.

#18 ·
Never adjusted the fender in any way for the 160. No need to, no problem

#21 ·
I ran the 150 front (honda Rune tire) there were no clearance issues and I believe it is a shorter tire thn stock If im doing the math correct. 70% of 130 is greater than 60%150 a good tire for thoes who want a front tire on the front at a higher price. I now have the 160 and like it even better. did not do fender mods, but with my new wrap around fender I made my own extensions for about 10 bucks. there is lots of room for leds as they arre lower in the wheel area .

#22 ·
I also wanted to run the 160 up front, but no shop in my area was willing to run it in reverse for. So I ended up using a 140, and I am very satisfied with the performance of the tire. Since it is a taller tire it does require adjusting the fender. I bought some fender extension from rainey and have been one happy rider since.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I Could See That Being Accurate

I could definitely see the big tire being a confidence builder over the skinny stock tire. Less twitchy at slow speeds, more in tune with the big fat monster in the back at highway speeds. Plus it looks better IMHO.

I am seriously going to look at this mod. I got a couple of thousand left on the back tire . . (260 Metz or 250 Dunnie E3, is best replacement, right?), but unfortunately, the front tire looks like new.. . maybe change it out next winter!

#30 ·
The 160 does not track when going over road repairs like the 130 does. I have noticed no loss of cornering ability either.

All I did with the fender is loosen the bolts a little, and make sure the fender was sitting as high as the stock holes would allow then retighten. Absolutely no problems with this setup.

#31 ·
LOVE MY 160/60

Yeah, I was a little doubtful that I would like the big monster on the front but the profile was so great and with the gangster fender it all came together and the ride is as they say more stable than the stock tire and the bike takes bumps in the front much better than with the small stock tire. One of the problems is balancing. You may need to go to the balancing beads to have it balanced correctly. It is a great ride. I found it check from one of the vendors. $180 shipped. :eek:

#37 ·
You won't be sorry, wet or dry! :bigthumbsup:

#38 ·
I still regret all the time I wasted waiting for the front to wear out. I will never go back.

#39 ·
Just Do it.:agree:

#53 · (Edited)
#58 ·
Don't know how to put whats in my head to paper like most do but i'm going to give it the old school try.

The 150 / 160 so everybody says its a much nicer tire then the 130 / 140. There is a large difference. Yes the bigger tire does seem to ride softer then the 130/140 and it does.

Now talking safety is another story. I have had the chance to see what the 130 can do in a bind. Its a very stable tire when in a emergency. I have stood the nine up on the front tire from someone cutting me off at about 50 with two up.

Dancing from right to left waiting for this person to do something. Well she stopped right in the middle of my two lanes. Found my hole and took it by going in front of her car. Dropped the back tire down and dragged peg on both side to go around her with out going into the on going traffic.

Now to do that with the 150 / 160 i have the feeling its not going to stand up to the smaller tire. The smaller tires also have a crown in the tire that allows me to drop the bike down and pick it up faster then the bigger tires. I have run the 130, 140, and 150 mind you.

I found that the 130 is NOT for this bike. No matter what i did to the tire I couldn't get it to ride right, so i jumped to the 140. I tire worked well and gave me everything I was looking for.

I'm running the 150 Bridgestone two compound tire. Yes I find the tire ride real soft in your hands and in the corners.
But in the back of my mind I have not had the chance to test this tire in a emergency.

My feelings are that 150 / 160 is going to give way to much. Bigger tire = more air to keep the shape of the tire.
It gets to a point where the setting go way out of whack. More air for safety and its scallops.

I know with the air presser stamped on the tire no longer works when you do mods like this. Taking a tire and putting it where it wasn't built for. I run it bad weather lots of times and can't see myself turning this tire backwards. It now pulls the water into the tire instead of away from the tire in turn can hydra plain.

All that said, I will go back to the 140 for a more stable feeling in my hands and being able to pull the bike down and up faster then you can with the bigger tires.

Wow did I write all of that? lol. Its something I can feel in these tire. And yes I have had all them tire on my bike.

Be safe people, ride smart
Dave@NES.
nestone.us

#59 ·
En boca cerrado no entran moscas...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.