sold on the 260 Rear Metzler,...but the 160 front? help... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sold on the 260 Rear Metzler,...but the 160 front? help...

Default LOVE MY 160/60

Yeah, I was a little doubtful that I would like the big monster on the front but the profile was so great and with the gangster fender it all came together and the ride is as they say more stable than the stock tire and the bike takes bumps in the front much better than with the small stock tire. One of the problems is balancing. You may need to go to the balancing beads to have it balanced correctly. It is a great ride. I found it check from one of the vendors. $180 shipped.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bpoisson55 View Post
    Have you found any 150's?
    This is the one Im planning on getting..Dunno but Im jut not sold on the 160 reverse thing..

How do they handle in the rain??

https://www.denniskirk.com/dunlop/fr...prd/543435.sku
    Last edited by B1gd4wg; 03-26-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B1gd4wg View Post
    This is the one Im planning on getting..Dunno but Im jut not sold on the 160 reverse thing..

Run that tire with a 250 Elite 3!
    2011 M109R LE, Iso grips w/ throttle boss, Smoked turn signals, debadged, Jardine quick release sissy bar for the queen. Ride safe!

thanks for all the input guys!! Just ordered the Metz 260 - 160 setup

They handle fine in the rain. If you'll notice a rear Metzeler reversed has the same tread pattern as a front Metzeler running the proper way. If you don't reverse it it actually looks backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by ducks517 View Post
    Come on guys cut the chit. Now I am thinking of getting the Metz 160 front. GRRRRRRRR Just ordered a new E3 250 rear. Might be nice with new rubber all around even though I still have a lot of tread left on my front.
    LOL I hate when that happens!!!
    Tag the World

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by mindpuddlez View Post
    thanks for all the input guys!! Just ordered the Metz 260 - 160 setup
    You won't be sorry, wet or dry!
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

I still regret all the time I wasted waiting for the front to wear out. I will never go back.
    2008 Candy Max Orange,Chrome wheels, Debadged,poorman's debeaver,Garmin 765T GPS, V-Stream Touring windshield, Corbin Seat, OEM Engine guards,Metz 160/60 front 260/40 rear,Chrome Stebel air horn, Jardine QD Luggage rack and backrest,Orange LEDs

By bujee1 at 2010-07-07

Just Do it.
    RearviewCamera,Flamed Grips&Pegs,Polished Risers w/2in ext.
    Hard Krome Shortened Sideburner,Sumo-X Fat Forktubes, GO-Pro, JSD-3M lowered2.75debeavered,tach relocated,cables relocated grips&throttle bosses RC Polished Component Wheels, Phat front tire170/60/17Phat Rear 280 10 1/2in. rim

Love 250/160 setup no front fender mod even though rear of front fender looks kinda close to tire but no rubbing rides real nice no going back for me

The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
    OK,who has the cheapest price shipped for the Metz 160??

OK,who has the cheapest price shipped for the Metz 160??
    Don't know if it's the best but it's close. I just ordered one from Dennis Kirk for $190

Quote Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
    I"ve got almost 20,000 miles on my existing 160/60ZR18 Avon Storm, and ran a Metzeler Marathon ME880 160/60VR18 for 14,000 miles without incident. It's a mod I can't explain, as you won't get it until you ride it. It absorbs bumps, makes steering more effortless, and improves handling.

-Josh
    Ok, so I am looking to buy a 160 for my front tire. After reading this post, I am more at ease with the step as well. When I google the Metzeler ME880, all I find is the rear tire XXL. Can anyone send me a link to get a great deal on a ME 880 160 front? My bike is in the shop now getting the rims replaced after the MAM incident. Need a tire delivered so I can get it home. Thank you very much for all your help.
    A loaded god complex

Quote Originally Posted by JRIDER View Post
    Ok, so I am looking to buy a 160 for my front tire. After reading this post, I am more at ease with the step as well. When I google the Metzeler ME880, all I find is the rear tire XXL. Can anyone send me a link to get a great deal on a ME 880 160 front? My bike is in the shop now getting the rims replaced after the MAM incident. Need a tire delivered so I can get it home. Thank you very much for all your help.
    No offense but maybe you should do some more reading on the matter! The metz 160 is a rear tire fitted to front wheel.
    Last edited by Latinrascal; 08-07-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Latinrascal View Post
    No offense but maybe you should do some more reading on the matter! The metz 160 is a rear tire fitted to front wheel.
    Well patner, no offense either, but I am trying to learn here. I just bought my first M109 a few months ago. And after the MAM, everyone was recommending I get a 160 front. I have never ran a tire that big on the front of my bike before. Thought I would ask for some friendly advice on here. All the posts I have found on here so far just refer to the size of the tire... Have not found one that says it is a rear yet.
    A loaded god complex

You'll be looking for a 160/60VR18 Metzeler Marathon ME880. It is a rear tire, but when you have it mounted, you'll mount it against the arrow.

-Josh

Well patner, no offense either, but I am trying to learn here. I just bought my first M109 a few months ago. And after the MAM, everyone was recommending I get a 160 front. I have never ran a tire that big on the front of my bike before. Thought I would ask for some friendly advice on here. All the posts I have found on here so far just refer to the size of the tire... Have not found one that says it is a rear yet.
    Just wanted to make sure you had your eyes open is all especially when doing a mod that can potentially be a safety concern. There is a lot of older post on here so just take alittle time and read through and ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Latinrascal View Post
    Just wanted to make sure you had your eyes open is all especially when doing a mod that can potentially be a safety concern. There is a lot of older post on here so just take alittle time and read through and ask questions.
    Thank you very much. I do appreciate the help and direction. I will keep digging the best I can for pros and cons. Have not found any cons yet except for someone who had some quality issues with the Metz (dry rot).
    A loaded god complex

Very Active Member BAD BOY M109R's Avatar

I run the metz 160 love it. Tho i had to raise my fender rocks hitting it. Tho I live on a gravel road ...
    BONE STOCK

Very Active Member

sorry guys, I do not get it. What is a catch in REVERS installation? what do you mean by that?

thanksss

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by mindpuddlez View Post
    I've read where some people didnt do any mods to the fender at all....just mounted the 160 in reverse direction. Think im sold on the 160 front.....so what about fender mods....a must??

Quote Originally Posted by bocare View Post
    sorry guys, I do not get it. What is a catch in REVERS installation? what do you mean by that?

thanksss

Bob
    The tire is designed to rotate in a specific direction to account for "applied forces." As a rear tire, the "Applied force" would be acceleration. A front tire's "Applied force" would be braking. To use a rear tire as a front tire, you have to mount it reversed to account for the design of the tire and the forces it will work with/against. Now, having said that, there are several members on the board who run rear tires up front with the arrow with no ill-effects. Since no negative results have been made on either side, it seems to be a matter of personal preference as how to mount the tire.

-Josh

Thank you very much. I do appreciate the help and direction. I will keep digging the best I can for pros and cons. Have not found any cons yet except for someone who had some quality issues with the Metz (dry rot).
    I think that was the only con (dry rot) with the exception of some members catching hell trying to find a shop to mount the tires for them that I have read about. Also from all I have read Not one person has said they would go back or has complained about handling issues.

Default Front fender adapter

Here is Rainey's front fender adapter. When I do this Mod I will use these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-M109R...#ht_690wt_1271
    Last edited by Gsxrrobb; 08-07-2012 at 02:55 AM. Reason: word change
    Out of every one hundred men you send me, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make good the battle...... Ah, but the one....one is a warrior.... and he will bring the others back. -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
    The tire is designed to rotate in a specific direction to account for "applied forces." As a rear tire, the "Applied force" would be acceleration. A front tire's "Applied force" would be braking. To use a rear tire as a front tire, you have to mount it reversed to account for the design of the tire and the forces it will work with/against. Now, having said that, there are several members on the board who run rear tires up front with the arrow with no ill-effects. Since no negative results have been made on either side, it seems to be a matter of personal preference as how to mount the tire.

-Josh
    And Metzler recomends running it backward for front mounting.

Very Active Member WindyCityDave's Avatar

Default Metzler 160 mounting instructions

See this post, thanks to STL-WhiteSox, oh wait I mean STL-TIGERS

http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/prod...q/default.page

WCD

Quote Originally Posted by Gsxrrobb View Post
    Here is Rainey's front fender adapter. When I do this Mod I will use these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-M109R...#ht_690wt_1271
    2 others have them also I got mine from fatblack http://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...der+extensions
    http://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158235

Ditto. Just do it and you'll thank us,
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    I couldn't agree more with this statement
    FOUNDER, HALO NATION ALLIANCE

Very Active Member She's real fine my 109's Avatar

Don't know how to put whats in my head to paper like most do but i'm going to give it the old school try.

The 150 / 160 so everybody says its a much nicer tire then the 130 / 140. There is a large difference. Yes the bigger tire does seem to ride softer then the 130/140 and it does.

Now talking safety is another story. I have had the chance to see what the 130 can do in a bind. Its a very stable tire when in a emergency. I have stood the nine up on the front tire from someone cutting me off at about 50 with two up.

Dancing from right to left waiting for this person to do something. Well she stopped right in the middle of my two lanes. Found my hole and took it by going in front of her car. Dropped the back tire down and dragged peg on both side to go around her with out going into the on going traffic.

Now to do that with the 150 / 160 i have the feeling its not going to stand up to the smaller tire. The smaller tires also have a crown in the tire that allows me to drop the bike down and pick it up faster then the bigger tires. I have run the 130, 140, and 150 mind you.

I found that the 130 is NOT for this bike. No matter what i did to the tire I couldn't get it to ride right, so i jumped to the 140. I tire worked well and gave me everything I was looking for.

I'm running the 150 Bridgestone two compound tire. Yes I find the tire ride real soft in your hands and in the corners.
    But in the back of my mind I have not had the chance to test this tire in a emergency.

My feelings are that 150 / 160 is going to give way to much. Bigger tire = more air to keep the shape of the tire.
    It gets to a point where the setting go way out of whack. More air for safety and its scallops.

I know with the air presser stamped on the tire no longer works when you do mods like this. Taking a tire and putting it where it wasn't built for. I run it bad weather lots of times and can't see myself turning this tire backwards. It now pulls the water into the tire instead of away from the tire in turn can hydra plain.

All that said, I will go back to the 140 for a more stable feeling in my hands and being able to pull the bike down and up faster then you can with the bigger tires.

Wow did I write all of that? lol. Its something I can feel in these tire. And yes I have had all them tire on my bike.

Be safe people, ride smart
    Dave@NES.
    nestone.us
    Good combo for the nine. 265/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport and Metz 130/70/18 front. Try it, youll like it.
    What other people think of you is none of your business.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of another.

En boca cerrado no entran moscas...

Quote Originally Posted by HyperPete View Post
    En boca cerrado no entran moscas...
    jajajajajajaja.... En boca cerrada no entran muchas cosas .