Stupid question, light bulb....

Thread: Stupid question, light bulb....

Default Stupid question, light bulb....

I just got a pair fo 09 LE front turn signals, I was going to get the 1157 LED switchback bulbs for the them but these signals dont take 1157. I called a dealer to see what they take and they tell me 1157 but there not. Anybody know what these things take? 1157 as two nipples on the sides. one higher then the other. These have 3 nipples. heres some pics....

2004 MSX109R - Screaming Egg Roll Edition - Custom carburetor intakes - Modified Carburetors - T3 Turbo - Custom JetKit - Custom 2-1-2-4 "Racing Exhaust" - Custom cam pulleys - Dubble Bubble Windshield - Frame Sliders - 24" Stretched Swingarm

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Vinnie is there a # stamped in the casing?

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

i had replaced one of my damaged front turn signals with another used one i bought from someone.
    my bulb that i took out from my 2011 LE had the 3 prong setup... the one i got from a member had 2 prongs... looking at the housing looks like they changed the seat for the bulb somewhere along the line. i think you can just file down the extra prong on the bulb and it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by jream View Post
    i had replaced one of my damaged front turn signals with another used one i bought from someone.
    my bulb that i took out from my 2011 LE had the 3 prong setup... the one i got from a member had 2 prongs... looking at the housing looks like they changed the seat for the bulb somewhere along the line. i think you can just file down the extra prong on the bulb and it should work.
    Nope, the 1157 bulb mounting pins are directly across from each other as in 6 and 12 in the clock position.

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Very Active Member

take the buld to advance auto aor a parts store, going to be a import bulb on the lamp isle just cannot remember the number
    2014 Harley Davidson cvo road king

i'll have to look at my setup... looked like the bulb would mount if it didnt have the upper dimple

Quote Originally Posted by Big-B View Post
    Nope, the 1157 bulb mounting pins are directly across from each other as in 6 and 12 in the clock position.

Vinnie is there a # stamped in the casing?
    Nope, just watts and volts

Yep your right. I just wanna some LED switchback bulbs for these. Why did they do these to the LE's? Doesnt make sense.
    2004 MSX109R - Screaming Egg Roll Edition - Custom carburetor intakes - Modified Carburetors - T3 Turbo - Custom JetKit - Custom 2-1-2-4 "Racing Exhaust" - Custom cam pulleys - Dubble Bubble Windshield - Frame Sliders - 24" Stretched Swingarm

Quote Originally Posted by jream View Post
    i'll have to look at my setup... looked like the bulb would mount if it didnt have the upper dimple
    Upper dimple? They are spaced at 4,8 and 12 o'clock positions.

Don't see how that's possible

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    Nope, just watts and volts

Yep your right. I just wanna some LED switchback bulbs for these. Why did they do these to the LE's? Doesnt make sense.
    Why does any manufactuer do what they do? They want your money!! I agree though, really stupid.

Vin, check here, they offer a lot of bulbs, maybe you'll find something
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/

Why does any manufactuer do what they do? They want your money!! I agree though, really stupid.

Vin, check here, they offer a lot of bulbs, maybe you'll find something
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/
    thanks man but I already checked there. They have a shop by bulb and nothing. Not even a number to call them. Im just gonna rig something up. Maybe this is what really makes an LE a LE??

Vinnie, others on here have made a regular 1157 bulb work. They ground off one of the indexing prongs to do it, but I'm not sure which one. If two are close to lining up you can probably figure out which one to take off. One peg would work as long as it lets you index the contacts correctly.

I'll see if I can find a thread on it. There was one that had pictures of the difference and how to make them work.

Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself.

Well, I can't find the thread showing how it was modified. I did read where some just forced the standard bulb in the 3 pin socket. Apparently the 3 pin bulb has a 15mm base instead of the standard 2 pin 9/16" base.

If you can't get the bulb to index, I would just swap out the socket from a standard non-LE front signal.

Edit: Found this, and it may be the bulb the LE's use.
    http://www.customdynamics.com/bulb_i...ation_help.htm
    Look at bulb BAZ15d-3

That won't help with getting your LED's in but maybe someone else can use the link.
    Last edited by Zoom; 03-20-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself.

If I remember right, one member ground down 2 of the tabs on the bulb and just used one to hold it in there. Not sure how secure it would be. Hopefully someone has found a better way?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Just use the lens Vinnie. I might have a couple of them as I bought an LE set of signals years ago and just reused the lenses. PM if you want me to look. Some one altered the bulb, but to me it would not seat properly and may cause issues down the road. How many are you looking for?

Here is a sharper image pic that I posted up here years ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LEbulb.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	62870
    Last edited by rynosback; 03-21-2012 at 12:35 AM.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE

Very Active Member BAD BOY M109R's Avatar

I would just take it to a auto parts store they will be able to match it up...
    BONE STOCK

Very Active Member

http://www.customdynamics.com/bulb_i...ation_help.htm

This page shows them. They also list it as fitting several "newer" bikes. I would say most Honda, yamaha, Kaw or suk dealer should have them.