Gutting a 2008...not debaffle, full gut.
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Gutting a 2008...not debaffle, full gut.

  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    58

    Default Gutting a 2008...not debaffle, full gut.

    Hey guys, I see a TON of talk about debaffling...been there and done that. This spring it's time to gut these bad boys. However, I am not finding a lot of chat about gutting a 2008. I understand that it may be a bit more difficult than a 2006 or 07. With that said, what tools will I need? Can I use a hole-saw to cut the furthest back part to start? I guess I'm hoping someone here can guide me in the right direction.
    2006 M109R (sold), 2008 M109R2 (Current)

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr150 View Post
    Hey guys, I see a TON of talk about debaffling...been there and done that. This spring it's time to gut these bad boys. However, I am not finding a lot of chat about gutting a 2008. I understand that it may be a bit more difficult than a 2006 or 07. With that said, what tools will I need? Can I use a hole-saw to cut the furthest back part to start? I guess I'm hoping someone here can guide me in the right direction.

    I too spent hours on here searching (and on youtube) and I can tell you this, it ain't easy. I have an 11 and tried to do this last night. Gutting without the right tools is a pain in the ass. The top pipe you have to cut all the metal out to about the weld and the use a debarring tool to smooth it all out. The little pipe you see sticking out is welded to the baffle inside. You can see about 6 gatling gun looking pipes inside the main muffler body and each one of those is welded to the center tube and then that is tack welded to the inside body of the muffler. I didn't have the right tools to even come close so i just ordered a new exhaust system

    I would say by looking at it the "best" way to do it would be to use a torch on the top muffler and cut it out to the welds and clean it up. Then use a really long air chisel or something like that to hammer out the baffles. They come out in pieces, be great if they just slid out but everything is welded inside so it doesn't move or rattle around (how awful would that sound be).

    The bottom pipe is the same way difference is you can cut the 3 tack welds that hold the tip on (the top is all one piece, no tip) and then with the tip gone you can just sawzall or torch the end of the muffler off and then hammer out all the insides. Then you'll have to tack weld the tip back on or drill a hole and put a screw in it (kinda shade tree mechanic right there) but doable.

    Honestly i don't know about the older ones but the newer ones appear to be a pain. I tried to sawzall the end out with a good metal blade and it still didn't want to come out. My other thought before I gave up was to just cut a few inches straight off the end of the exhaust leaving a straight look instead of the angled tips. Then I would have the whole opening to try and work the innards out. But at that point it was 3am, my blade was dying, my cutoff wheel inventory was dwindling, My battery was dying in the saw and my patience was wearing thin so a brand new setup is on it's way.

    A secondary option is to do the Scorpion tips. You basically cut both mufflers off and leave a little nub sticking out to put the tips on and tack weld in place. Tips are just under $200 on DLP. I personally didn't care for the look but some people love them.

    Apparentl

  4. #3
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Holy crap! Maybe I should just drill out some more holes, haha. Thanks for taking all the time to reply. It's MUCH appreciated. I will refer back to this when I pull the bike out soon. Here's the million dollar question...mine is a 2008, and I understand that older 2008's have the old style exhaust. Is there any way to tell if it's the older one without drilling everything? EDIT-- I just realized I could probably look through one of the drilled holes, no?
    2006 M109R (sold), 2008 M109R2 (Current)

  5. #4
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr150 View Post
    Holy crap! Maybe I should just drill out some more holes, haha. Thanks for taking all the time to reply. It's MUCH appreciated. I will refer back to this when I pull the bike out soon. Here's the million dollar question...mine is a 2008, and I understand that older 2008's have the old style exhaust. Is there any way to tell if it's the older one without drilling everything? EDIT-- I just realized I could probably look through one of the drilled holes, no?
    Yup look thru with a flashlight. If you see kind of a gatling gun looking setup around the middle pipe then I bet yours is the same as mine. It's not impossible but really not worth all the work. I mean aside from the money part of buying a new system the exhaust comes off the bike in 15 minutes (the whole system). I didn't even remove a single heat shield to take it off. Remove seat, remove plastic covers, undo about 8 bolts and 2 plugs and it's on the floor...

  6. #5
    Very Active Member antmor69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rockdale, Texas
    Posts
    5,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantomx2k View Post
    I too spent hours on here searching (and on youtube) and I can tell you this, it ain't easy. I have an 11 and tried to do this last night. Gutting without the right tools is a pain in the ass. The top pipe you have to cut all the metal out to about the weld and the use a debarring tool to smooth it all out. The little pipe you see sticking out is welded to the baffle inside. You can see about 6 gatling gun looking pipes inside the main muffler body and each one of those is welded to the center tube and then that is tack welded to the inside body of the muffler. I didn't have the right tools to even come close so i just ordered a new exhaust system

    I would say by looking at it the "best" way to do it would be to use a torch on the top muffler and cut it out to the welds and clean it up. Then use a really long air chisel or something like that to hammer out the baffles. They come out in pieces, be great if they just slid out but everything is welded inside so it doesn't move or rattle around (how awful would that sound be).

    The bottom pipe is the same way difference is you can cut the 3 tack welds that hold the tip on (the top is all one piece, no tip) and then with the tip gone you can just sawzall or torch the end of the muffler off and then hammer out all the insides. Then you'll have to tack weld the tip back on or drill a hole and put a screw in it (kinda shade tree mechanic right there) but doable.

    Honestly i don't know about the older ones but the newer ones appear to be a pain. I tried to sawzall the end out with a good metal blade and it still didn't want to come out. My other thought before I gave up was to just cut a few inches straight off the end of the exhaust leaving a straight look instead of the angled tips. Then I would have the whole opening to try and work the innards out. But at that point it was 3am, my blade was dying, my cutoff wheel inventory was dwindling, My battery was dying in the saw and my patience was wearing thin so a brand new setup is on it's way.

    A secondary option is to do the Scorpion tips. You basically cut both mufflers off and leave a little nub sticking out to put the tips on and tack weld in place. Tips are just under $200 on DLP. I personally didn't care for the look but some people love them.

    Apparentl
    I'd think twice about using a torch. I've got a friend that did that and ruined the chrome on the outside of the pipes. It's too hot.

  7. #6
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antmor69 View Post
    I'd think twice about using a torch. I've got a friend that did that and ruined the chrome on the outside of the pipes. It's too hot.

    I agree you gotta be really good with a torch and use low heat, the metal isn't that thick. It's also best to remove the system from the bike before you go ape on it so you don't risk damaging the jugs...

  8. #7
    Very Active Member SilverSurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr150 View Post
    Hey guys, I see a TON of talk about debaffling...been there and done that. This spring it's time to gut these bad boys. However, I am not finding a lot of chat about gutting a 2008. I understand that it may be a bit more difficult than a 2006 or 07. With that said, what tools will I need? Can I use a hole-saw to cut the furthest back part to start? I guess I'm hoping someone here can guide me in the right direction.
    MY $.02.....Don't do it bro, by the time you're done you will want to put a butter knife through your eye socket. Having done it, it's way too much time and effort expended for a louder exhaust, unless you have all the tools and are very good at cutting, grinding, etc and have ****loads of patience. I agree with Phantom, just buy a different exhaust.
    Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it....Mark Twain
    Gray 2008 M109R TRE, K&N, debeavered, gutted, custom Punisher intakes/key/derby, Fi2000r, PIAA, Air horn, Iso stilletos, Scythe mirrors, BackOff XP, P1 modulator, Irate Mesh Grill, LE tail,signals

  9. #8
    Very Active Member She's real fine my 109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Westport Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    Start out by taking the top pipe off the bike. grind the back plate out to the weld and pull the plate right off.

    Long driver of some sort for braking the tacks off the baffle outer wall leaving the outer wall because there's isolation between the outer wall to the baffle and the chrome outer pipe.


    The bottom one you got to grind off the tack that holds the tip on and start grinding. The baffle is tacked right to the outer chrome pipe.

    In the end after its de-baffled their all the same. The top pipe you have to leave the outer pipe to the baffle and the lower you have to brake the tacks off the outer pipe. And don't forget to tack the lower tip back on.

    Nice sound if you do do it.


    Dave@NES.
    nestone.us
    Good combo for the nine. 265/40/18 or P265/45R 18 Michelin Pilot Sport and Metz 130/70/18 front. Try it, youll like it.
    What other people think of you is none of your business.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of another.

  10. #9
    Very Active Member rockfordrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    rockford Il.
    Posts
    3,139

    Default

    What do you mean by de-baffle been there done that? A full gut you will need to remove the cat and this takes some serious metal working. If you mean you want to de-baffel then you will need too cut out the rear wall ( air saw works best) you will go through 4 or 5 blades per pipe. best method to remove the gatlin gun is an air chisel with a 12 inch tip. you will not be able to reach the very front wall with this though. but in my opinnion it is not needed. doing this will give you a very low rumble to the exhaust which will set off car alarms.and get rid of any raspy sound. how ever on deceleration some do not like the sound of it.
    Bully Bagger

  11. #10
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockfordrider View Post
    What do you mean by de-baffle been there done that? A full gut you will need to remove the cat and this takes some serious metal working. If you mean you want to de-baffel then you will need too cut out the rear wall ( air saw works best) you will go through 4 or 5 blades per pipe. best method to remove the gatlin gun is an air chisel with a 12 inch tip. you will not be able to reach the very front wall with this though. but in my opinnion it is not needed. doing this will give you a very low rumble to the exhaust which will set off car alarms.and get rid of any raspy sound. how ever on deceleration some do not like the sound of it.
    Seems most people call a debaffle drilling out the pipes. I've done that. Drilling holes...

    I decided to try and find a used set of Cobra Swepts.
    2006 M109R (sold), 2008 M109R2 (Current)

  12. #11
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Posts
    246

    Default

    In case your wondering since I had new exhaust coming I was tinkering with cutting the ends off, here is what it looks like inside:


  13. #12
    Active Member guitarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    Posts
    73

    Default

    I gutted mine completely..I used a saws all to cut through and removed the insides with a little effort. To me, trying to drill out the insides etc to debaffle was way more difficult. If I had it to do over again, I would simply remove the pipes and use a mider saw with a metal blade, using tape around the pipe to keep my pipes straight. I probably would have also set the blade at an angle to give the pipes a slashed look...THe reason I did this is because you get a big throaty loud sound and get to keep the nice looks of the stock pipes along with all the heat shield protecting for yourself and a passenger.
    Nathan Ogden
    www.myspace.com/nathanogden

    "Harley-Davidson's are like my ex wife, loud and high maintenance, but no performance".

  14. #13
    Very Active Member Robert May's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Picayune, MS.39466
    Posts
    1,436

    Default

    Is it hard? Hell yes!!! Can it be done? YES!!! I had a 4 foot steel drift that i used to stick in the center and wiggle around hammer on and wiggle some more after I drilled the 1/2 inch holes. It's going to take some time and make sure your bike is secured. I liked the sound but eventually went with some scorpion tips.
    Here's a vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XF9Ko7RWxM

    If you want really loud cut the cans down and reweld the tips on. I had to do that when I put superman9"s bike together cause the pipe did not come in.

    http://www.m109riders.com/forums/att...1&d=1277060575




    Name:  2008 baffle infor.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  31.3 KB

  15. #14
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
    I gutted mine completely..I used a saws all to cut through and removed the insides with a little effort. To me, trying to drill out the insides etc to debaffle was way more difficult. If I had it to do over again, I would simply remove the pipes and use a mider saw with a metal blade, using tape around the pipe to keep my pipes straight. I probably would have also set the blade at an angle to give the pipes a slashed look...THe reason I did this is because you get a big throaty loud sound and get to keep the nice looks of the stock pipes along with all the heat shield protecting for yourself and a passenger.
    Hey, a couple questions for you. How did you get a sawsall blade that far in? Also, what did you mean by slash-cut look? Aren't you just cutting out the baffels inside the pipe?
    2006 M109R (sold), 2008 M109R2 (Current)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •