Speedo and Tach Lighting Mod
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speedo and Tach Lighting Mod

Default Speedo and Tach Lighting Mod

Hi all, just wanted to share with guys the step by step procedure on how to change the LEDs on the speedo and tach. I had the classical Orange but to my personal taste is a very depressing color and also red and orange is hard for me to read it at night. I used the PLCC2's Surface Mounts LEDs. After reviewing the voltage drop range and wavelength did some Ohmís law calculations base on the resistors already installed by the factory (just to be on the safe side). I used all the ESD safety precautions when doing this MOD because you have to expose the "PC board" of course and components could be damage by static if not handled safely.

SORRY I DONíT HAVE PICS FOR THE TACH PROCEDURE GOT DISTRACTED AFTER I FOUND OUT I HAD TO REMOVE THE HANDLEBAR

First I started by removing the speedo and tach once again: I HAD TO REMOVED THE HANDLE BAR as directed by the service manual.
    I donít have pictures of removing the back white plate but refer to the reassembly portion of this threat it looks the same
    Once the face plate is removed the board can be removed freely from back plate.

Motor for the speed needle can be removed by removing all its solder on the 4 pins at the center . I replaced the Board by itself back in the black faceplate (bottom pic) to protect the needle from getting damage, being hit or spin roughly.

When the needle component is freed and all solder is removed I proceeded to remove the 4 screws to disassemble the board from the face plate frame by removing soldering on the digital screens.

Once out, this piece needs to be handled with extreme care since it holds the needle motor and to digital screens. I then proceeded to replace the LEDs making sure I followed the polarization. Basically as you removed them install them the same way they came out. The board has a triangle show where the dash mark on the LED should be placed. The blue circles indicate another location for LEDs. I was pretty sure this board was worked before because those locations (circled blue) were already empty. I left those empty because of bleeding through the edges and at night time could be a little annoying.

After removing LEDs clean the pads to install the new LEDs.

After installing all new LEDs the correct way making sure once again the polarization is correct and that you have done a clean job proceed to install the faceplate to the board.

NOTE: The brown stain around the LEDs is not a big deal. I'm using high quality FAA approved Flux. Boards are normally printed green, this one is printed white on the top as you see and the bottom is normal green. Green is always gloss so it wont retain any flux. The white does. It's a nature thing of manufacturers.

I put them together by soldering together the needle motor and digital screens to the board (marked in red).

Its reassembly TIME!!!
    After the previous step I proceeded to install the back plate and faceplate. Harness goes through the rubber grommet which is fitted in the back plate and then zip tied to the metal ring hook which is also attached to the back plate with two screws.

After everything installed back together ran different tests. I even put it on my snare drum and play some blast speed Metal on it on my drumsÖ
    AndÖ the final product all finished. Dodger blue baby!!!

Hope this post provides some assistance to whoever is planning on doing this Mod. If any of you are interested you can send me a PM for advice and Iím also able to do it if any of you are interested. Excellent rates on returned shipping available.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Damn nice job. congrats. Probably more then most of us will undertake. Oh and, you don't have to take off the bars to remove the tach. How long did it take you?

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big-B View Post
    Damn nice job. congrats. Probably more then most of us will undertake. Oh and, you don't have to take off the bars to remove the tach. How long did it take you?
    Thanks Big-B. I was actually looking for a link that would tell me how to remove it without getting the HB out but I did all in less than 48 hours.

WOW, nice job!! I'm with Big-B, probably more than most of us non-electronic guru types could do but Nice job!! Bet you could farm out your services for those that have specific color schemes on their rides! Look'in good there Bro!!!
    Go Big or Go Home
    '07 RED -
    Cycle House Big Air intakes, Debadged/Debeavered, PC III, Kuy grips and pegs, 50 watt driving lights, 260 Metz., sport windshield, chrome wheels, Gen III Knight Rider, Drivers Backrest, Dragon Tail Light, Derby and Side Lic Frame, +2 risers, 5" Cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by orvin55 View Post
    Thanks Big-B. I was actually looking for a link that would tell me how to remove it without getting the HB out but I did all in less than 48 hours.
    Man that is a lot of time! Very impressive none the less!!

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Man that is a lot of time! Very impressive none the less!!
    Well I'm talking from taking the first screw out from the bike til re-installing the last one. The whole process.

Quote Originally Posted by Captnpirate View Post
    WOW, nice job!! I'm with Big-B, probably more than most of us non-electronic guru types could do but Nice job!! Bet you could farm out your services for those that have specific color schemes on their rides! Look'in good there Bro!!!
    Thanks Dennis!!!

Default WOW!!!!

Nice Work

That looks great nice job!

09 White LE with lots of mods to come lol !

hell im thinking of tearing mine out now.. nice work.

You had me at Soldering Iron!

Well I'm talking from taking the first screw out from the bike til re-installing the last one. The whole process.
    LOL, yeah I kinda figured as much.

LOL Big-B

Thank you all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by STL-TIGER View Post
    You had me at Soldering Iron!
    LOL, oh boy!

Very Active Member

Great job, more than I would risk tackling lol can do the mechanical work but not soldering on those boards lol..got scared and sent mine off to be done lol...really impressive work you did for sure
    2014 Harley Davidson cvo road king

Very nice. Ive wanted to do this since i got my 9, but didnt know exactly which LED's to go with.

What are the specs on the LED's you used?

Thanks

Kyle

I've tackled quite a few mod's on the 9 but that one is way over my head! I just sent my speedo out to Blue gauges last week for green led's. $45 for just the speedo isn't bad and I don't need to do the stock tach since my new tach is already green. Great job and nice write up!
    "Blaze"

Quote Originally Posted by Giddyup109 View Post
    I've tackled quite a few mod's on the 9 but that one is way over my head! I just sent my speedo out to Blue gauges last week for green led's. $45 for just the speedo isn't bad and I don't need to do the stock tach since my new tach is already green. Great job and nice write up!
    Post pics when you get it back Mike, I wanna see how the green looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon-109 View Post
    Very nice. Ive wanted to do this since i got my 9, but didnt know exactly which LED's to go with.

Thanks

Kyle
    dido

Post pics when you get it back Mike, I wanna see how the green looks.
    You just wanna see my new analog tach glowing green that's all!
    "Blaze"

You Sir have big stones or no fear either way
    ]

You just wanna see my new analog tach glowing green that's all!
    That's news to me. But yeah that too

Quote Originally Posted by Demon-109 View Post

Thanks

Kyle
    Demon 109 they all have a different range. Since this is a diode in this case that emits light (not to get to scientific and throw you out) it has an ultraviolet combination and an infrared wavelength to generate light with high brightness. Diode is polarized forward bias to generate light and depending on the combination with the photons it creates different colors. The PLCC-2 LEDs are the ones used by the designer of this board. They are PLCC-2 from factory. Red, Orange, Yellowish colors have less voltage range while on the other hand Blue, Green whites have a higher V range. What you have to play now is with resistance. The more resistance less light and less resistance more light just like water in a hose. That's why it's good to know figure out what resistors on the board apply to each LED and from there you go applying some Ohm's law. It could happen that you install some LEDs and them you could be like DARN they are too bright or TOO LOW. I hope you get my explanation. Sorry if got too technical it's but write me if you have questions. I don't have a problem answering and helping you learn.

Do they come green out of stock? Thanks for the kind words

Do they come green out of stock? Thanks for the kind words
    I'm not sure what that means? I sent my stock speedo to get new green leds put in it from a company that does them and I replaced my stock tach with an aftermarket analog one that has green leds in it already.

Sent from my Thunderbolt
    "Blaze"

I'm not sure what that means? I sent my stock speedo to get new green leds put in it from a company that does them and I replaced my stock tach with an aftermarket analog one that has green leds in it already.

Sent from my Thunderbolt
    Got it, Sorry I misunderstood. That's awesome I want to see pics as well

Just want to say thanks everyone! If any of you friends are interested I can work a price of $75. That's including a next day delivery through FedEx when I send the items back which I'm giving it out for only $5. I do that so we can keep this M109 journey in the family. Peace all!

I had mine done though Blue Gauges also. And what a great write up also.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE

Very Active Member Tn_soldier1977's Avatar

Just want to say thanks everyone! If any of you friends are interested I can work a price of $75. That's including a next day delivery through FedEx when I send the items back which I'm giving it out for only $5. I do that so we can keep this M109 journey in the family. Peace all!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tach.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	59605 In the picture above, why is the right side of the tach illuminated red? Does the $75 include the speedo and Tach?
    Some times there's justice, Some times there's just us!

Awesome write-up bro,and thanks for sharing this with us. That's something I might tackle when I know I have a couple weeks to do it over a few times. I'd never get it right the first time.

Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself.