Full face vs half shell helmet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full face vs half shell helmet.

Very Active Member Attitude Adjuster's Avatar

Default Full face vs half shell helmet.

Ladies and gentelmen,

I would like to have your opinion. I have almost always ridden with a full face helmet however I purchased a half shell last year. This year I went to bike week in Myrtle Beach and we rode without helmets and I was able to hear so much more around me including my 9. Today I put on the half shell and took a quick ride to retrieive my full face and omg the wind noise was deafening at only 70mph. The helmet fits but it also felt that it would lift off of my head if I went a faster or turned the wrong way (maybe I am being paranoid on that one). I also couldn't really hear the bike due to that wind noise. As soon as I put on the full face everything was muted but I didn't feel as connected to the bike.

With that said I have some questions.

Do you prefer a full face or half shell?
    Do you find a benefit from one over the other?
    Am I paranoid thinking that the half shell will lift off?
    What do I do about the wind noise?

Thanks
    Doubt turns to respect with one twist of the throttle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Full only in the rain, and cold months..half the rest of the time...for $5 you can buy like a ten pack of ear plugs! They work great..still get the wind and some feed back but not soo much it hurts your ears...

FULLFACE ALL THE WAY !!!!!
    I have a friend that had a (HALF ) on and went down and his face up...........................JMOA good luck with that ...
    GROUNDED FOR LIFE

When I bounce around town which is usually at a slower, more relaxed pace,,I love to wear my half shell without a dought.

When I go on a longer trip though that will put me at highway speeds and riding real aggresive it's full face all the time..

Very Active Member

"all the gear, all the time" rode ONE TIME in sturgis without a lid last year cause everyone else was dong it, and wrecked. Didn't get hurt too badly, just a little rash. I think it was a sign tho...

I guess I'm saying, go with the full face all the time. It's what I do now.

Quote Originally Posted by sfmichel View Post
    Full only in the rain, and cold months..half the rest of the time...for $5 you can buy like a ten pack of ear plugs! They work great..still get the wind and some feed back but not soo much it hurts your ears...
    Thanks. Can you till hear the traffic with the plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by giveMongoBall View Post
    "all the gear, all the time" rode ONE TIME in sturgis without a lid last year cause everyone else was dong it, and wrecked. Didn't get hurt too badly, just a little rash. I think it was a sign tho...

I guess I'm saying, go with the full face all the time. It's what I do now.

You are right. I rarely rode my sportbike without all of my gear.

Quote Originally Posted by L.T.T. View Post
    When I bounce around town which is usually at a slower, more relaxed pace,,I love to wear my half shell without a dought.

When I go on a longer trip though that will put me at highway speeds and riding real aggresive it's full face all the time..

Where I live there are two major roads that the speed limit is 55. For the most part I ride a little faster and traffic is always a factor. It looks like I will continue to use my full face. Thank you.

I like the look of what my wife calls the "half-brain" helmet but I'm more comfortable with the full face. It's quieter and you don't have to deal with getting hit in the face with bugs ( not fun!)

It's good rule to dress for the crash rather than the ride.
    Cruising around town I'm ok with not having full face protection.
    Not so much on the freeway at 75 mph!
    2008 Candy Max Orange,Chrome wheels, Debadged,poorman's debeaver,V-Stream Touring windshield, Corbin Seat, OEM Engine guards,Metz 160/60 front 260/40 rear,Chrome Stebel air horn, 2011 Victory Cross Country, 2003 Yamaha Roadstar, too many mods to list

By bujee1 at 2010-07-07

Quote Originally Posted by Attitude Adjuster View Post
    ...With that said I have some questions.

1 - Do you prefer a full face or half shell?
    2 - Do you find a benefit from one over the other?
    3 - Am I paranoid thinking that the half shell will lift off?
    4 - What do I do about the wind noise?

Thanks
    People are different and like/dislike different things. Guess you should go with the one YOU feel better with. Do you prefer being more protected? How about the level of comfort? How important is that to you? The peace of mind of being more protected with the full face will make the difference for some. Like you said, the feeling of being more connected to the bike with the half helmet for other means everything while riding it! Go figure!!! But ok... You've asked direct questions for each member so I'll give you my personal answers:

1 - I prefer a half helmet while in the city at slower speeds and a full face for the highway.
    2 - Yes. Full face will give you more comfort and protection while the half helmet will make you "feel" the ride better.
    3 - If you strap it correctly you won't have problems.
    4 - You can take it like a man or you can buy yourself a set of earplugs. That helps with the noise issue. I also know riders that uses their Ipods while riding. I personally am afraid of that and would not recommend it. But again, whatever floats your boat my man!

Ride Safe. Ride in PEACE!

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    2 - Yes. Full face will give you more comfort and protection while the half helmet will make you "feel" the ride better.
    Well..although a proponent of the full face, I'm going to disagree there. They aren't very comfortable to wear. They're hot, they'll mess up your hair and squish your face a little. I think one of the biggest reasons people don't like full face helmets is the discomfort they come with.

1/2 all the time! No ear plugs in town, but do on highway.

Quote Originally Posted by giveMongoBall View Post
    Well..although a proponent of the full face, I'm going to disagree there. They aren't very comfortable to wear. They're hot, they'll mess up your hair and squish your face a little. I think one of the biggest reasons people don't like full face helmets is the discomfort they come with.
    I see your point bro... I meant comfort against the elements (wind, rain, insects and etc.) sorry for not being more clear.

Peace!

I prefer no helmet, but the girlfriend wants me to wear a helmet, so we compromised and I wear a half. I love it! Road noise doesn't bother me.

I have yet to wear a half helmet that was as comfortable is my shoei rf1100 full face is. If it's hot out I just flip the screen up and that's all I need to stay cool. It's like a soft breathable comfortable pillow is around my face at all times.

I think you're asking the wrong question. Maybe it should be "what helmet should I have on when I am thrown from my machine?"

I have been thrown and my helmet and face shield looked like it had been thru a tree chipper. My helmet saved my life. Even so, I was in the hospital a week!

There is a cost of "looking cool" on a motorcycle. I think you can look cool with a full face helmet. I have said in other posts: If you don't believe me, gently take a watermelon and drop it from a car doing 50 MPH. That's your head - now, do you want it in a half helmet?

Any how, I think you already know that or you wouldn't be asking. Good luck in any choice you make.

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    I think you're asking the wrong question. Maybe it should be "what helmet should I have on when I am thrown from my machine?"

I have been thrown and my helmet and face shield looked like it had been thru a tree chipper. My helmet saved my life. Even so, I was in the hospital a week!

There is a cost of "looking cool" on a motorcycle. I think you can look cool with a full face helmet. I have said in other posts: If you don't believe me, gently take a watermelon and drop it from a car doing 50 MPH. That's your head - now, do you want it in a half helmet?

Any how, I think you already know that or you wouldn't be asking. Good luck in any choice you make.
    +1

If you get informed there are lots of great full face helmet that are comfortable and have great ventalation. FULL FACE ALL THE WAY!!

The 9 is my second suzuki cruiser (c90) and I rode that one with a full face 100% of the time and 2 gixxer 750's that I also rode with full faces. I do agree that the full face gives the most protection and I do have a Scorpion Exo-1000 that is comfortable but of course hot. The only reason that I have a half face is because in 2010 the city of Myrtle Beach,SC enacted a helmet law and I went there for bike week. My mode of thinking was that maybe I could switch back and forth at times but ultimately I'd rather be hot than connected I guess.

As far as wind noise and the ipod I have done it although I know that it is illegal to have earphones in both ears while a vehicle is in motion here in MD. I am not a fan of earplugs either because they tend to irritate me over time.

I want to say thank you again to all of you as your opinions are greatly valued.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by L.T.T. View Post

DITTO DITTO DITTO My riding exactly...
    2007 LE looking to start adding mods.....

Very Active Member RicardoRodriguez's Avatar

It depends on what price you put to your head.
    When it is about safety gear, then we hope we never get to use it, when that day comes i would love to have the full face. Nevertheless I am riding agressive or not, fast or slow.

When it is about a 5 min ride where i wont ride into highways, then the half one is regularly my option. So I am not sounding like I do what I think, right, lol.

And well of course, the second priority on safety gear is that it should by comfy.

So first safety, second comfy!

http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/Traff...elmets_TSF.pdf

This is the NHTSA study on helmets other than a full helmet. It's not very pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Attitude Adjuster View Post
    Ladies and gentelmen,

I would like to have your opinion. I have almost always ridden with a full face helmet however I purchased a half shell last year. This year I went to bike week in Myrtle Beach and we rode without helmets and I was able to hear so much more around me including my 9. Today I put on the half shell and took a quick ride to retrieive my full face and omg the wind noise was deafening at only 70mph. The helmet fits but it also felt that it would lift off of my head if I went a faster or turned the wrong way (maybe I am being paranoid on that one). I also couldn't really hear the bike due to that wind noise. As soon as I put on the full face everything was muted but I didn't feel as connected to the bike.

With that said I have some questions.

Do you prefer a full face or half shell?
    Do you find a benefit from one over the other?
    Am I paranoid thinking that the half shell will lift off?
    What do I do about the wind noise?

Thanks
    Here is my 2 cents, I usually wear my half helmet most of the time. I do have an open face (HJC IS-33) that I have worn on long road trips. The open face does provide the best overall protection between that and the half helmet.

Regarding of the hal helemt lifting at speed, that has happened but only when I did not secure the helmet tight enough. You might want to check you adjustments to be on the safe side.

I know people like ear plugs and they are good but I guess the wind rush does not bother me at all.

One thing I will leave you with I always wear a helmet either half or open face, helmets are made for a reason that is why I wear mine. As corny as it sounds SAFETY FIRST!!! You can enjoy your 9 if you are not here!

ENJOY THE RIDE!!!
    Semper Fidelis
    GruntLeader
    USMC Retired.

Full all the time. Flip front HJC so I can drink and get some added air when going slow.

Full Face for me Attitude Adjuster. I'm in PG County too and with the way folks drive around here I'll always where full face and full gear.

I think its all up to the individual rider. Each rider has to evaluate the risk they are willing to take. I ride with a full face, no exceptions.

I wear my helmet about 90% of the time. And that's full face. I tried a half helmet and it was like a parachute. Killed my neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BODYGUARDX View Post
    Full Face for me Attitude Adjuster. I'm in PG County too and with the way folks drive around here I'll always where full face and full gear.

I hear you. I do ride in shirt sleeves more often since I have gotten this bike but I am normally geared up. I have to gear up when on a club ride though. Maybe we can hook up for a ride at some point.

I wear a full face 99% of the time. The image below will explain why. It's a study where most hits are taken by a full face.

Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE

I use both, but I prefer the half helmet. I also use my ipod with ear buds. The ear buds work like ear plugs and I can listen to some good tunes. Treat them just like the radio in your car. Turn it up to loud and you can't hear what's going on around your. I keep mine at a moderate level to drown out the wind noise. Half or Full helmet, I still like my tunes on the road.

BTW.... don't be a A-hole. If your gonna wear a helmet....and you should...get a DOT approved one. Don't get one of these replica helmets cause it's lighter and cheaper. Those idiots look like their wearing swim caps. It's funny as hell to me. All to avoid a ticket.
    "Sweep the Leg."

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    I wear a full face 99% of the time. The image below will explain why. It's a study where most hits are taken by a full face.

So you are 4% more likely to hit your right side of your chin than your left?

So much for turn the other cheek!
    2008 Candy Max Orange,Chrome wheels, Debadged,poorman's debeaver,V-Stream Touring windshield, Corbin Seat, OEM Engine guards,Metz 160/60 front 260/40 rear,Chrome Stebel air horn, 2011 Victory Cross Country, 2003 Yamaha Roadstar, too many mods to list

By bujee1 at 2010-07-07