M109 Rider Forums banner

Dyno Results and Mods "Dedicated Thread"

147K views 241 replies 73 participants last post by  Erwin K 
#1 ·
Hey all. I was thinking it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to dyno results, the mods, and if known-- the before and after results.

There seems to be some random posts with individual results, discussion and complements, but I can't find a thread that is dedicated solely to dyno results and added mods to achieve the gains.

If there is a thread like this maybe someone can find it and revive it. It would be nice to have one place to look and post as we get our machines tuned.

Realizing that the thread will be mostly just "interesting." vs. technically "helpful." It will still be cool to have a list of all the amazing power runs. Also, I think there are a number of enthusiasts out there that have done additional deep mods like porting and polishing, cams, NO2, turbos, etc. Those would be entertaining to see, too. C109 and M90 riders jump in and post, as well.

So, post away! Add pics of the dyno sheets, if possible, regardless, please cut and paste the following with your info if applicable:

HP/Torque:

Year:

Mods:

Fuel management and settings:

Before and after differences:

Location of shop and prices to tune:

1/4 mile times:

Additional comments, suggestions, and observations of your experience at the dyno:

Please add any other suggestions to make this an informative thread. I would start with my results, but haven't done it, yet. So, I'm looking forward to all the posts to get me motivated.

Thanks!
:bigthumbsup:
MT

See less See more
Reactions: Peterpitbull74FCMC
#2 ·
Intresting thread, but a can of worms as there are alot of different dynos out there with many traveling ones that dont seem to be calibrated or using SAE . with that said: had this done last spring

Hyperchargers
3/4 gutted exhaust
Pc3
Tuned (way too rich) will be redone this year
Sae 5 if I remember
118HP 109TQ
Dyno jet certified machine and tech

#3 · (Edited)
QUOTE=Intresting thread, but a can of worms as there are alot of different dynos out there with many traveling ones that dont seem to be calibrated or using SAE

Very true.... and most, I presume, will be similar numbers with similar mods, but should be interesting, non the less. I was looking last night at some very old threads, like some from '06 when the bikes were just rolling off the production lines and no one had any after market stuff, yet. They were showing Stock v. K & N runs with a 5-7 HP gain (which shoots the theory into the ground that these bikes are "running lean from the factory" and just increasing intake won't give you anything without added fuel to the added air.) I think LaMonster was one of the first to spend time with these on the Dyno. There were some other runs showing a 2-3 HP gain from only adding a TRE. Which I thought was interesting, since supposedly, the only thing a TRE does is fake the bike into thinking it's in 4th gear all the time. Don't you do a dyno pull in 4th gear, anyway? Maybe someone that is better than me with technology can pull some of these old threads into this one. If you search "dyno results" there are a lot of threads with discussions going way back to the beginning of 109 time.

So, yea, maybe a can of worms, but still an opportunity to gather everyone's info, including some of the original runs, way back in the day, with their ideas of what was working and why and put it in one place. Maybe, once there is enough data here, we can throw up a spreadsheet showing the different options of tuning and mods with their results. Knowledge is power, perhaps literally here. HA HA.

Cheers.

MT
[/SIZE]

#9 ·
QUOTE=Intresting thread, but a can of worms as there are alot of different dynos out there with many traveling ones that dont seem to be calibrated or using SAE

Very true.... and most, I presume, will be similar numbers with similar mods, but should be interesting, non the less. I was looking last night at some very old threads, like some from '06 when the bikes were just rolling off the production lines and no one had any after market stuff, yet. They were showing Stock v. K & N runs with a 5-7 HP gain (which shoots the theory into the ground that these bikes are "running lean from the factory" and just increasing intake won't give you anything without added fuel to the added air.)

Cheers.

MT
[/SIZE]
You misunderstand the results...the 109 does run lean but only up to about 3500 rpm's then it gets rich...real rich at certain rpms...max power is not derived at lower rpm ranges so in the upper ranges where you tune for power is where the filters made more and that's where the a/f was richest to begin with...hope this clears this up for you.

#5 · (Edited)
2008 LE -
Stock Run 111.52 HP, 98.93 Tq
Big Shots, PCIII custom maping - 114.41, 103.1
K&N w/ Ducks (aprox. full open cover) Custom maping - 121.12, 108.42.

All on the same Dyno with the Same Tuner/Mechanic.

#6 ·
2008 LE -
Stock Run 111.52 HP, 98.93 Tq
Big Shots, PCIII custom maping - 114.41, 103.1
K&N w/ Ducks (aprox. full open cover) Custom maping - 121.12, 108.42.

All on the same Dyno with the Same Tuner/Mechanic.
Nice improvements. The exhaust, without intakes sure didn't do much, even with fuel management. But when you opened up the intake and gave her some fuel, WOW! Pretty much 10% increase. I would think those kind of changes you could definitely feel, right?

So, I'm wondering. Since doing my mods and playing around with the fi2000, I am able to break the rear tire loose if I gun it in 1st after already rolling (so, not using the clutch to do it), and if I'm in a lean starting or finishing a turn, that tire will let go real easy. This didn't happen for me when she was stock. Are these the kind of butt differences you are feeling? Also, I get a little spin at the 1-2 shift on hard accel.

Comments... anyone on real world ways of noticing power improvements. Any other definitive, objective methods you all are using to test and tune without dyno?

MT

#7 ·
Yea, the air mad a big differnce to the mix. That is just proof of why you can do one or the other, but not both without some kind of fuel modification.

It is stronger without question, but the custom dyno work smoothed the throttle curve out to a nice slope. It will break the tire loose for sure without the clutch and I can roll a nice black line coming out of a curve.

#8 · (Edited)
2008 R2, all tuning done by same shop/same dyno SAE 5

Stock: 106 hp, 101 ft/lbs tq

Mods:
-K&N only 110.5 hp, 104 ft/lbs before exhaust
-K&N, Hacker Mayhem, PCIII 116.6 hp, 110.7 ft/lbs

Roughly 3k miles on bike at the time

#12 ·
This sounds fun. I will add dyno sheets as soon as I can get it on a dyno.
Year 2008 LE
Mods, Cobra 2000FI, GoPro ATRE, Edelbrocks, Raw Performance Black Short pipe.
Fuel Settings Factory so far
1/8 mile times 7.75@90.4
Dyno numbers TBD.

#13 · (Edited)
My Results...question about redline

Here are my dyno results, the map I was using was off quite a bit! My question the dyno shows up to about 6600 rpm and top speed of 130, is that right or did he do something wrong. I have thunder tornados, tre, power commander and stock pipes with scorpion tips and small baffles added. My mechanic just added the gear indicator, maybe he got the wrong one (with tre built in?)

#14 ·
Here are my dyno results, the map I was using was off quite a bit! My question the dyno shows up to about 6600 rpm and top speed of 130, is that right or did he do something wrong. I have thunder tornados, tre, power commander and stock pipes with scorpion tips and small baffles added. My mechanic just added the gear indicator, maybe he got the wrong one (with tre built in?)
He may not have been redlining it. He may have just stopped when the HP started to fall off. My guy didn't run it to redline either. He stopped when it reached peak HP.

Yeah! Your mixture was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy off.

#17 · (Edited)
Power peak and red line are two different things. Our bikes peak about 6800. So in 4th it is about 130 mph.
As far as running rich I dropped my middle setting on the Cobra a bit and my ET is now 7.5@91.5.
Maybe a can of worms but they are very interesting worms. Thanks for starting this.
This ought to be a Sticky.

#18 ·
How do we make it a "sticky?"

PS Still looking for someone with some before and after with the new Cobra Power Pro.

#22 ·
For those interested there are some dyno apps available for android phones and I'm sure some for other smart phones as well. Don't know if any actually work or not but I' maybe someone can chime in that knows. Might be just what you need to help dial the bike in. I'm sure they are not exact but with gps and accelerometers its possible!

#25 ·
Here's my AFR with the Cobra F2000. Settings ended up at 2-2.5-0.

You will notice at about 6K the mixture starts getting rich because it's running out of air. By 6500, it's getting rich enough that power is dropping off. The cure for that could be improvements in the airbox (or taking it off and sticking the filters right on the throttle bodies) and/or cam profile changes. But, I ain't running it that high much of the time anyway.

#27 ·
OK here is some hard core numbers for us to use
Primary gear reduction 1.757 the following numbers will include the final drive ratio of 2.823 and a 25.5 inch tire on the speed
First gear 10.84 speed at 7400 = 52 mph
Second gear 6.91 speed at 7400 = 81 mph
Third gear 5.13 speed at 7400 = 109 mph
Fourth gear 4.09 speed at 7400 = 137 mph
Fifth gear 3.38 speed at 7400 = 166 mph
92 mph in third is 6600 rpm
Hope that helps
Bob

#30 ·
Rpm drops shifting at 7400
2nd gear 4700@52 mph
3rd gear 5500@81 mph
4th gear 5900@109 mph
5th gear 6100@137 mph
So far it has not done well short shifting. If you look at the power curves on the dyno sheets you will see short shifting first would drop you way down on the power curve. First gear is very deep.
Bob

#32 ·
There is a lot of power and inertia reduction sitting on the table with this bike.
Get the weight down. The wheels weigh what 36 and 24 lbs some one said. The stock pipe has to weigh 50+ at least. Lightweight tires and wheels. Get rid of the rear fender assy and your down under 600 lbs I would guess. That takes a lot of pressure off the drivetrain.

#33 ·
That's what I expected.

Short shifting rarely is beneficial. People often forget about the fact that the even though power may be dropping off a little as you continue past the peak, it will be even lower when you shift and find yourself farther down in the opposite direction. A good rule of thumb has always been, when it stops pulling, shift. Now with modern technology and rev limiters, right before she gets cut off by the rev limiter is optimum.

MT

#36 ·
Thanks for the info and opinion. That is some serious HP--146. And you got the same on a different dyno. Impressive. Thanks for posting.

MT

#37 ·
Very cool kenny. The torque curve looks real choppy down low. The tale lies in the fuel curve on both if you have those and then maybe another time slip.
I am charting my slips and times. My bike goes on the dyno this week and I will be at the track thursday to see if it made much difference.
My best times so far are 60 foot. 1.771, 330 ft 4.910, 1/8 7.592@91.25 I will be able to tell right away what the auto tune and quickshift did for me. Glad everyone is enjoying the cobra. Would have been cheaper for me but they said not to use it for what I was doing. No timing retard. Also the PCV will let me raise the rev limit in top gear to 8000.
Bob

#38 ·
Sweet! It's a sticky. now. Thanks guys and gals for all your interest and input. I think this will continue to develop into a nice thread.

When I get an extra hour or two I will do some searching and post some links to some older Dyno threads I've come across that were very interesting. In the mean time, if you find some or know of some relevant links, let's get them in here.

MT

#39 ·
Going on the dyno tomorrow at noon. 100 degrees here. Oh well. The tune oughta be a safe one at that heat. Anyway We decided to pull the secondary throttle valves. He does this to his race bikes and tunes the flat spot out. Also my air boxes are ported so I want to see what that does. Last we are adding the extra 500 rpm to the redline. Go Big or go home. Wish me luck. I will have pics and video to post.
Bob

#40 ·
If you dyno that beast all the way to 8,000 rpm, we aught to see some really tall numbers. Hopefully you'll be able to get enough air in the cylinders to support that RPM. Can you explain what you mean by "my air boxes are ported?"

MT

#41 ·
Look at these, The whole inside of the housing is gone so there is no restriction to the pipe going up. And the air filter is a 95 Camero 350 on both sides cut down to fit inside. Lots bigger than the stocker. Also I am going to be doing a Ram Air system on this using my Edelbrock outer as a mold for the scoop.

#42 ·
Interesting. So, are you willing to do a pull with a stock/uncut airbox with K&Ns and compare your handi work? Are you blocking off the back of the box and opening up the front cover, ie., Duck's?

Keep us posted.

MT

#43 ·
First I ran it like this, homemade Velocity Stacks, then I went to the edelbrocks. Some kind of Ram Air is coming, I am kicking around ideas right now.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.