M109 Rider Forums banner

Dyno Results and Mods "Dedicated Thread"

148K views 241 replies 73 participants last post by  Erwin K 
#1 ·
Hey all. I was thinking it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to dyno results, the mods, and if known-- the before and after results.

There seems to be some random posts with individual results, discussion and complements, but I can't find a thread that is dedicated solely to dyno results and added mods to achieve the gains.

If there is a thread like this maybe someone can find it and revive it. It would be nice to have one place to look and post as we get our machines tuned.

Realizing that the thread will be mostly just "interesting." vs. technically "helpful." It will still be cool to have a list of all the amazing power runs. Also, I think there are a number of enthusiasts out there that have done additional deep mods like porting and polishing, cams, NO2, turbos, etc. Those would be entertaining to see, too. C109 and M90 riders jump in and post, as well.

So, post away! Add pics of the dyno sheets, if possible, regardless, please cut and paste the following with your info if applicable:

HP/Torque:

Year:

Mods:

Fuel management and settings:

Before and after differences:

Location of shop and prices to tune:

1/4 mile times:

Additional comments, suggestions, and observations of your experience at the dyno:

Please add any other suggestions to make this an informative thread. I would start with my results, but haven't done it, yet. So, I'm looking forward to all the posts to get me motivated.

Thanks!
:bigthumbsup:
MT

See less See more
Reactions: Peterpitbull74FCMC
#188 ·
HP seems to be Waaaaaay down!

Hey All, thanks for a great discussion site. I have an 06, Cobra Swept, Fi2000, K&N air cleaners, TRE. I recently had my bike serviced and dyno tested. The results were incredibly disappointing, around 90 HP. That's lower than stock. Any ideas where a typical HP robbing problem might be?

I can't figure out where to begin searching.

Rich

#189 ·
Hey All, thanks for a great discussion site. I have an 06, Cobra Swept, Fi2000, K&N air cleaners, TRE. I recently had my bike serviced and dyno tested. The results were incredibly disappointing, around 90 HP. That's lower than stock. Any ideas where a typical HP robbing problem might be?

I can't figure out where to begin searching.

Rich
Just remember that the stock numbers are not based on wheel HP.

#196 ·
Pete,

WOW !!
That was way off the mark... I guess they didn't spend much time on that project before releasing it for sale.

Ivan
Actually, Ivan, they flashed the ECU and then Dyno tuned it. Without running it on the dyno they would not have been able to get the correct fuel settings. Although they will flash an ECU without dyno tuning it, they STRONGLY recommend against it.

#198 ·
I would assume that they (the dealer) have no control over the file that they are flashing.... Too bad.

Ivan
What's that old saying? "One should never ASSUME, for when one ASSUMES they make an ASS out of U and ME." :joke:

The issue is that every bike is different, even aside from modifications. Unless dyno tuning is performed, one cannot optimize the ECU Flash for the specific motorcycle. It would be like using a generic map for a Power Commander. You might see some improvements with it, but without a qualified tuner performing an individual tune on a bike by bike basis, it won't be optimal.

Now, I know you sell ECU Flashes, Ivan. You may have optimized the flash for a specific M109R. You may see some improvements on most bikes. But it still won't be optimal for my bike, or for anyone else's either.
When Karns did my bike, they spent nearly 3 hours fine tuning the A/F ratio and got it just about perfect. No generic flash can do that without dyno time.

http://www.karnsperformance.com/custompage.asp?pg=services

#199 ·
As long as the modifications are the same, the tune will be the same.
(TPS voltage needs to be the same as the bike that the tune was created with)

Different pipes and intakes will require some changes (very minor)

You can believe what you want, but my testing and tuning for most of my adult life has shown me otherwise.... And I have thousands of customers around the world that have repeatedly checked my work and will agree with my statements. ;)

It's not possible to adjust an entire ECU file in 3 hours.... maybe a power commander map?

Ivan

#200 ·
As long as the modifications are the same, the tune will be the same.
(TPS voltage needs to be the same as the bike that the tune was created with)

Different pipes and intakes will require some changes (very minor)

You can believe what you want, but my testing and tuning for most of my adult life has shown me otherwise.... And I have thousands of customers around the world that have repeatedly checked my work and will agree with my statements. ;)

It's not possible to adjust an entire ECU file in 3 hours.... maybe a power commander map?

Ivan
It looks as if we will have to agree to disagree, Ivan! :bigthumbsup:

#203 · (Edited)
You can read a whole lot more about it if you go to the link I posted a few messages back.

Here is what the ECUnleashed flash does:

ECUnleashed Performance Reflash
Eliminate Factory Restrictions- Unleash up to 10% more power
Increase Acceleration & Top Speed
Improve Throttle Response & Control

Specifications:
Improve Fuel & Ignition Maps
Eliminate Factory Throttle Restrictions
Optimize Throttle Maps
Eliminate Timing Retard
Increase Rev Limit
Remove Factory Top Speed Limiter(s)
Eliminate Factory Fuel Cut
Optimize Off-Throttle (Decel) Mapping
Disable Factory Error Code(s): Exhaust Servo Motor/Valve, Pair Valve System (Smog Valve), O2 Sensor/Lambda and more
ECUnleashed performance tune files are tested and tuned for maximum power, performance and drive-ability

And here's a FAQ page: http://ecunleashed.com/frequently-asked-questions/

I don't want to get into a debate. Ivan is trying to sell his product. I am only reporting on what I already had done, I have nothing to gain by this, while Ivan obviously has a lot to gain by convincing people that a dyno tune is not needed when the ECU is flashed. That's just salesmanship. He showed up here very recently, and in his second post was posting links to his for-profit website.

If someone wants to try a flash without having it optimized for their bike, that's completely up to that consumer. But you won't get the same top notch results I got without a dyno tune too, regardless of what Ivan says. Take Air/Fuel ratio, for example. It obviously will be far different for a bike at sea level than a bike up in the Rockies. How can that be accounted for with a flash and no dyno tune? That's just a single aspect. There are others too.

So who are you going to believe, an enthusiast with nothing to gain, or someone who showed up on this site a few days ago and immediately began peddling his product?

#205 ·
Unless I am mistaken, the M109R does not have a baro sensor, Ivan. Nor does it compensate for temp.

#206 ·
Yes of course it does. ... it has both.
Barometric sensor is sometimes called "atmospheric pressure "sensor.

The air temperature sensor is in the airbox. Sometimes called IAT sensor (intake air)

All of today's Japanese EFI motorcycles have both of them and automatically compensate for altitude and temperature.

Ivan

#208 ·
If you look in the service manual in the fuel system section, you will find all the codes and how to test all the sensors. ...

The early busa manual had a section that explained the whole system and how it works and uses all the sensors.

Early busas don't have sub throttles, but the system is basically the same.

Ivan

#213 ·
Power Cmander only, first..

What about if i first buy and install PCV( ´cos money) and leave everything else original. Especially the pipes because all parts all very expensive here in Finland. Will i still be able to get more torq and better throttle etc even original pipes are too small? My bike is original and i really don´t like it under 3500rpm. Twitching in low rpm, as you know.

Was here anybody´s result in dyno, only with commarder?

#221 · (Edited)
HP/Torque: 121.1Hp/ 115.6lbft

Year:

Mods:
K&N air filters

fuel/air ratio tune-up

before tune-up 120.3HP/112.1lbft

Location of shop and prices to tune: Goes (Holland) $140 (Ruud Frederiks)

1/4 mile times: don't know

Additional comments, suggestions, and observations of your experience at the dyno: this was done in July, now she has Cobra swepped exhaust, Duck covers air filter covers (cutout skull) I closed the back side of the filter cases so only cool air gets in and I can already feel the difference, next wednesday I go back for a power commander install and re-map, lets see what she brings!!

Greetz mando

#222 · (Edited)
went back to the dyno and installed a power commander V and did the remap, this is the result:

HP/Torque:
119.0 Hp/ 127.9 lbft

Year:

Mods:
K&N air filters, Duck covers, Cobra exhaust

Power commander V, remap

only K&N air filters (tune up with Yoshibox) 121.1 HP/115.6 lbft, added Cobra exhaust and Duck airfilter covers 115.2 HP/121.0 lbft

Location of shop and prices to tune: Goes (Holland) $510 power commander included

1/4 mile times: don't know

Additional comments, suggestions, and observations of your experience at the dyno: exhaust and covers gave a power loss of 6 Hp but gained 5.4 lbft of torque!! question is if I should de-cat the standard exhaust and use that or stick with this set-up?

#223 · (Edited)
what do you say?

First at all. Friend of mine has a dyno for cars and we just tested for fun what we get. Results are computer´s calculated powers from motor ( for the cars), not from back tyre.
Like your results from mcdynos!?! Those are real power from tire?
But like i said, just for fun and see how the line goes.

Also we drove the dyno on 3rd gear, drivers mistake.

HP/Torque: 130,2HP / 106,7 lbft(144,6NM) (From backtyre 117,5hp/6722rpm, checked from computer)

Year: 2007

Mods: Power Commander V, Autotune, TRE, everything else stock

So, were is my torque? I mean if factory promises 125hp/160Nm and those results are power from motor... We had like 130hp/144Nm....
I mean, after PCV they should be even near what factory promises, even they give little big bigger results than real...

But what you think next, V&H when i get enought money...

And little bit of topic, do they made slipper clutch for M109? had almost accident, because i don´t have gear indicator, and i put accidentally the first gear on while turning right on crossroad with too much speed so back tire went lock and i almost flip the bike.

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Pattern

#224 ·
My 2011 Dyno Run (w/video)

Well, after I installed a pcV and some mods I decided to see where I am at. I basically wanted a baseline to decide if spending $500 on a tune is necessary. I got a map file from Latinrascal since our setups are very similar. I am pleased with the results, however I am running pretty lean according to the Dyno operator. Anyway, here are the results.....not too shabby considering the map is "generic" to my bike.

#225 ·
Well, after I installed a pcV and some mods I decided to see where I am at. I basically wanted a baseline to decide if spending $500 on a tune is necessary. I got a map file from Latinrascal since our setups are very similar. I am pleased with the results, however I am running pretty lean according to the Dyno operator. Anyway, here are the results.....not too shabby considering the map is "generic" to my bike.

I would of thought the TQ number would of been a bit higher. I regularly see them closer to the 100 range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

#226 ·
2016 M109R BOSS

Bassani Pro Turnouts
Baron's Big Air Kit
PCV

Dyno tuned at Twin Performance Cycles in Garner NC

Healtech XTRE to be installed soon(it doesn't arrive until Monday😢)

I see some pretty impressive numbers on this thread for the mods that have been done. I will take what I got out of mine as you can see by the pre-tune graph there was a horrible lean spot that had been eliminated via the tune.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

#228 ·
Ok, that number sounds better. I just had never seen a TQ number that low with the mods. But Im no expert on these things or a Dyno either.
It's funny you say that.... I thought the exact same. I did notice that my max torque is actually 110.79 in the lower left corner of the screenshot but he marked my torque on the graph where Max hp is. I didn't ask why.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

#230 ·
2013 m109r 2500miles
conical intakes
cobra swept exhaust
power commander v

before Dyno tune
109.83hp
110.51torque

after Dyno tune
113.79hp
112.52 torque

would have liked to do a stock run before I added things to see what bone stock was but couldn't. the shop did a great job and they said the map I had load was real close on a/f but they sill managed to gain me an extra 4hp and 2ft lbs of torque. wish it was a bit more, but the bike is much smoother now as well

#231 ·
250+ miles to dyno tune?

So I had my bike's ECU flashed and dyno tuned at Jupiter Cycle Racing in Jupiter FL. They have a good reputation. My bike is stock except for K&ns, I like the quieter exhaust and slash cut OEM look. I wanted the lean fuel air ratio corrected and to get rid of all the snatchy, jerky throttle issues in 1-3. The bike is totally different now. The power curve is more like an inline 4. Much much better and more rideable especially in lower gears / speeds. My problem is someone put over 250 miles on the bike the week it was there. I thought this was pretty excessive as if someone had been riding it all week or something. The owner left just before I paid and got my bike back so I had to email him asking about it. He said no one rode it on the street at all and the miles were from the dyno tune. IS that a normal amount of miles to expect from a dyno tune? I really can't say anything. I'm not going to call him a liar as I've never had a bike dyno tuned before. What has your experience been?

Attachments

#232 ·
So I had my bike's ECU flashed and dyno tuned at Jupiter Cycle Racing in Jupiter FL. They have a good reputation. My bike is stock except for K&ns, I like the quieter exhaust and slash cut OEM look. I wanted the lean fuel air ratio corrected and to get rid of all the snatchy, jerky throttle issues in 1-3. The bike is totally different now. The power curve is more like an inline 4. Much much better and more rideable especially in lower gears / speeds. My problem is someone put over 250 miles on the bike the week it was there. I thought this was pretty excessive as if someone had been riding it all week or something. The owner left just before I paid and got my bike back so I had to email him asking about it. He said no one rode it on the street at all and the miles were from the dyno tune. IS that a normal amount of miles to expect from a dyno tune? I really can't say anything. I'm not going to call him a liar as I've never had a bike dyno tuned before. What has your experience been?
That seems a bit excessive to me. Also, unless I am mistaken, the odometer runs off the front tire, not the rear. Ask for a free oil change, but make sure they do not overfill. Also, 15.72:1 is still a bit lean. Stochiometric efficiency is 14:1.

#233 ·
The M109R speedometer is read off the back tire. And there is no way they put 250 miles on it on a dyno. 10 miles would be excessive. Someone rode the bike and the owner is focking lying his ass off about it. They probably thrashed it like a rented mule as well. I'd be pissed if it was me. I bet they didn't even put premium in the tank when filling it.

#234 ·
The OP says the bike was at the shop for a entire week.
If the shop was tuning the entire ECU map set and actually had the bike up on the dyno all day for the time it was in the shop then it is totally believable that they put 250 miles on the bike.
I have gone through an entire tank of gas many times in a day on my dyno.

Tank of gas doing lots of pulls including WOT runs is going to be over 100 miles worth of equivalent street riding.

BCS

#235 ·
The OP says the bike was at the shop for a entire week.
If the shop was tuning the entire ECU map set and actually had the bike up on the dyno all day for the time it was in the shop then it is totally believable that they put 250 miles on the bike.
I have gone through an entire tank of gas many times in a day on my dyno.

Tank of gas doing lots of pulls including WOT runs is going to be over 100 miles worth of equivalent street riding.

BCS
They used the Woolich racing software for tuning. Not sure if that is helpful or not. If that is normal that's OK, I just wasn't expecting that kind of mileage from tuning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.