Grasshopper Backrest vs Backup Backrest

Thread: Grasshopper Backrest vs Backup Backrest

Default Grasshopper Backrest vs Backup Backrest

Guys I need your help.

Should I go with the Grasshopper Backrest that some of you have or the Backup Backrest like KC Cruiser posted on this thread http://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141016 If I go with KC's I am going to do that bag mod he has which looks sweet and useful. I have Corbin seats and after talking to Lonnie at Grasshopper he said his will work Im not sure of Backup. BTW I can get the Backup for $296 also.

He is a link to the thread again. And the Backup Backrest

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141016

http://grasshopperlimited.com/Suzuki.html

http://www.directlineparts.com/produ...d=8319&str=290
    Last edited by Getlow109; 03-23-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Modins Desease is the number one cause of Brokeness!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Getlow109 View Post
    Guys I need your help.

Should I go with the Grasshopper Backrest that some of you have or the Backup Backrest like KC Cruiser posted on this thread http://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141016 If I go with KC's I am going to do that bag mod he has which looks sweet and useful. I have Corbin seats and after talking to Lonnie at Grasshopper he said his will work Im not sure of Backup.

He is a link to the thread again. And the Backup Backrest

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141016

http://grasshopperlimited.com/Suzuki.html

http://www.directlineparts.com/produ...d=8319&str=290
    Cant speak to the Backup but I just installed the grasshopper this weekend. For me it works ok. like the extra back support, but would be much better if it was adjustable. It just didnt fit me right. Close, but a few degrees off on the tilt.
    Also, the bracket sticks up from the seat a little more than i'd like when the backrest is off.

Overall, i think i'm satisfied with my decision. to me it was a case of you pay for what you get. I only plan to use for long trips, and i rarely take long trips, so i wasnt about to pay over 3 times more for the backup or something similar. if you plan to use more than occasionally, i say spring for something other than grasshopper.

Cheers
    jr

Quote Originally Posted by jr222 View Post
    Cant speak to the Backup but I just installed the grasshopper this weekend. For me it works ok. like the extra back support, but would be much better if it was adjustable. It just didnt fit me right. Close, but a few degrees off on the tilt.
    Also, the bracket sticks up from the seat a little more than i'd like when the backrest is off.

Overall, i think i'm satisfied with my decision. to me it was a case of you pay for what you get. I only plan to use for long trips, and i rarely take long trips, so i wasnt about to pay over 3 times more for the backup or something similar. if you plan to use more than occasionally, i say spring for something other than grasshopper.

Cheers
    jr
    Hmmmm Interesting I just spoke with Lonnie and he said the new ones have an adjustable screw to move it up or down an inch. But thanks for you insight. I plan on using it all the time too not just on long rides.

Default Backrest

Hmmmm Interesting I just spoke with Lonnie and he said the new ones have an adjustable screw to move it up or down an inch. But thanks for you insight. I plan on using it all the time too not just on long rides.
    I bought the grasshopper backrest right before buying the Corbin seats this year. I never used the grasshopper backrest on a ride, but do prefer the Corbin setup. My grasshopper backrest does not have the adjustable screw.

I have the grasshopper and think it adds much needed lower back support. No issues at all. The base is basically unnoticed when the backrest is not on. For the $$ you cannot beat a Grasshopper!

Quote Originally Posted by mojo!k View Post
    I have the grasshopper and think it adds much needed lower back support. No issues at all. The base is basically unnoticed when the backrest is not on. For the $$ you cannot beat a Grasshopper!
    I agree. I have no issues with the grasshopper. It works very well for me.

probably right. There is a set screw and i can see how you could use it to adjust the height. I didnt tighten the set screw. I just put the backrest into the bracket and let gravity hold it in.

My issue is that its not adjustable front to back. personally would prefer to have it recline a bit more.

To me the Grasshopper seems to sit back too far really not providing back support. I would like it if it sat farther forward. I noticed Nemo had a bracket he said came stock i Believe, but it sit alot more forward to me than the one that came with mine.
    Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel!!

Quote Originally Posted by D-Ride View Post
    To me the Grasshopper seems to sit back too far really not providing back support. I would like it if it sat farther forward. I noticed Nemo had a bracket he said came stock i Believe, but it sit alot more forward to me than the one that came with mine.

I see what you mean by some pics.

I have the Custom World backrest and really like it. You can adjust the height, the front/back position, and the tilt of the pad. It costs a little more but is very strong and worth it to me. It's on my bike in the sig pics and looks a lot like the Backup.

Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    I have the Custom World backrest and really like it. You can adjust the height, the front/back position, and the tilt of the pad. It costs a little more but is very strong and worth it to me. It's on my bike in the sig pics and looks a lot like the Backup.
    Is there enough room for the bag to fit on it like KC Cruisers?

Is there enough room for the bag to fit on it like KC Cruisers?
    It would have to hang over the bracket on the back, which is pretty hefty. I've been thinking about trying one myself to see how it works.

This one will work with Corbin seats too. It mounts between the seat mounting base and the seat, and just a strip of metal is between the seat and cowl or rear seat.

It would have to hang over the bracket on the back, which is pretty hefty. I've been thinking about trying one myself to see how it works.

This one will work with Corbin seats too. It mounts between the seat mounting base and the seat, and just a strip of metal is between the seat and cowl or rear seat.
    Easy to be removed?

Not as easy as the Grasshopper, as they slip into a bracket that is mounted to the bike. I'm not sure how the Backup units mount.

If you notice how your seat latch mounts to the bottom of the seat, it mounts between that and the seat. You remove two bolts to get the latch off, place the backrest on the seat, then reinstall the seat latch with two longer bolts they provide. So you can take it off fairly quickly, but it's not exactly designed to be removable.

Someone on here made theirs removable but I don't recall who it was.

Not as easy as the Grasshopper, as they slip into a bracket that is mounted to the bike. I'm not sure how the Backup units mount.

If you notice how your seat latch mounts to the bottom of the seat, it mounts between that and the seat. You remove two bolts to get the latch off, place the backrest on the seat, then reinstall the seat latch with two longer bolts they provide. So you can take it off fairly quickly, but it's not exactly designed to be removable.

Someone on here made theirs removable but I don't recall who it was.
    Thanks

I have the Utopia and made it removable like the Grasshopper. Mine comes with a bag but I think I may change that. It is also adjustable.

I am short ,fat and old so it is set to lay on the seat until I get on then I just flip it up and GO GO GO. I liked it so much I made one for my wife.

She likes it. I do have a black seat for me for 2 up riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Alien109 View Post
    I have the Utopia and made it removable like the Grasshopper. Mine comes with a bag but I think I may change that. It is also adjustable.

I am short ,fat and old so it is set to lay on the seat until I get on then I just flip it up and GO GO GO. I liked it so much I made one for my wife.

She likes it. I do have a black seat for me for 2 up riding.

Sick man! Interested in making another? Oh I have forgot about those Kurys, just haven't had a chance to get in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Ride View Post
    I had the same problem... thought that I needed the standard 2 lean back & cruise with feet up on the highway pegs but it was 2 far back 4 good support. I found out Grasshopper makes a foreword mount bracket & they did the exchange quickly with no hassles @ all. Thats what U need, it works great & I would recommend it.
    "Don't worry about it rider"

That one Man is the secret theme of the entire revelation of God to man through that which is known as the HOLY BIBLE... JESUS CHRIST.