Drive shaft oil change

Thread: Drive shaft oil change

Default Drive shaft oil change

I wanted to ask the forum about the drive shaft oil change, how do I do it and how much oil is supposed to go into it. I just changed the engine oil from regular oil to RED LINE Synthetics. 3.8 qts. I also put on a K&N oil filter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    I wanted to ask the forum about the drive shaft oil change, how do I do it and how much oil is supposed to go into it. I just changed the engine oil from regular oil to RED LINE Synthetics. 3.8 qts. I also put on a K&N oil filter.
    Differential fluid or Engine oil? There is no drive shaft oil, you just need to grease the drive shaft to service it. And for the record do not put 3.8 quarts in your motor unless you want a leaky left air cleaner. It is 3.4, but I put in 3 then check after an oil change since not all the oil is drained due the semi dry sump setup.

You can run, but you will just die tired..............

Pull the plug on the bottom of the hub. Let all the fluid drain out. replace drain plug, stand the bike upright, remove plug that's level with the axle shaft, and fill until oil level is at bottom of fill hole. It takes about 1/3 of a quart, so if you buy a quart of gear oil, you should get 3 oil changes out of it.

-Josh

Check email. :)

Happy Trails.
    Paul
    SIGPIC]
    2008 Black M109R
    Prince George, BC. Canada
    MODS Begin: Speedometer Face Plate, Amsoil Full synthetic, C.W. back rest, 2'' chrome risers, Spear Air Intakes, Dunlop Elite III 250, LeatherLyke Saddlebags

You have a drawing in Service Manual (and Owners Manual), how to go about it.
    Also : Go Mobile synthetic (I think it's SAE 90).

Quote Originally Posted by jdmitchell View Post
    And for the record do not put 3.8 quarts in your motor unless you want a leaky left air cleaner. It is 3.4, but I put in 3 then check after an oil change since not all the oil is drained due the semi dry sump setup.
    Not true, about 3.8 with a filter change, about 3.6 with no filter change, that is what the manual states.

Since I always change the filter too, I have always poured in 3.8 quarts and it checks right to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverHorse View Post
    Not true, about 3.8 with a filter change, about 3.6 with no filter change, that is what the manual states.

Since I always change the filter too, I have always poured in 3.8 quarts and it checks right to the top.
    I change my filter every time and I put in 3.4 quarts and it had ended up right in the middle of the hash marks both times. I guess filling it to the full hash is a personal choice, but since there were so many threads about puking oil out of the left breather I though I would leave it in the middle. But I am newb, so the manual always trumps me. Thanks for the correction.

Well, I guess if you in the middle, the that is about right for 3.4. I have never been plagued with the oil blowby problem. I have even put in 4 quarts a couple of times.

Guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Thanks for all the quick responses. rookiepg gave me a link to the manual and it is awesome. I have been sitting here all evening reading over it and getting mean looks from the wivey. lol She wants attention. lol. I'll take her out tomorrow to make up for it.

I put in 5 qts yes 5 qrts of oil several times with no puke. Filled to the top mark on the dipstick.

On the drive oil, just under 8 fluid oz.
    Orange '08 M109R with UT Texas theme speedo face, Iso grips w/stiletto end caps, LEDs, Metzlers, Memphis Shades "shooter" windshield, Techlusion fuel management... "Drink The Wind!"
    7-18-14... added a Nebulous Purple 2013 Yamaha V-Max to the stable
    2" lowering link, seat shaved and tapered, touring windshield...

I do the final drive oil when I do the engine oil, so for me that's every 3000km. I over service all my gear.

I use 80/90W motorcycle branded gear oil. Get 4 oil changes to the litre, book says 200-220ml. Easy to change, drain the oil, new washer & refit, open the fill, fill with bike horizontal to just dribble out the fill, refit cap.

Didn't think it was a greased drive shaft ...
    V&H Big Shots w/ modded baffles, Ness Big Suckers, GI Pro, PCV & Autotune, RadGuard, Tuned by RB.

You're not kidding about 'over serviceing'. Holly crap, BP Oil is loving you right now. :)
    With Full Synthetic I change my oil once every 10,000km's. And I've done this on my ZX12R....
    Cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy M109R View Post
    I do the final drive oil when I do the engine oil, so for me that's every 3000km. I over service all my gear.

I use 80/90W motorcycle branded gear oil. Get 4 oil changes to the litre, book says 200-220ml. Easy to change, drain the oil, new washer & refit, open the fill, fill with bike horizontal to just dribble out the fill, refit cap.

Didn't think it was a greased drive shaft ...
    SIGPIC]
    2008 Black M109R
    Prince George, BC. Canada
    MODS Begin: Speedometer Face Plate, Amsoil Full synthetic, C.W. back rest, 2'' chrome risers, Spear Air Intakes, Dunlop Elite III 250, LeatherLyke Saddlebags

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jdmitchell View Post
    Differential fluid or Engine oil? There is no drive shaft oil, you just need to grease the drive shaft to service it. And for the record do not put 3.8 quarts in your motor unless you want a leaky left air cleaner. It is 3.4, but I put in 3 then check after an oil change since not all the oil is drained due the semi dry sump setup.
    no drive shaft oil? there is in mine whats in yours then if there is no drive shaft oil?

Quote Originally Posted by scotty109 View Post
    no drive shaft oil? there is in mine whats in yours then if there is no drive shaft oil?
    He's just saying the oil is held in the differential and not the actual shaft

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    He's just saying the oil is held in the differential and not the actual shaft
    Yes that is what I meant, and the grease is for the splines on the actual shaft.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    Thanks for all the quick responses. rookiepg gave me a link to the manual and it is awesome. I have been sitting here all evening reading over it and getting mean looks from the wivey. lol She wants attention. lol. I'll take her out tomorrow to make up for it.
    ..HAHAHAHA I KNOW WHAT THATS LIKE...WOW...WIFEY KNOWS IF U COULD SCREW THE M109 U WOULD CUZ SHE DOESNT TALK BACK AND SHES SEXY...THE FIRST GUY ALMOST HAD U BREAKING DOWN ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD WITH HIS REPLY ABOUT JUST GREASING THE SHAFT..LOL....I JUST RECENTLY OPENED MY HUB AND THE MEMBER IS RIGHT ABOUT CHANGING THE DRAIN PLUG...CUZ MINE IS STRIPPED AND I BARELY TURNED IT...ALSO SIT THE BIKE UP RIGHT IF U CAN..MAKES IT SLIGHTLY EASIER GET THE SHAFT OIL..I USE THE HONDA BRAND...SQUEEZE TILL IT LEAKS OUT THE HOLE THAT SIMPLE...NO MATH TO IT....GOOD LUCK

HI, MY NAME IS BLESS. I ENJOY BEING A DICK. I LOVE THAT EVERYTIME I POST I GET ATTENTION BECAUSE MY CAPS LOCK IS ON. IF YOU THINK MY YELLING ON HERE IS BAD, IMAGINE HOW MY DOG FEELS. I REFUSE TO TURN IT OFF BECAUSE I DEMAND TO BE THE CENTER OF ATTENTION, IN EVERYTHING I DO. I'M THE MAN. I'M SO THE MAN, THAT MY REFLECTION IS AFRAID OF ME.

Last edited by vern2527; 06-04-2010 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vern2527 View Post
    HI MY NAME IS BLESS. I ENJOY BEING A DICK. I LOVE THAT EVERYTIME I POST I GET ATTENTION BECAUSE MY CAPS LOCK IS ON. IF YOU THINK MY YELLING ON HERE IS BAD, IMAGINE HOW MY DOG FEELS. I REFUSE TO TURN IT OFF BECAUSE I DEMAND TOI BE THE CENTER OF ATTENTION, IN EVERYTHING I DO. I'M THE MAN. I'M SO THER MAN, THAT MY REFLECTION IS AFRAID OF ME.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA...THATS CLASSIC..I LIKE IT...KEEPEM COMIN..LOL

Default WOW

I THOUGHT THAT WAS PRETTY GOOD..THANX FELLAZ U GUYS MAKE ME FEEL WELCOME IN HERE...GOOD BUNCH OF GUYS....

Very Active Member brianbigboy1000's Avatar

% NECESSARY AMOUNT OF ENGINE OIL:
    Oil change : 3.4 L (3.6/3.0 US/Imp qt)
    Oil and filter change : 3.6 L (3.8/3.2 US/Imp qt)
    Engine overhaul : 4.7 L (5.0/4.1 US/Imp qt)

and this right here is the procedure for the differential at the rear wheel i think this is what you are looking for...
    • Keep the motorcycle upright.
    • Place an oil pan under the final gear case.
    • Remove the filler cap
    1 and drain plug
    2 to drain oil.
    • Tighten the drain plug
    2 to the specified torque. Pour the
    specified oil (SAE 90 hypoid gear oil with GL-5 under API
    classification) through the filler hole until the oil level reaches
    the filler hole.
    • Refit the filler cap
    #Final gear oil drain plug: 23 Nm (2.3 kgf-m, 16.5 Ib-ft)
    % Final gear oil: 200 – 220 ml
    (6.8/7.0 – 7.4/7.7 US/Imp oz)

i put 3.8 qts and a new oil filter like the book says and my left air cleaner does not leak..so put 3.8 qts if you change filter and 3.4 qts without a filter and youll be perfect!..any other questions hit me up i have a suzuki repair manual on cd rom and pdf and i have a link to download it..
    Last edited by brianbigboy1000; 06-06-2010 at 01:01 PM.

Default Ok Then...

That pretty much answered how to do it. Still confused as to wether i should use Synthetic or not, though
    RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT...

I use Mobile 1 Synthetic 75W-90. The bottle runs about $12 the last time I bought one and you can get atleast 5 changes out of the bottle. Don't remember how many I got out of it. Most here I believe run synthetic.