Power commander vs Cobra Fi2000r

Thread: Power commander vs Cobra Fi2000r

Default Power commander vs Cobra Fi2000r

Hey everyone can you guys please help me understand the difference and which is better between a Power commander vs Cobra Fi2000r.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

A lot to read, but good info. Remember it is one guys opinion though.

Cobra Fi2000 Overview:

Cobra's Fi2000 deals directly with the fuel injection signal after it leaves the factory ECU. It adjusts your fuel requirements without tricking sensors or modifying the factory settings.

Technical Breakdown:

The Fi2000 is not an interceptor and it does not alter factory air/fuel computer tales or pulse-width calculations. It taps into the injector-driver circuitry of a stock bike’s EFI and selectively appends extra pulse-width voltage keeping injector's open the exact incremental time required for precise fuel enrichment. The bike’s on-board computer and wiring harness remain intact, with no wires needing to be cut. The stock air-fuel Map remains intact, as does its correlation to the engine’s volumetric efficiency (breathing) curve.The Fi2000 is simple to adjust. Two adjustable dials (pods) and circuitry in the control unit (1) define the breakpoint between cruise and “main-jet” RPM, (2) the length of time and magnitude for auxiliary transitional enrichment.

Cobra Fi2000 Installation:

The Fi2000 box is an easy installation and can be set up in your garage without the need for a laptop computer. Although the Fi2000 we tested was missing some parts.

Cobra Fi2000 Pros:

Simple to setup and relatively inexpensive.

Cobra Fi2000 Cons:

The Fi2000 box has only three adjustments, so your really limited to what adjustments you can make. Appears to be a cheap knock off of the TFI. Why not just buy a TFI?

Cobra Fi2000 Software:

None required.

Dynojet PC III Overview:

The Power Commander (PC) is a fuel injection and ignition timing (on some models) adjustment unit that plugs "inline" with the bikes' stock ECU. The PC uses original equipment style connectors so that no splicing or cutting of the harness is required. Changes are made to the bikes fuel and ignition curves via the PC's onboard microprocessor. This technology offers a large area of adjustment without making any permanent changes to the bikes' ECU (electronic control unit). Removing the PC returns the bike to its previous stock condition. The Power Commander can be ordered preprogrammed with a your choice of several settings, based on the modifications to your bike. The unit also comes complete with software and cable link that allows you to change between different maps or make adjustments to a map file.

Technical Breakdown:

Sensor Manipulation Boxes basically lie to your bike’s computer about engine sensor values in a way that influences it to change fuel delivery in a pre-planned way. Unfortunately, this expensive scheme breaks down when your engine encounters temperature and altitude conditions that require the enrichment you were depending on to enhance performance and ridability. Also for diagnostic work that needs to be done using the Scanalyzer, the Power Commander needs to be disconnected.

Dynojet PC III Installation:

Very simple to install, simply plug the unit between the ECU and sensors.

Dynojet PC III Pros:

Only product we tested that removes fuel.

Dynojet PC III Cons:

The power commander actually gets in between the sensors and the ecm. The power commander requires the user to input different values to ecm so it can create a different map than normal. This is all done on a fourth gear roll on with a dyno in conjunction with thier software and they achieve good results, in fourth gear. Power commander technology is rpm based. Techlusion technology is load based. My question to you is: Do you think that your bike requires the same amount of fuel in fourth as it does in second?

Dynojet PC III Software:

The software gave us the error "File and Power Commander versions incompatible". But the Dynojet tech support got us through it.

Techlusion TFI Overview:

Techlusion’s TFI is different in its method of adjustment by dealing directly with the fuel injection signal after it leaves the factory ECU. It adjusts your fuel requirements without tricking sensors or modifying the factory settings. By just adjusting the TFI to the off position there is no need to remove the unit to return the bike to its previous stock condition.

Technical Breakdown:

The TFI is not an interceptor and it does not alter factory air/fuel computer tales or pulse-width calculations. It taps into the injector-driver circuitry of a stock bike’s EFI and selectively appends extra pulse-width voltage keeping injector's open the exact incremental time required for precise fuel enrichment. The bike’s on-board computer and wiring harness remain intact, with no wires needing to be cut. The stock air-fuel Map remains intact, as does its correlation to the engine’s volumetric efficiency (breathing) curve.The TFi is simple to adjust. Four adjustable dials (pods) and circuitry in the control unit (1) define the breakpoint between cruise and “main-jet” RPM, (2) the length of time and magnitude for auxiliary transitional enrichment, (3) and the incremental enrichment in tenths of milliseconds for the three operating ranges.

Techlusion TFI Installation:

The TFI box is an easy installation and can be set up in your garage without the need for a laptop computer (which the Power Commanders really need).

Techlusion TFI Pros:

The TFI box (that stands for Techlusion Fuel Injection) is made by the guy that founded DYNOJET. Besides the obvious, the price, the TFI works really well on your real world road bikes, whereas Power Commanders were designed for race bikes which could be used on road bikes, this TFI box is designed for road bikes. This means that you are going to get a much more defined and accurate set up for real world riding. And with a working accelerator pump circuit, reacts like a finely tuned carburator.

Techlusion TFI Cons:

None

Techlusion TFI Software:

None required, definitely not USB compliant : )
    2008 Black M109R2, Debeavered, Rivco slotted risers,Rear signal relocation,Front signal relocation,2.25 lowered,Kuryakyn slotted mirrors,M109R Derby cover,Cycle House slotted levers, gutted exhaust, except for cat,Original style " Tony mod",Rifle windshield with lowers,Sissy bar and back rest,Techlusion TFi 2054ST,LeatherLyke hard bags, Gel seats,TRE4,K&N drop ins.

Quote Originally Posted by Getlow109 View Post
    Hey everyone can you guys please help me understand the difference and which is better between a Power commander vs Cobra Fi2000r.

The difference is the PC is more detail oriented in it's fueling ability & can add or remove fuel as needed every 500 rpms as programmed.
    The Cobra add's fuel but across a broader rpm range without the ability to remove fuel stock programming.
    Better? Well what do you want to do with it?
    Do you want the ability to have absolute best performance at every possible point on your tach? (PC3
    Do you want to add a big air kit & pipes & insure you have enough fuel without extra fuss?(Cobra/ techlusion)

I went with the FI2000R. Because I can self adjust it at anytime. Plus saving some money is a bonus.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE

For most folks a Cobra FI2000R will do all they want. If you want that last 2-3 hp and don't mind spending time and money dyno tuning it, then go for the PC3. If you want something simple to adjust that does the job, go for the Cobra. I use it and it works great.

If you plan on running nitrous or adding a turbo, then your only choice is something like the PC3 that can run multiple maps.

Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself.

Very Active Member Square Rounder's Avatar

Do not forget the PCV with autotune.

Plug and play and you basically ride a dyno that can tune as you go.

Nothing to toy or monkey with in the hope of getting it 'good enough'.

JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Square Rounder View Post
    Do not forget the PCV with autotune.

Plug and play and you basically ride a dyno that can tune as you go.

Nothing to toy or monkey with in the hope of getting it 'good enough'.

JMHO
    I'll not argue that this may be a "better" setup, but like Zoom said, for the money the module's hard to beat. Yes, if you want to extract every morsel of hp the PC V is the way to go, but don't forget you'll be spending lots of extra cash to get that minimal HP gain.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '07 Black - Debeavered, Radiant LEDs
    Dobeck Module, K&Ns, Roadhouse Pipes

Thanks Guys I think the Cobra or the TFI will be what I need mostly the Cobra. I am going to change the pipes and intake exhaust.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masochist View Post
    I'll not argue that this may be a "better" setup, but like Zoom said, for the money the module's hard to beat. Yes, if you want to extract every morsel of hp the PC V is the way to go, but don't forget you'll be spending lots of extra cash to get that minimal HP gain.
    One thing I like about the idea of the PCV Auto tune is you don't have to modify your maps if you modify either the exaust or air intake. The autotune will take care of it withougt having to head back down to the Dyno shop.

2008 Grey M109R tach relocated, lowered 2", 250 back tire, 2" riser extensions,Squirrel side mounted licence plate, Mini LED turn signal, Rifle windshield,Cobra swept exhaust, PCV and JSD-3M.

I have a cpouple of the Cobras that I am going to sell if you are interested. Nothing wrong with them they are great, I am going with the Dyno and NOS. PM me if you are interested.

Beat the 5 o’clock rush – Leave work at noon.
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph.