M109 Rider Forums banner

getting scratches out of polished aluminum

30K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  AWESOME109 
#1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions on how to get scratches out of polished aluminum

#2 ·
I don't know how deep your scratches are.Did you try polishing them out by hand.You need too hand polish in the same direction it was polished with the wheel.I had a professional do my forks,the rest i'm doing myself.He was tell me to use a polish/detailing cloth.Dupont E-4145 $10.00 for a pack of 50.They do work great and they don't leave scratches after you polish by hand.

#5 ·
polish aluminum

Just do the area that is scratched, If they are real light hair line scratches just hit it with a wet sand of 1500 or 2000. you can probably go the same direction the current marks are. If you have a buffing wheel hit it with with some polsih (probably red) then try some mothers. take your time don't hurry and you should be able to get them out. Not a big deal to do, just have patience.

#6 ·
......use a polish/detailing cloth.Dupont E-4145 $10.00 for a pack of 50.They do work great and they don't leave scratches after you polish by hand.
I caught this in a thread that Zoom had posted in the other day. It use to be frustrating to polish out the alumn with micro fiber towels and still be able to see small scratches. Zoom said use old sweat shirt material or polishing cloths to avoid this. It works.:bigthumbsup:

But yeah as others have said if it's more than that wet sand and repolish.

#10 ·
:welcome: to BullriderRider. Great to see the husband and wife teams join up. :D

I save all my old sweatshirts for polishing. I read that on the Hot Flash website, something about using cross weave fabric, which sweatshirts are, and avoiding microfiber towels for anything except paint. It's worked for me.

Use 2000 grit wet sand, and if that doesn't take them out drop down to 1500 grit wet sand then go back to the 2000 grit for the final sanding. It will take a little sanding to get them out. Follow up with either Mother's Billet Polish or the Hot Flash polish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.